BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Wondering what everybody thinks about bike luggage, and if anyone has any specific reccomendations.

This year i'll be commuting to work, and possibly the odd weekend/daytrip to here there and everywhere. I currently have no long trips or anything planned.

Backpack seems easiest, but I worry that it might actually be a hazard to have on during a crash?

My bike is a 2009 Kawasaki ER6n.

·
padawan
1,942 Posts
For your uses a backpack is probably a good solution. I can't see it being a hazard during a crash unless you're carrying particularly scary contents.

For longer trips, a pack can get uncomfortable. I personally like saddlebags and a slim tank bag for low center of gravity, but it's mostly a matter of taste and how much stuff you like to bring (I'm a pack light person).

Lots of people like tank bags - especially the newer ones with a quick-release.

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
Hi all.

This year i'll be commuting to work, and possibly the odd weekend/daytrip to here there and everywhere.
You drive a Kawi get something you can fill with tools.... :roflmao

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,329 Posts
Saddlebags and a tailbag for long trips for sure. Your back will get tired with a backpack. Around the city a backpack will be fine.

·
Wrenching at EMS!
245 Posts
You drive a Kawi get something you can fill with tools.... :roflmao
Now now, it's still a japanese bike. Not like its a duc or something. :p

Saddlebags and a tailbag for long trips for sure. Your back will get tired with a backpack. Around the city a backpack will be fine.
^^ This. I went to calgary and back and had my backpack strapped to the tail. No way would I have been comfortable with anything on me for the longer hauls

·
Katani Kalan
909 Posts
Backpack and small tank bag for me. Have ridden to cali and back with this set up and truthfully don't notice backpack on when riding. I've got the Joe Rocket Blaster pack holds quite a bit and comfortable.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have all, and used all combinations of backpack, tail bag, Hard side bag, tank bag, cargo net.

Sidebag is the best by far..

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I ride to school (North Van to UBC) I usually ride with my backpack with laptop, charger, and a textbook and binder or two. It has good shoulder straps that can tighten right up, along with a chest strap and a waist strap. The weight of the computer and books is noticeable by the end of the trip, but doesn't affect my riding hugely. Not sure how well I'd fare in a crash though....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Super convenient, waterproof, simple access, push button removal, top-case FTW:

What Chia said. Best part is - Place stuff you want to store into backpack, insert backpack into top case. When you arrive at destination remove backpack from top case insert helmet and lock case. What would you rather be lugging around? I have found it is best way to keep the helmet safe when I am at Starbucks.

·
Registered
920 Posts
What Chia said. Best part is - Place stuff you want to store into backpack, insert backpack into top case. When you arrive at destination remove backpack from top case insert helmet and lock case. What would you rather be lugging around? I have found it is best way to keep the helmet safe when I am at Starbucks.
Agreed! backpack in top case worked great.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
When I was taking lots of stuff to work, I used a backpack but otherwise I'd rather not.

Tankbag is nice for long distances, I'll sometimes rest an arm on it or even lie on it for a bit. And strap some random bag behind me, easily holds enough for a few days. The tank bag holds quick access stuff, tools, chain lube etc. and has a map pocket on top for the directions if needed. I'll also wear a small camelback, I don't even notice it.

But I don't like the magnetic tank bag for taking on/off too much, so for commuting I strap it behind me. More convenient for fill-ups too.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When I ride to school (North Van to UBC) I usually ride with my backpack with laptop, charger, and a textbook and binder or two. It has good shoulder straps that can tighten right up, along with a chest strap and a waist strap. The weight of the computer and books is noticeable by the end of the trip, but doesn't affect my riding hugely. Not sure how well I'd fare in a crash though....
Not too bad, I used to do North Van to UBC with all that in a shoulder bag... now that you could feel by the end.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Show us picture of how much shit you plan on hauling around and we'll make a proper recommendation for you.
Well, ideally I'd like to haul as little as possible back and forth to work during the week, probably nothing more than my lunch, and MAYBE a change of clothes.

As for the odd weekend trip.. a camera, a set of clothes, a drink, gps/map. usual weekend stuff like that. (actually, i shouldn't say 'usual weekend stuff' .. I rather suspect some of the people on here get up to some pretty fucked up weekend activities. )

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
tank bag, saddle bags or a tail bag. Anything but a back pack. I only use a back pack when I've got no other choice.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My vote goes for top case... Just throw shit in, no worries about things getting squished, won't have to fart around trying to fit stuff in, pops off or locks on, lockable, can just enjoy the ride without shit on yur back. Nice to be able to carry a few tools, rain gear, visor, etc. More $, but best... Mount rack, then maybe can find used.... Givi best but most $. Shad also very good and slightly less $. Can sometimes find cases that were used on scooters and can be enough size. They don't look all that great and tend to get blemished up but the name brands plastics seem to hold hold up very well....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My vote goes for top case... Just throw shit in, no worries about things getting squished, won't have to fart around trying to fit stuff in, pops off or locks on, lockable, can just enjoy the ride without shit on yur back. Nice to be able to carry a few tools, rain gear, visor, etc. More $, but best... Mount rack, then maybe can find used.... Givi best but most $. Shad also very good and slightly less $. Can sometimes find cases that were used on scooters and can be enough size. They don't look all that great and tend to get blemished up but the name brands plastics seem to hold hold up very well....
Ditto...i'm using two hard bags now, one side carries my work stuff, lunch, bike lock, etc....second side carries a change of clothes, so i can participate in group rides after work. the side bags work even better if you plan to go touring or an all day ride. extra pair of shoes/flip flops and water goes a long way at remote locations.

This is my set-up...photo from seaside, oregon (arrived same day we left)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

If you are going to UBC with only a backpack or tank bag, i don't think you want to be hanging on to your helmet and gear, when you are in class or between classes. your side cases (or top box) should at least fit your helmet.

Hard bags are pricey, but in the end it's worth the extra money...you don't need to buy a backpack or tank bag plus you can lock up your gear. You need to find out what works best for you, and what your bike is set up for.

JC Whitney sells the top box for under $100...it uses the same GIVI mount. (i'm using Kappa ones now)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts