86-89 toyota trucks
86-89 4runners
91-95 YJ's (2.5l)

anything else?

Order of importance are:
1) Reliability
2) Maintainence cost
3) Gas Mileage
4) Off-road ability (i only do light off-roading to go camping etc.)
5) Towing capacity

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
I owned a 94 Sahara YJ...don't buy a jeep unless its a 6 cyl....IMO

Go for the Toyota 4Runner but again...get the 6 cyl. it'll be easier to tow the bike:) .

D

·
0 Posts
eg_hybrid said:
A few that come to mind are:
86-89 toyota trucks
86-89 4runners
91-95 YJ's (2.5l)

anything else?

Order of importance are:
1) Reliability
2) Maintainence cost
3) Gas Mileage
4) Off-road ability (i only do light off-roading to go camping etc.)
5) Towing capacity
Well I just happen to be selling my '90 Pathfinder. Great truck 'cept it's only a 2 door and I hate cleaning the flippin' size 3 shoe prints on my seat. Never let me down, biggest expence:timing belt
Gas low 20's
more than a adequate off-roader
tows 3500#

·
Go big or go home
271 Posts
I say either a Toyota pick Xtra cab up or 4 Runner 89 and up.

I have a 93 Toyota p/u Xtra V6 4X4.OK on Gas ,low maint.no major problems.Beat the crap out of it and it keeps going.Passes air care everytime with low readings.140,000km.

Don't buy Jeep $$$ I work on them everyday:D

·
Back Again!!
852 Posts
Best trucks for the reliability and toughness is Toyota...thats if you don't mind the size! (they are small)

Power wise, recommend V6, otherwise you'll be pushing the truck up a hill.

Jeeps are a toy!...they leak and brake down waaayyyy to much! (as a dealer, i've seen many come in and bahhhhh!)

Towing...V6, no choice in the matter!

Good luck!:thumbup

·
Track Day Wh0re
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Best 4x4 for under $8k

Pathfinders used to be on list but they all seem to have major rust problems. All 3 i've test driven (91-93) had a hole under the rear passenger seat on the drivers side (where the tool kit goes).

What kinda money are you looking for it?
donnymac said:

Well I just happen to be selling my '90 Pathfinder. Great truck 'cept it's only a 2 door and I hate cleaning the flippin' size 3 shoe prints on my seat. Never let me down, biggest expence:timing belt
Gas low 20's
more than a adequate off-roader
tows 3500#

D

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Best 4x4 for under $8k

eg_hybrid said:
Pathfinders used to be on list but they all seem to have major rust problems. All 3 i've test driven (91-93) had a hole under the rear passenger seat on the drivers side (where the tool kit goes).

What kinda money are you looking for it?
Should be in the low 7's
You are right about the rust. Even with diligent care that hole you descibed is just starting to appear.
Not near as much as on some I've seen though.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Toyota makes reliable trucks. My best friend has a 91 Ext. Cab 4x4 V6, he has around 350K on it, its been very good to him. I think he's done the clutch, brakes a few times, CV joints and replaced the tires in the last 200,000+ kms. Thats not bad at all considering the mileage. He just put it in the buy/sell today so he can get something a bit newer, he lives in Chilliwack and works in Van so its a lot of commuting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts