BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i'm looking for a beginner bike, i'm looking quite hard for a kawasaki 500ninja, anyone has it?
how are they?
i dun want anything lower than 400cc, since i rode the suzuki gs500 bike b4 in my bike lessons, n was quite comfortable on it
any other suggestions?
btw, how are the 500ninja mechanically?
what should i look for?
i dun have much clue about bike tech:(
tia:)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If you've had a course, and want a sportbike, try looking at these bikes:

Kawasaki EX500
Suzuki SV650S

Both are Awesome starter bikes.

I Prefer the SV650S, but then again I'm partial to V-Twins..

Jim.

D

·
0 Posts
i was just at <shudder>modern</shudder>and they had a gs500 on the sales floor.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Get something light.
Under low speeds heavy things are really hard to steer.
Just my two cents.
(sorry that i don't give any recomendations, but if you have the cash, go for sv650.)

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
There's a few 600's you can watch for as well that aren't too bad for first bikes. These are the Yamaha Seca II and the Suzuki Bandit 600. They are more power than the GS500 by far but if you just stay away from the higher rev range where all that sneaky fast power is until you're ready for it then they can make great first bikes.

·
California dreamin'
2,440 Posts
BMatthews said:
There's a few 600's you can watch for as well that aren't too bad for first bikes. These are the Yamaha Seca II and the Suzuki Bandit 600. They are more power than the GS500 by far but if you just stay away from the higher rev range where all that sneaky fast power is until you're ready for it then they can make great first bikes.
I agree with the comment on the Seca II. My brother has one and that's what I primarily rode for the first year I had my license. I loved that bike -- it was great to start out on and a good all round street bike. I imagine the Bandit 600 is similar, but one advantage is that it has dual front disc brakes (the Seca only has a single disc). I was considering buying a Bandit as my first bike, but somehow ended up wanting something "sportier" that I could grow into and ended up with a Katana.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
sv650s, are sweet :p

gs500s are good beginner bikes, but they are gutless, good for getting around town type of deal.

if you want a good all around fun bike, sv650s is the one to get. I know I sure loved it when I got the chance to take one for a spin :)

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
I don't think that the GS500s are gutless for a beginner bike. You gotta remember that 1.6se has probably never ridden anything more powerful than a GS before. If you're coming off of a 1.6L import car...a GS will be PLENTY fast. ;) Still has a 1/4 mile about as fast as a C5 Corvette.

That being said...the SV650 is a pretty kick-ass bike. I've been riding for a couple of years, and I was strongly considering an SV when I was looking for what would be my fifth motorcycle. So they're not just for beginners either.

P

·
0 Posts
Hey I have a 94 Kawasaki EX500 (Ninja 500). Its a sweet beginner bike. Its quick in the handling and quite quick off the start but not it extreme in the power band (not like a R6). Its great....I love the bike.

I bought my bike used from BK and they had all the history behind it (made sure about that). It has about 36,000 km on it and its absolutely sound.

I would highly recommend it as a starter bike.

BTW. I'm 5'1" and about 115 lbs ... so if I can handle it....anyone can :)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
watch out for Atlas, they sell mainly grey bikes and therefore parts suchs a s oil filters and stuff is hard to come by.

The EX500, is by all means the most afoordable sport bike around. Several people race either the entire bike or just the engine in different chassis. It's a solid bike.

But also consder the following :

Buell Blast
BMW F650 ?
ZX6
YZF600
SV650

D

·
0 Posts
Human said:
watch out for Atlas, they sell mainly grey bikes and therefore parts suchs a s oil filters and stuff is hard to come by.

Whats a grey bike???

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Dafnip said:

Whats a grey bike???
Grey market bikes are brought into the country by that dealer (Atlas in this case) These bikes are only supported for many parts by Atlas themselves and not the north american reps for the companies. So you may be buying a Honda whatever but if you go to the local Honda dealer they will just look at you with a puzzled expression on their faces when you ask for something for the bike.

So Atlas will have some common parts (I assume) but anything even at all out of the ordinary will be special order from either Europe or Japan.

Grey market bikes are great if you want a project but for a first timer these should be avoided at all cost.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thx for all the advice
i've only ridden 2bikes, the gs500, n a cbr600f2
but seems like cbr is kinda big for me, not really comfortable on it during slow ridding
for the other 600 u guys mentioned?
r they the same size as the cbr?
cos i'm quite a small guy, aorund 5'8 145pounds

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
the ZX6 and the older ZX600R (my first bike) and the YZF600s, I don't know if they are smaller but their ergos. are more suited to sport touring than just sport....and considerabley cheaper....basically same engine as the ZX6R and R6 just detuned and in more comfy chassis ergo settings.....

·
Slow
271 Posts
Don't even think of the YZF600R. I love it but it's very top heavy and tricky to ride unless you're somewhat experienced. I was going to give mine to my GF but she really didn't like it. It weighs like 450 lbs wet - almost scary for slow speed stuff.

On the other hand, the SV650S is the shit! My GF was all set to get a GS500E (after riding on one in the BCSC course) but didn't want to be left out when it came to hanging with the big boys (my main friends ride an F4i, an R6, a 929, and a Gixxer 1000). Looking at a 500E behind all of our bikes lined up made her cry. So, it was up to me to recommend the SV yet again.

With the drop seat, and the torquey but not super scary motor, great handling (these get used as track tools quite often), great looks, great sound (v-twin), and a low sticker price, that was enough to sell it. Then I test rode one - wow! I was up against HDs99 on a Gixxer-600 and he just about couldn't take me - and at the time I didn't know we were racing - I might have tried.

Oh, one more story praising the SV. We were heading down to Cali right at that section where the 101 snakes out to the 1 on the coast. We hooked up with these 3 guys - two on 9Rs and 1 on an SV. All three had really nice wear lines (1/4") so I knew they'd be having a fun ride. Just barely keeping up but watching the road ahead I could see the SV right on the 9Rs' asses. We hooked up for some photos later and all I heard was praise from the SV's owner.

All I can say is that the bike can really kick ass but yet will be considerate if you're learning. My GF bought hers without even test-driving one and hasn't been happier. It's a sweet bike! Ninja-500 ... whatever!

D

·
0 Posts
KO7 said:

what's wrong with Modern Motorcycles ? :confused

they are not known for their customer service, or competence in the shop. if all you need is a part cheap, fine. there are others on the board that have bad experiences there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts