BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure, I could do a search and re-read old posts; but that's no fun. Let's fire up a new thread.

It's new battery time for my bike. Strangely, the 7 year old Yuasa is now only good for a boat anchor.

I was looking at lead acid, Absorbed Glass Mat and Shorai. The Shorai is certainly attractive at being 6.3 lbs lighetr than the original Yuasa.

I believe a bunch of people on here have gone the Shorai route. I'm aware they need to be charged at 13.1 v. I'm fairly certain the bike charges at 13.4v, so no problem there. I also have a pair of battery tenders with a Litium Ion mode. At 2.3 lbs vs the 8.6 lb Yuasa, that makes it very attractive.

For those that have them, how has it been for ease of use? Is this the one that has to be "warmed up" prior to attempting to start?

AGM is an option, but not for spillage, just because it's newer technology.

And then there is good old lead acid. As heavy and solid as Trumps's hair and dead simple to take care of.

What does the hive mind think?

·
Registered
368 Posts
dont the agm's have to be warmed up? tho.. that really is a non issue here.. w/e battery it is..

agm's are fine for me.. current one is 5-6 years old.. never been on a charger is sit for months at a time in the weather.. and it sits on it's side in the bike.. not sure if thats good or bad or makes a difference...

i looked into shorai but the guy was like eh.. maybe.. if it's a race bike and on sale sure... go for it. as for weight, iv'e never really noticed taking a shit and a bottle of water made my bike feel that much lighter.. not like those 6 lbs are coming out of the wheels..

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Which bike in the quiver is it?

If it's the VFR what accessories are you splicing in and what will they draw and affect the system?
It's the VFR but there isn't any extra accessories. There is one in the wee Honda already.

After seeing what the bartender says, that's nerve wracking with a spendy battery.*

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
It's the VFR but there isn't any extra accessories. There is one in the wee Honda already.

After seeing what the bartender says, that's nerve wracking with a speedy battery.*
Is the Tuono a bit of a paint shaker?

From reading up on the Lithium batteries there doesn't seem to be a downside except the price.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I had Shorai in my SV fro 3 years (then sold the bike) Never had issues. Yes, more pricey, as was their charger, but never had issues with it. Only reason i got it because place that I went to get a new battery recommended it, so I said sure. I will probably buy it again when time comes, mainly because I have a charger sitting here collecting dust. Triumph came with Yuasa, it works fine as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts