BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pixel Hustler since '88
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The name seems pretty straght forward... I'm guessing the chemical reaction that takes place inside a battery is a gas producing reaction and needs to go some where... Sooo... Would there be any damage done to the battery if this pipe were not connected?? Cause the person the installed my battery a year ago didn't do this...

·
Unregistered User
192 Posts
I am voting for no damage done. It's just there for breathing, it'll still breath without the tube. I would suggest putting it back on asap though, as the gas (combustable) and liquid (acid) that can go out that pipe is no good for the bike and you want it to go to the ground.

D

·
0 Posts
the better question would be does your newer battery even have the nipple for the tube?

bruce the tech god would know better, but i don't think modern batteries have the breather any more. the caps are vented instead, or they are sealed no maintenance batteries.

put a battery in my jet ski last year, and spent the summer researching the mystery tube running the length of the hull. the unused breather hose.

·
Pixel Hustler since '88
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doug said:
the better question would be does your newer battery even have the nipple for the tube?

bruce the tech god would know better, but i don't think modern batteries have the breather any more. the caps are vented instead, or they are sealed no maintenance batteries.

put a battery in my jet ski last year, and spent the summer researching the mystery tube running the length of the hull. the unused breather hose.
Opps... Sorry... Forgot to mention Yeah... Mine had a nipple I've connected the breathing tube on to the battery right after I found out... I haven't really noticed anything different... but I'm guessing it's not there for show...

·
mike was taken
530 Posts
that drain tube dumps acid that can come out of the battery, unless it's a new gell-cell
you definetly want that tube connected and run it as close to the ground as you can get and as far away from the chain as possible
acid will eat your chain or any grease out of the bearings(also destroy the bearing surfaces) for your rear pivot points

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
The tube's main purpose in life is to carry acid away from the bike in a tip over, boil over, etc. If the battery has the nipple use the tube, if it's a high tech sealed beast, there will be no nipple, so no need for the tube.

Tube Nipple, Nipple Tube, Tube Nipple, Nipple Tube……….

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I see that all this nipple and tube talk has gotten a few of you all excited... :D

It's all been covered. Nipple? Use the tube because the acid is liquid and hydrogen is given off when charging. No nipple? You've got a gel type that uses a chemical additive to absorb and release the gases as required and avoid the pressure buildup that would otherwise occur.

The gel batteries still have a little pressure release safety valve but since the electrolyte is gelled this is only for release of excess gas.

..... and I don't want to see any "battery fart" jokes as a result of this... :D

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
I saw first hand why the tube has to be installed.....after a tip over. Definitelty get a tube.

Speaking of nipples, bruce I am reminded about your 'tit' avatar a few years back :p

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Ah yes... I remember it like it was only yesterday.... must be the Alzhiemers catching up with me.... Tits were about everywhere you looked. It was a grand time what with their songs decorating the air and how they flitted hither and yon.. and yon and hither. It brings a smile to my face to see them, it does. Wonderous things they are......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts