BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else like to ride the waves over in Tofino or down on the Oregon coast?

Other favorite spots?

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Jordan River is always a busy place, so is Sombrio Beach. I don't surf, I tired it once....dunno....didn't do it for me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Like peewee, I only tried it once but unlike him, I loved it... Well I should clarify that. I'm not entirely sure you could call what I did, surfing, but it involved a surfboard and a lot of falling haha. We spend a weekend in westport wa. (just north of the Oregon border) and it was pretty rad.

I'm from Nova Scotia so I used to wait for a good storm (hurricane, etc...) and hit the beach with my white water kayak. Sucks that you have to travel so far to find an open water beach out here but at least the road to Tofino is a nice ride.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have surfed the Baja, Madagascar and South Africa. Never really ridden cold water much. If you want to go on an awesome trip do the Baja for sure. Start North at a spot called ship wrecks, then "the wall" and finish off around Todos Santos. Big waves there though so you have to have big balls. Many big wave shots are taken there. I paddled out a few times, got taken for a ride over the falls and thought fuck that. It was 18 footers that day.
I drove down to the Baja from Alberta and spent 3 months camping along the shore line. There are some amazing fishing villages around which meant cheap seafood cooked on open fire. Most land is owned by ranchers who will ask for a couple of bucks every now and then. If you want a detailed guide to the Baja, there is a black and white document sold in San Diego surf shops detailing most spots. Of course there are tonnes of "hidden" spots also.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Haha....I didn't exactly surf either. More like I got to my feet then tossed on my face into the sand. Then I got the board across the back of the head, nearly knocking me out and drowning me. Great fun.

Yeah, I'm white and fat, I'll take the snow any day over the water. I like my H2O in a solid.

·
license to chill
2,852 Posts
I'm in Tofino the end of this month. Love it there. Cannon's on my list but I imagine it's more crowded so I'm in no rush.

·
Bad Motherfucker
2,456 Posts
We used to try and "Surf" in Lake Ontario.... Wait till a good storm came up and hit the water with our windsurf boards sans sails...... used to have a laugh doing it.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surfing is one of the most difficult sports I've tried.
been about 15 days in the water now and I'm hooked.
Way easier on the wallet then racing bikes!

The ocean is a bitch and must be conquered!

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Surfing is one of the most difficult sports I've tried.
Sure is, tried to surf years ago in Australia, failed miserably and amost got sucked out to sea :laughing
Not a good feeling when you realize the land is getting farther and farther away..

·
Registered
400 Posts
Not a good feeling when you realize the land is getting farther and farther away..
Ugh! I know that feeling all too well. I got into the rum and cokes and cuban beer a little too much last spring in Havana. So just about the time that I'm about as drunk as I've ever been in my life we decide it was a good idea to go swimming in the ocean with red flags flying on the beach (1st mistake) then when we get out nice and far I decide it would be funny to take my shorts off and hold them up at my sister in-law who was about 20' from me (2nd mistake) Then I couldn't get them back on in the raging surf but decided I would just keep trying until I finally did, and wound up waayy too far out to sea (3rd mistake) and then had to drag my already exhausted (and drunk) ass back to the shore. I was sober by the time I crawled back up onto the beach :roflmao

</derail>

If someone were to organize a ride to a surfing party, I would definitely be interested!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts