BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a work trip to Calgary, and am taking the bike as I've never ridden through the Canadian Rockies before. (After my employer pays the KMs I actually make money!) I know the road from Banff to Calgary is boring as shit, so is 1A a nice alternative? I've flown into Calgary many times and always look down on some great curvy roads in the foot hills. Sometimes I even see flocks (herds? schools? murders?) of bikes carving trough the corners.

I'll be leaving Banff in the late afternoon, and don't want to get into Calgary too late, but I don't mind going a more circuitous route if the road is worth it. Any nice suggestions? My destination is NE Calgary, so I'd prefer not hitting the city from the SW as that's just a bitch.

My return will be via Montana, Idaho, and good ol SR20 through WA.

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
Takes 2 hours instead of 1
And yes; 1a is a beautiful road

·
Registered
33 Posts
1A is way better as it actually has a couple corners, just watch for sheep and/or people wandering on the road. Since you don't want to approach the city from the south it rules out taking highway 40 down to Longview & then back up. Not too many other choices unless you have an adventure/dirt bike. If you come in on 1A you'll probably want Stoney Trail to get to the NE.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Hwy 40 to Longview does look nice, and I can hit the bottom of Stoney Trail which will take me pretty much straight to my hotel on 36th Ave. NE @ Hwy 1. It will depend how tired we are leaving Banff, our day will start in Kelowna via Hwy 6, 23, and #1.

@unknown_42428 as a local maybe you can suggest a good route from Calgary to the border that doesn't involve Hwy 2? Hwy 22 to Pincher Creek and 6 to the border look good from Google maps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd take #2 to Nanton & go west on 533 (hi speed sweepers) to connect to #22 south. At hwy 3 go east or west depending on where you want to cross the border. I assume you are thinking Pincher Creek to either go through or around Glacier. Be aware "Going to Sun" could be cold & slow but had just opened last I heard.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info on Going to the Sun, I hadn't checked on it, assuming it would be open. I've done it before so its not a big deal to go around to the south, but it is incredibly scenic. Last time I was on it several years ago it ended up taking almost twice as long due to construction. By slow, do you mean slow due to traffic volume, or construction / snow clearing? Will plan to hit it midday on a Monday, so hopefully traffic won't be too much of an issue.

·
Registered
18,858 Posts
Whatever you do, stay away from Albertans on sportbikes. I'm not kidding, you may come across a diamond who knows how to ride... but most of them
are down right disasterous. Just look at the rear tire for indications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts