BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people could do with losing a couple or a few dozen kilos.

I'm definitely one of those people :laughing

Anyways, I thought, if I'm going to do this, I should do it properly. I'm going to post my diet, daily exercise and how I'm doing it.

No, I'm not posting my weight, as it's not about numbers to me. It's about feeling good, getting fit and healthy and buying clothes and not thinking "size: XXFatty".

So, today I'm buying a skipping rope and chucking out the few shitty bits and pieces of food in my house. Good bye nutella :(

My goal is to do 3+ hours of exercise EVERY day. I have so much time on my hands these days due to only working 2-4 6 hour shifts a week. (so, 12-18 hours of work a week).

This week, I have Tues, Wed and Thurs off.

I've got a date with my best mate for Yum Cha on Saturday - any tips on how to not eat shit here? I don't like fried yum cha, so always steamed, but I don't want to eat shit loads and set myself back another week or two. HELP!?!?

I'm about to head to the shops and fill my fridge and cupboards with fruit, veg, protein shake mix and other healthy options. I'll post up a list of exactly what I've bought too.

Any tips on the best exercise I could do?

Thinking jump rope, hiking, jogging/short sprints (I'm thinking soccer drills from my days of being a state soccer goalie and left forward. I was goddamned good). So thinking of getting a soccer ball too to really pump up my fitness.

Umm.. yeah, if people want to get on board with me too, it would help me for my motivation, and I'd love to help motivate others too.

I'm OVER the big me, I want the sexy and skinny me back.

And I'm not sorry for posting another off-topic thread, because this is all so I can buy some leathers one day and look like cat woman, but more awesome! :laughing

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh pics of old me, and new me:

current me - taken 2 days ago:
532618_10151916721930504_1038121988_n.jpg

old me - when i was 16 or 17 - i am the second from the front of the massage line with my head turned away (yes, i rock pig-tails):
18034_401200850503_2815927_n.jpg

haha edit: i actually dated both the guy in front and the guy behind me. random. just realised that hahaha

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that'd be cool :) I've got a womens protein shake that requires water (not milk) so I'm onto a good start, but generally I'm just happy eating fresh ingredients and only using the protein shake for one meal a day.

Is the vi body thing a specific list of how-to's or is it a product or..?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good for and all the power to You! I encourage anyone to get their hands on this book. There are currently 316 holds on 33 copies of this book at http://www.vpl.ca

"Wheat Belly. Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight and Find Your Path Back to Health".
I heard this radio interview in a cage. Signed the book out of the library and haven't touched wheat (gluten) ever since and never will as long as I live.
Not for weight loss reasons because I am too thin as it is but for all the other ailments related to gluten.
The spouse has lost 21 lbs in 3months since getting off gluten. Would have lost more but has a sweet tooth.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/news/audioplayer.html?clipid=2150942425

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

·
living the dream
1,109 Posts
I could loose about 20 started a plan 1month ago and now I have to start again.......so 20 is the goal....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Book looks interesting. I'd like to read more about its claims before I decide if it's quackery or valid nutritional science.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
shit. I thought you were a guy.

anyways, find someone who has some Synthroid. hehh hehh. That is sometimes used as a weight loss drug.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Cut the carbs. Breads, sugars, pasta, fruit, juice, pop etc. Cut it all out, and the weight will fall off fast.

Learn to love black coffee, water, black tea, etc.

Need a snack in the middle of the day? Grab a small handful of almonds with your coffee/tea, or even a tablespoon of peanut butter and a protein shake made with water. Eat LOTS of green veggies, and have plain old eggs for breakfast. Chicken and turkey are excellent low carb protein sources.

I lost 37lb in 7 weeks a couple summers ago when I cut the carbs. I was still smoking back then, and when I finally quit, I gained almost all of it back. I'm back to seriously restricted carbs, and I've lost 18lb since beginning of June.

I have an elliptical trainer in my living room, which I spend a minimum of 30 minutes a day on, even if the day is a long one. Days I have more time, I get out for a run. I have a couple of run routes that I use, between 4 and 6km, depending on how I feel. I hate running, but I enjoy finishing my run. I'm a big strong guy already, so I don't focus on very much weight training these days. I do the most basic exercises known to man. Pushups, situps, leg lifts, crunches. Basic shit that costs nothing, and doesn't even require a gym membership.

·
must have more bacon
5,434 Posts
bicycle bicycle bicycle , move yo ass woman

ps , is that a koala bear on your head

·
Super Moderator
23,555 Posts
Cut the carbs. Breads, sugars, pasta, fruit, juice, pop etc. Cut it all out, and the weight will fall off fast.

Learn to love black coffee, water, black tea, etc.

Need a snack in the middle of the day? Grab a small handful of almonds with your coffee/tea, or even a tablespoon of peanut butter and a protein shake made with water. Eat LOTS of green veggies, and have plain old eggs for breakfast. Chicken and turkey are excellent low carb protein sources.

I lost 37lb in 7 weeks a couple summers ago when I cut the carbs. I was still smoking back then, and when I finally quit, I gained almost all of it back. I'm back to seriously restricted carbs, and I've lost 18lb since beginning of June.
That's one of the big problems with "diets", is so often people gain it all back. I too did the carb (Atkins) thing about 8 years ago.

Lost 30 pounds, felt great, looked good, but like you, over time, gained a bunch back.....smoking, and quitting is a double edged sword huh?

Don't want to turn this into a diet debate, cause it's about as pointless as religious pov's , but one thing I believe, is that you need to take small steps
that can be adapted to rest of your life, and simply change the way you do things....forever. I dropped weight fast too, but I would guess that
the mass majority of people who do this, gain it all back, and some.

A healthy diet, coupled with smaller portions, and a good dose of exercise is what most people can really gain from, and are lacking, myself included, big time.

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Insultant
2,115 Posts
bicycle bicycle bicycle , move yo ass woman

ps , is that a koala bear on your head
What he said. Screw diets. It's really a simple accounting problem: calories in < calories out.

I'm on the see-food diet - see food, eat it. But when I get out there to train, I kill myself. If you want to do it right, find your max heart rate. Get a heart rate monitor, and when you train, make sure you stay within or higher than 70% of your working heart rate. Or try high intensity training - 2 minutes max., then 2 (or 1 if you can do it) rest. Then do it again. If it doesn't feel like puking, you're not doing it right.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
That's one of the big problems with "diets", is so often people gain it all back. I too did the carb (Atkins) thing about 8 years ago.

Lost 30 pounds, felt great, looked good, but like you, over time, gained a bunch back.....smoking, and quitting is a double edged sword huh?

Don't want to turn this into a diet debate, cause it's about as pointless as religious pov's , but one thing I believe, is that you need to take small steps
that can be adapted to rest of your life, and simply change the way you do things....forever. I dropped weight fast too, but I would guess that
the mass majority of people who do this, gain it all back, and some.

A healthy diet, coupled with smaller portions, and a good dose of exercise is what most people can really gain from, and are lacking, myself included, big time.
First time I was introduced to low carbs, it was a super strict diet of chicken, brocolli, eggs, protein shakes, etc. The meal plan was stupid simple, but took insane amounts of mental power to follow it. Wasn't an easy diet, but it worked FAST!

I kept most of it off for a long time, until I quit smoking. When I quit smoking, I made a conscious decision to eat like shit, weight gain be damned. I should have had frequent flyer points at DQ and Omega Pizza. I packed on 20 lb in a month, then another 10 in the months following. During that time, I educated myself on low carb foods, and have realised there are far more things to eat in the low carb world than what was in my first meal plan in 2010. I really enjoy eating this way now, and it has most definitely become a lifestyle change for me, rather than a simple diet. It's taken 2 full years to make this switch, but it's been worth it.

I completely agree though, that it's all about moderation and also keeping the body moving. Not having the cigs in my life, I've found it a LOT easier to do that as well. So even with only an 18lb weight loss this summer, my physical fitness level is greatly increased. Stronger, leaner, more alert, more active, less body aches, etc.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
The best eating lifestyle out there is the "diabetic diet"
Follow their nutrition guide and you'll be heathy.

·
license to chill
2,875 Posts
There are a lot of discussion topics to go round and round on regarding physical health. I'm going to make my contribution short and to the point:

1) Eating habits are usually a far bigger component of the equation than exercise and unfortunately often the more difficult one to maintain long-term. It takes a lot of mental strength but just pouring on the exercise without changes to your diet is an uphill battle. Keep that in mind.
2) In terms of gym/activity time: a lot ppl start off long and hard each day then burn out. This is a short-term cycle. Don't fall for it. Slow and steady definitely wins the race.

I'm in the gym a lot and have witnessed first hand very normal people take baby steps and end up with an extraordinary change. It is an amazing sight. It can be done.

Good luck.

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well let me just say firstly, I am NOT going on a diet. It's a lifestyle change. If I view this as a "diet" then I won't get anywhere.

I'm not doing the "milkshake" diets either, even thought I have a big container of the protein powder.

I'm thinking something like this:

breakfast: protein shake and 1 egg + 1 litre of water
snack: celery and/or carrot (with peanut butter if needed)
lunch: salad - tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, alfalfa, snow peas with lots of water
snack: banana/pear/apple and water OR yoghurt and water
dinner: mixed steamed vegies with some chicken and soy sauce

What I bought from the shops just then:
celery
cucumbers
carrots
oranges
cherries (just for today)
apples
pears
tomatoes
bananas
vaalia light vanilla yoghurt

+ 1 x soccer ball
+ 1 x skipping rope

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1) Eating habits are usually a far bigger component of the equation than exercise and unfortunately often the more difficult one to maintain long-term. It takes a lot of mental strength but just pouring on the exercise without changes to your diet is an uphill battle. Keep that in mind.
2) In terms of gym/activity time: a lot ppl start off long and hard each day then burn out. This is a short-term cycle. Don't fall for it. Slow and steady definitely wins the race.
re #1 - this was my worry, but what I've been eating that is bad food, I've found good replacements for. Things like cherries, light yoghurt, eggs, bananas, mandarins, oranges.
I've also understood that it's okay to be hungry, and that cutting down my meal portions is essential. Ensuring after a week of sticking to this, I won't be feeling hungry and I should be feeling fighting fit - and from there it's just a matter of seeing it through until I'd be happy with me in a bikini in public!

re #2 - I'm not going to go to the gym. There is a gym 50 metres from my house, and it costs like $40 a week. OR there is a park 2.4 k's from my house, and I can walk there at a fast pace, with soccer ball, water, skipping rope and my backpack, and save money and once I'm COMPLETELY exhausted and almost feeling like puking, I can slowly walk back home :) Plus, it's an off-leash dog park! So I can play with cute dogs while working out :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
You'll have to lighten up on that great Auzzi beer and the meat pies.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts