BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to ressurect if this is a dead post...I suuck at searching (just lazy)

So my reg/rec on my '03 CBR with 1100kms i just bought on it is pooched.

The crappy thing, is it fried the new battery I put in it last month

Anyways, Honda says I need a new battery and wants to charge mf $180 for a new one.

What should I do?

The shitty one I bought from Modern was $65? I could get THREE of those,

Is there any reason I should pay more or buy a better battery?

-E

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
No! Call around you'll find a way better price then $180 :rolleyes

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Bike batteries suck for life anyways. Buy a cheaper one if you can find it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Try polar battery on Boundary, their very good, the reason I know that is because we have a sailboat and the thing lives on battery power. But to give you an idea I went in because I thought my car battery was at the end and the guy whips out a $2000 tester and tells me NO WAY go home and charge this things far from dead. Ya gotta like that.

Good luck and a cheap bike battery should be fine if its taken care of.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Or Edmonds battery on Edmonds between Kingsway and Canada Way or see Bill at the Cheap Battery Emporium aka 5thGear.

They all last about as long as the next if they are cared for properly.

That's a doozy of a markup.

M

·
0 Posts
forget all that and go to lordco on marine( go and see mike foster) PM me and u can use my dicsount account.
for very good batt u will pay 90$ but this one is really good

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Edmonds Batteries on (oddly enough) Edmonds in Burnaby (just up the road from Burnaby Kawasaki) has a widespread reputation of being a great place to get batteries. I bought a replacement battery there when the factory original died in my Civic. It died 1 year later almost to the day, but Edmonds replaced it for free. It lasted until the car was written off 5 years later, probably would have gone longer. The only motorcycle battery I bought there lasted four years in my Nighthawk (haven't needed a new one for the VFR until this year), then I sold the bike. For all I know it's still going.

Give them a call to see if they have one in stock for you, if not they'll get it in a day or two. They'll also put it on charge for you the day before you pick up, so you get a fully charged battery. Great service, IMO.

M

·
0 Posts
The better you look after a battery the less you need to spend. The less you look after a battery the more you need to spend. Sealed cells are my favorite. But becarefull because cheap batteries can be over priced just as easily as factory honda batteries can be over priced. A good measure for car/bike batteries is cold cranking amps. This is the maximum output of the battery on a cold day. Better batteries will have a higher cold crank number and so it is a good gauge of quality. Always buy from someone with good warranty, because batteries can spontaniosly die for no apparent reason. Price does not necissarily remove freaks of nature. I like ot buy the best battery I can afford, and get one of those float chargers where you can leave the battery in the bike. Most people put the battery on the garage floor over the winter, and concrete floors generally suck the life out of a battery. :)

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
There have been a few threads about Honda problems with faulty reg/rec units and/or pooched stators. Honda says there's no problem yet everyone I know who owns a Honda has -over the past 2 years- replaced both [reg/rec + stator]. Me included... and my problem also included a fried wiring harness before it was all straightened out. :rolleyes

My 2kms: Please have your bike checked out thoroughly before you replace yet another battery. I'm sure (apologetically) there's more to your problem than the batter(ies). Sorry..

S

·
0 Posts
your next battery will last you 2 years, 3 months, 14 days, 8 hours, and 56 minutes.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
That's 1,187,096 minutes. Not so bad. :p [I'm in Saskatoon... not much to do here, can ya tell? :rolleyes ].

:drinkbeer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts