BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so what I am thinking is that a generator and a regulator/rectifier ….In short, the whole bloody charging system can be knocked out if the bat starts dying. In other words: the electrolyte leaves after a while, and then the plates start to collapse in and eventually the mother fucker shorts. Anyhow—to make a short story long--all that charging system shit is probably over 500.00 for my 954. A new bat is what… 100.00? Mine is not dead yet-- I ride year around and charge it once a week, however, it is 3 ½ years old…whaddaya think, slap a new one up in that piece?

·
Registered
401 Posts
slowzuki said:
Ok so what I am thinking is that a generator and a regulator/rectifier ….In short, the whole bloody charging system can be knocked out if the bat starts dying. In other words: the electrolyte leaves after a while, and then the plates start to collapse in and eventually the mother fucker shorts. Anyhow—to make a short story long--all that charging system shit is probably over 500.00 for my 954. A new bat is what… 100.00? Mine is not dead yet-- I ride year around and charge it once a week, however, it is 3 ½ years old…whaddaya think, slap a new one up in that piece?
Didn't you say in another thread you have 70,000km on your bike? I would say time for a new battery, good life out of the stocker.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah...perhaps you're right...but she still starts...

·
Registered
401 Posts
slowzuki said:
yeah...perhaps you're right...but she still starts...
Then I would not worry about it. Honda makes a good tough bike, doubt if it will be a problem(the electrical system, not battery). Replace when need be then.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
Sounds like you've been taking good care of your battery and it still works fine. Replacement seems unnecessary to me.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
If you can say for sure that it cranks at more or less the same speed it always has then keep on keepin' on. But at the first sign of it getting lazy after sitting for a few days then you'll know it's pretty close to its time.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I agree with Bruce. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah Bruce...it's getting lazy afer a few cold nights of sitting in my garage...Look like it might be time...*sigh*

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
seroiulsy.. don't risk it..
just take it in and get it tested and fixed.
the LAST thing you wanted to do is being stranded on cypress after a group ride...
then you'll say to yourself "i told u so" speech.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
slowzuki said:
yeah Bruce...it's getting lazy afer a few cold nights of sitting in my garage...Look like it might be time...*sigh*
That's the first sign. When it's lazy after a few days in the cold then it's on it's way out.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
A lot of Honda's had crappy/overheating reg/rec's anyway, it wouldn't take much of an electrical system problem to stress them. But you'll likely notice the symptoms of a battery on the way out beforehand if you're keeping a sharp eye.

A better question is: is it worth the price of a new battery now to save you the hassle of getting stranded on the side of the road in the next year or two?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
No one likes slowzuki, so I say let ‘em keep the old battery 'till he gets stranded, and as for Bruce, whatever he says I disagree with anyways.

:evilgrin

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chumly said:
No one likes slowzuki, so I say let ‘em keep the old battery 'till he gets stranded, and as for Bruce, whatever he says I disagree with anyways.

:evilgrin
Holy, who pissed in your cornflakes this morn?:surrender

1 - 14 of 14 Posts