BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you suggest for a good bag to cary lil things.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Moved to gear from WTB

You'll get more responses here. People can't reply to Buy and Sell ads.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a $12 backpack from walmart. don't bother spending millions on something you are going to tear to shit in 6 months.

·
100%GOON
1,908 Posts
Coolio is our resident BackPack expert...Maybe he will post up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My girlfriend just bought me the new Joe Rocket Blaster backpack. Its quite big once expaned, carries a helmet fully protected, and is rain resistant. The straps are quite good and out of the way or have elastic cuffs to hold them down.

http://www.joerocket.com/jrf/home.cfm

It's not cheap but I carry shit to and from work every day so for me its a good buy.

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
"Sash" style bag works best for me. As long as it also has a waist belt it won't budge. Why a sash bag over a traditional backpack? Because the sash bag does not restrict your shoulders in any way. Look at the Oakley ones.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
doug said:
a $12 backpack from walmart. don't bother spending millions on something you are going to tear to shit in 6 months.
The reason your backpacks fall apart after 6 months is probably because they cost $12.

Although not specifically for riding....
I think that Mountain Equipment Co-op makes, by far, the best, most durable backpacks on the planet. I kid you not, I still use a day-pack bought from MEC when I was in Grade 10...so that would've been 1995 or 1996. It's at least a decade old, nonetheless. This backpack accompanied me on a shitload of hiking day-trips, carried my books from grade 10 -12, then through my whole undergrad degree. It's the only back-pack I've ever used for motorcycling, including a 2-week long tour of the US westcoast & Nevada, most of it through very bad weather. Oh yeah, and I use it everytime I go dirtbiking too!

I think at the time that backpack cost $35 or so. Pretty cheap. I still use it for my gym stuff.

Last year Sewman and I travelled around India for about a month...all we carried were backpacks we had gotten from MEC. He then kept going throughout China and Australia for another few months. Let me tell you, these backpacks behaved better than any luggage I have every used for travelling...absolutely bullet-proof through any sort of abuse.

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is....go check out what they have to offer at MEC. :laughing

Actually, I know they have a bunch of cycling bags, and they may work well for motocycling - as long as they don't fit too tight over leathers.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Harps said:
The reason your backpacks fall apart after 6 months is probably because they cost $12.
that's exactly my point. i've tried expensive backpacks, i've tried cheap. they all tear seams or straps the same. a $70 backpack will fall apart just as fast as a $12 one, so i rather waste a lesser amount of money.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
The best backpack for riding is a TANK BAG. In the event of a drop/fall, you won't have your backpack-stashed items causing discontinuities in your spinal column.

If you do decide to get a backpack anyway, heed this advice: Never place anything larger or harder than a grapefruit in it.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
doug said:
that's exactly my point. i've tried expensive backpacks, i've tried cheap. they all tear seams or straps the same. a $70 backpack will fall apart just as fast as a $12 one, so i rather waste a lesser amount of money.
Did you read the three paragraphs I wrote after that?

Not all $70 backpacks are created equal...buy a good one, it will last you forever. You have no idea how much shit mine have gone through, and still going strong.

MEC stuff rocks. Period.

If your MEC bag fell apart within six months (assuming you didn't take a pair of scissors to it or something), I'm sure you'd get a full refund or replacement bag...because their customer service is just as good as their product. Not that you would have to deal with this situation anyway, because it wouldn't fall apart min the first place. :p

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
Harps said:
MEC stuff rocks. Period.
And overpriced as well. You can buy the same Chinese made crap they sell anywhere else usually for 10-25% cheaper.

Their prices on Pelican cases was just wrong. Plain wrong. Everywhere else was at least $50 cheaper and it was shipped to my door $50 cheaper.

Gregory packs. Can't really be beat. Mil-spec plus is good too. ACU makes a very robust pack but it a little too utilitarian for some.

A $12 pack bought once a year 10 times will be better than a $120 one every 5 years. Have you smelled a 5 year old back pack?

Devil's advocate: I do have an "Outdoor Products" pack that I got at the X-Games back in 1996. Still works fine for me. I wash it often and it still have that funky rubbery smell to it that old packs get.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I stand by MEC stuff too. The bags that MEC design and manufacture (not other name brand stuff) is rock solid. I've had, for years, a duffel bag that's been all over, loaded with tons of stuff, in and out of tour busses, cars, the back of trucks, I don't baby my gear and don't much tolerate stuff that won't hold up. This duffel currently shows no signs of wear whatsoever. Check them out, they have lots of well designed stuff for good prices.

Again... I comment only on MEC brand stuff. Other brands sold at MEC may be overpriced crap, but not usually.

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
Squint said:
The bags that MEC design and manufacture (not other name brand stuff) is rock solid.
They don't manufacture anything. They purchase stuff out of the "taiwan catalogue" universe and get their name put on it. Other companies do the same. You can buy everything there on other sites with different names/logos on it at a cheaper price.

The only handy thing is that you can actually walk into MEC and purchase product as opposed to buying from the aforementioned dealers and getting it shipped to you.

As for products like the Pelican cases I mentioned or Protec helmets for example, cheaper everywhere else. MEC is not a deal in my books.

MEC is capilanoflage.

·
What's the speed of dark?
163 Posts
I actually work for a company that makes backpacks here in Vancouver - yes, the expensive ones.
Are they the best - yes, if you actualy want to use them a ton doing stuff thepack was designed for. Like bikes, the good ones are designed for some specific uses (ski touring, trekking the Himilaya, hauling your confuser to the office, etc.).
Or dragging around shit while perched on a motorbike at 100 clicks.
Good ones usually last longer, and tend to have more features.But more features is not necessarily good for motocyclists, as it usually means extra straps blowing around in the breeze.
My suggestion - go with a good name brand, but get a pack without a lot features, and - big one here - one that allows you to actually sit on a sport bike without the back of your helmet banging into it.
I have been using the same pack now for - wait for it - seven years, of which four of those are commuting everyday by motorcycle (except for those 15 or so exceptional days that it snowed here - I have my limits).
A good pack can be washed out regularly in the bathtub, so no, it doesn't smell.
My pack is an Arc'teryx Sebring - unfortunatly it's no longer made, but it's still going strong.

So fork out a $50 for a pack that'll last you a while - like the MEC Spirit, or a whole $69 for a Deuter Race EXP (this one looks cool too). Unless you regualry throw it under a moving bus, a decent one will last you...

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
cosworth said:
A $12 pack bought once a year 10 times will be better than a $120 one every 5 years. Have you smelled a 5 year old back pack?
Haha, did you gloss over that part of my post too Cos? I bought that pack 10+ years ago for $35...do the math, that's about $3.50/year. And FYI, this pack gets thrown in the wash after every dirt-ride (because it's usually caked in mud) or touring trip...it's survived 30+ washes just fine (thank you MEC quality) and smells like a fresh towel.

I stand by my statement...you can't go wrong with these things.

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
Harps said:
Haha, did you gloss over that part of my post too Cos? I bought that pack 10+ years ago for $35...do the math, that's about $3.50/year. And FYI, this pack gets thrown in the wash after every dirt-ride (because it's usually caked in mud) or touring trip...it's survived 30+ washes just fine (thank you MEC quality) and smells like a fresh towel.

I stand by my statement...you can't go wrong with these things.
Right back at 'ya. Did you read MY post?

It started with "devil's advocate". I also discussed my ten year old backapck that was free swag. 10 / $0 = $0. That's illegal math but you get the picture. So do you actually read posts or just skim them?

What smells like a fresh towel to you might offend my olfactory organ. It's an internet chat-up about a fuckin' backpack girls. Buy what you want. Your mileage may vary.

However my opinion still stands that MEC is overpriced Chinese pablum. I used to think that place was awesome. Now it's just Wal-Mart for the gore-tex crowd. There are far better options out there for outdoor gear.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey guys, im a little hestiant to ride with a pack on myself. When you fall you want to slide not roll ass over tea kettle, and i see a backpack making you roll. Seems dangerous to me, so i support tank bags.

But i was thinking of getting an axio swift or something like it because its a hard shell and might slide. Anyone else out there think like this or has anyone fallen with a pack on??

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i crashed with a backpack on a few years ago. no roll. just a very odd slide, mainly on my left shoulder and hip. it was a slower crash, so that probably had something to do with it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts