BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 484 Posts

·
This space for rent
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of all the recent headlines, I am recycling the 2014 version of a long standing labor dispute between gov and teachers.

Last week my wife, a teacher, took her class to the PNE (some organized science curriculum), a track meet, and Fun Day (what we used to call Sports Day). Aside from the sadness that I feel Sports Day is now Fun Day to appease the parents of fat kids, I also feel a bit conflicted that they claim to need more instructional time. I like the idea of her getting paid more to teach fewer kids but I also cheered a but when I learned of the lockout response to phase 2 strike action.

This needs a mediator, like Reddy. Election and gov change will solve nothing as teachers hope it will.

·
Unregistered User
1,601 Posts
A good start would be for the government to accept the court ruling (several of them) and stop the appeals.

They lost the case(s) accept it an move on.

Then negotiate in good faith.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Bctf played politics and helped the province to be in a billion dollar hole due to hst.

Now they want more money.

Get stuffed would be a term id use.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
The Government will keep pushing for a contract with significant concessions prior to their next court appearance.

The teachers are running out the clock. If they win the next case or not who knows.

The teachers had nothing to do with the HST boondoggle. That's squarely on the BC Liberal party. The 'read my lips; no new taxes lies" the botched launch, the floundering attempt to fight the issue instead of simply fixing the tax, the whole mess is on Victoria.

Oh by the way the our current Dear Leader is the person behind the Bills /contracts torn up that are now up before the courts. So the chance of any real negotiation is zero.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Bc teachers have a starting wage of $58,000, and go up to $88,000, they work 10 months a year, plus time off at spring, and Christmas. The have a gold plated benefit plan including the highest level defined benefit pension. There are literally thousands of unemployed teachers. School children enrolment has dropped 20% in the last 10 yrs. teachers bitch that Alberta teachers make 12% more, but they don't want to move to Alberta,,,,kind of like someone in vancouver demanding wage rates found in Ft. Mac.

Teachers can go suck rocks. And tell that idiot leader of their union to cut his stupid looking mullet off, and get a proper haircut.

·
"Missing a few pieces!'
549 Posts
Bc teachers have a starting wage of $58,000, and go up to $88,000, they work 10 months a year, plus time off at spring, and Christmas. The have a gold plated benefit plan including the highest level defined benefit pension. There are literally thousands of unemployed teachers. School children enrolment has dropped 20% in the last 10 yrs. teachers bitch that Alberta teachers make 12% more, but they don't want to move to Alberta,,,,kind of like someone in vancouver demanding wage rates found in Ft. Mac.

Teachers can go suck rocks. And tell that idiot leader of their union to cut his stupid looking mullet off, and get a proper haircut.
Uneducated opinion.
Well done.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts

winter break and spring break are 2 weeks each. plus there is a weeks worth of pro-D days. so they actually only work 8 3/4 months of the year less regular stat holidays.
never mind that they start at 8:30 and knock off at 3:30. Surely someone can come in at this point and cry about all those extra hours they put in at home.

Also they have ZERO accountability for performance or lack thereof. you basically have to assault a student to get fired as a teacher in BC.

I don't always agree with steveG, but when I do, I say fuck ya in my head a little bit.

If there was ever a union that needed to be busted, this is the one. aren't they an 'essential service'. how can they strike without penalties?
every one of these strikes causes untold lost revenue for our province and hardship for actual productive people in society. what good is a glorified baby sitting service if it cannot even perform the one function it succeeds at?

·
lover of twins
6,071 Posts

winter break and spring break are 2 weeks each. plus there is a weeks worth of pro-D days. so they actually only work 8 3/4 months of the year less regular stat holidays.
never mind that they start at 8:30 and knock off at 3:30. Surely someone can come in at this point and cry about all those extra hours they put in at home.

Also they have ZERO accountability for performance or lack thereof. you basically have to assault a student to get fired as a teacher in BC.

I don't always agree with steveG, but when I do, I say fuck ya in my head a little bit.

If there was ever a union that needed to be busted, this is the one. aren't they an 'essential service'. how can they strike without penalties?
every one of these strikes causes untold lost revenue for our province and hardship for actual productive people in society. what good is a glorified baby sitting service if it cannot even perform the one function it succeeds at?

:laughing :laughing :laughing

ok wait, let me consider these opinions seriously for a minute.

:laughing :laughing :laughing

·
This space for rent
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bc teachers have a starting wage of $58,000, and go up to $88,000
I'm seeing a provincial average range of $43,657 to $82,221. Source. Only SD #87's Category 5+ teachers have a range close to what you noted: $58K-88K. And nobody but nobody wants to work in SD #87 (Stikine). All other districts and categories are lower.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My dad taught for 15 years here in BC. He thought the pay was fair, but the politics were shit. His major complaints were class sizes creeping ever upwards, and having the retarded children in his classes sans helper. Very frustrating.

I think most teachers are saying they want more money in their pockets... but they might not realize that's just a bandaid. What they would actually enjoy is classes of 25 kids at most, and adequate funding for class supplies.

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
I'm seeing a provincial average range of $43,657 to $82,221. Source. Only SD #87's Category 5+ teachers have a range close to what you noted: $58K-88K. And nobody but nobody wants to work in SD #87 (Stikine). All other districts and categories are lower.
No wonder the teachers are bitching. A recent study showed that $40,800/yr is the minimum livable wage in Vancouver.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

I don't k of much about the politics or bargaining.

But my mom is a teacher, has been for the last 40 years and counting.
35 in Poland, last 15 here in Canada.

One time, while back I. High school I was frustrated she was never around. I mean my classes were done 14:30-15:30, so where the hell was she??

So I followed her around a bit and added up all her work hours.

Between 2-2.5 hrs prep time for every 1 teaching hour. That plus marking, admin duties and a ton of Shitty little responsibilities.

To this day she works 6 days a week, 12 hrs a day minimum.

I don't know if all of the teachers put in that much effort, but that is what it takes to be a good teacher.

When I was growing up, her students saw more of her than I did.

Just something to keep in mind when talking about 'summers off' 'winters off' bullshit.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
I don't k of much about the politics or bargaining.

But my mom is a teacher, has been for the last 40 years and counting.
35 in Poland, last 15 here in Canada.

One time, while back I. High school I was frustrated she was never around. I mean my classes were done 14:30-15:30, so where the hell was she??

So I followed her around a bit and added up all her work hours.

Between 2-2.5 hrs prep time for every 1 teaching hour. That plus marking, admin duties and a ton of Shitty little responsibilities.

To this day she works 6 days a week, 12 hrs a day minimum.

I don't know if all of the teachers put in that much effort, but that is what it takes to be a good teacher.

When I was growing up, her students saw more of her than I did.

Just something to keep in mind when talking about 'summers off' 'winters off' bullshit.
hey that's great. she sounds like a dedicated lady, but remember most of us here know a teacher or two. it's almost inevitable given how many of the suckers are out there. the ones I know pretty much laugh their asses off about how easy they have it. I have met a couple that work all summer tutoring or doing other things and make bank.

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
hey that's great. she sounds like a dedicated lady, but remember most of us here know a teacher or two. it's almost inevitable given how many of the suckers are out there. the ones I know pretty much laugh their asses off about how easy they have it. I have met a couple that work all summer tutoring or doing other things and make bank.
Not as easy as your typical BC gov office employee earning far more for doing far less.

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
After ten years the average salary for a teacher in BC is north of 80K and they want over 15% more over 3 years.

Given they only work roughly 75% of the year, have a benefits package most would kill for, and job security out the ass with zero performance standards... I think they're doing ok.

1 - 20 of 484 Posts