BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
So I'm finally looking to upgrade my bike :rockon , had my eye on the 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600. Thing is, after financing and all I'm going to be on a strict budget for insurance costs, etc. So could anyone tell me roughly what it will cost to insure for a year on the gixxer? I assume that since its going to be in a larger class its going to be more than my EX500 which is at around 75.00. My driver's discount is at 25% last I checked.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I'd go to the nearest autoplan broker and get a FREE and accurate quote.

R

·
0 Posts
for basic, it'll be the same as your EX500
for premiums...if you decide to get full coverage, expect something over 2000

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
For full coverage on my K3 gixxer 750 its $153 per month, thats with full coverage, 43% discount. But as said above, just go into the nearest AutoPlan office and they can quote it for you. Its based on value and the CC's of the bike.

J

·
0 Posts
i'm paying $335 a month for my '05 600RR and that's only for 6 months. my discount is only 15% or something like that cause i've only been driving for 4 years though.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Jayjay said:
i'm paying $335 a month for my '05 600RR
Holy crap! Does that come with knee pads too? I dont even pay that much for my car and my bike put together.

R

·
0 Posts
Jayjay said:
i'm paying $335 a month for my '05 600RR and that's only for 6 months. my discount is only 15% or something like that cause i've only been driving for 4 years though.
you sure you have a 15% discount..not a 15% surcharge? O.O

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so if i go into a broker to get a quote they don't charge me? can you phone in or do you have to go in in person? i always thought they gauged you with some kind of fee to get a quote.

Jayjay said:
wouldn't it be cheaper for you to insure it for the year and just turn in the plates when the season is over?

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
janesee said:
so if i go into a broker to get a quote they don't charge me? can you phone in or do you have to go in in person? i always thought they gauged you with some kind of fee to get a quote.

wouldn't it be cheaper for you to insure it for the year and just turn in the plates when the season is over?
you can even get a quote over the phone.

yes, insuring for a whole year and cancelling when you're putting the bike away (and replacing with storage) is the cheap way to do it.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,463 Posts
declared value will affect it living in the lower mainland means big surcharge for theft and collision. I saved almost half when I went through coast capital. They quoted me $600 for one year collision and comp. ICBC wanted $1100 for 6 months coverage. That is with 43% discount too!!

J

·
0 Posts
Ratzilla said:
you sure you have a 15% discount..not a 15% surcharge? O.O
am i really paying to much? i have no idea how much i should be paying since its my first bike. i'll probably go to coast capital tommorow for a quote. i was gonna hold off on insuring it because i still don't have my gear but i had to because honda financing requires that you insure the bike once it leaves the dealership of something along those lines.

slam said:
you can even get a quote over the phone.

yes, insuring for a whole year and cancelling when you're putting the bike away (and replacing with storage) is the cheap way to do it.
how much does it cost to cancel insurance?

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Jayjay said:
how much does it cost to cancel insurance?
there is a cancellation fee of a few bucks, but I can't recall the figure...

but it doesn't matter since they waive it when you're putting a storage policy on in place of the regular insurance (and vice versa when you're switching back)

·
Registered
232 Posts
the rate class you are in is the 400-750cc class i believe. There are 3 classes, and after that, its all about your claimed value of the bike and how much coverage you get, minus your discount. The cancellation fee is $30.

R

·
0 Posts
Jayjay said:
so i went into coast capital today and the lady there told me it wouldn't be worth it to change it to 1 year cause i was already charged for short term license surcharge and short term ins. surcharge. then i'd have to pay a new plate fee and cancellation fee if i canceled. i dunno, i'm so confused!
if you have insurance already you should wait till it expires before getting new insurance...

J

·
0 Posts
so i went into coast capital today and the lady told me that it wouldn't be worth it to change from 6 months to 1 year because they already charged me with a short term license surcharge ($10.00) and a short term insurance surcharge ($88.00), which are non-refundable. i would also have to pay a new plate fee ($18.00) and a cancellation fee ($30.00) if i canceled. i dunno, i'm so confused!

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Some handy points about insurance:

1. You can get a free quote by phone from most Autoplan dealers.

2. If you can't afford buying 12 months of insurance outright, consider buying 6 months at a time. You pay a small premium for not buying the full year, but it's still cheaper than any of the monthly plans.

3. If you can't afford to buy a policy outright, look at the monthly plans. Autoplan 6, Autoplan 12, etc. I think there's even Autoplan 8 if you want it. However: I recommend never buying any monthly plan other than Autoplan 12. If you get anything less, you pay the extra premium for the shorter insurance term (like buying 6 months outright) *and* you pay interest on the loan that you're paying off monthly. Instead, buy Autoplan 12, and cancel it at the end of the season whenever the weather craps out. This way, you can turn the "12" into a 7, 8, 9, etc. depending on what the weather does at the end of the season, rather than taking a guess that many months earlier.

4. There is a cancellation fee when you cancel your insurance before the term is up. I think it's the same regardless of whether you cancel a pre-paid 12-month term or an Autoplan 12 term, but I think there's someone here who works for an Autoplan dealer who can confirm that. This fee can be waived if you take out a storage policy for winter when you cancel your insurance (storage policies are a good idea anyway).

5. As others pointed out, the insurance is broken into Basic (which is fixed depending on which category your bike fits into) and Optional (which varies depending on bike value, type, accessories, etc.) coverages.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts