BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WD40

no joke, I put a light spray on a cloth and just swiped it over my virsor, haven't cleaned it for 2 weeks, it's really good in the rain as the water just goes off, best after the rain is stopped you don't even get those water droplet marks....I dunno, just thought to share that with you all...and have ridden in the sun for extended periods, nothing happens....

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Well, that's a new one on me.......

Since you've already done your's I think I'll just wait for the long term review..... :D

It sounds wacky but it might just be true. Keep us up to date with your day to day on this.....:thumbup

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I doubt there will be any permanent damage, sprayed it on 2 weeks ago and haven't had to clean it as yet....or any sign of damage....

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
yeah but I bet you all you can smell is WD40....

·
Registered
787 Posts
hmmmm.....i use the stuff that u use to clean your glasses with.
anti-reflective lens cleaner. works fine.

F

·
0 Posts
Anyone tried rain-away/rain-x or any of the like on their visor? Thinking about it but don't want to screw the visor.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FloMan said:
yeah but I bet you all you can smell is WD40....

not really, don't apply directly, on cloth first, and that too for only 1 minute....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I just use Plexus, works great on the whole bike and works good on the visor.

C

·
0 Posts
i picked up one of those iridium cisors for my helmet....

anyone know or heard of proper ways to clean these without scratching them up or ruining them???

maybe its jsut me but they seem wayyy more easier to ruin than the clear vissors. :confused

D

·
0 Posts
CBR600F2 said:
i picked up one of those iridium cisors for my helmet....

anyone know or heard of proper ways to clean these without scratching them up or ruining them???

maybe its jsut me but they seem wayyy more easier to ruin than the clear vissors. :confused
i got lens cleaner from sunglass hut. its "formulated" for special coating lenses. when i ran out of that, i switched to windex. its a pretty special formula too.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CBR600F2 said:

yes they are....

G

·
0 Posts
Hot water and dish soap for any visor.
Let it soak, wipe clean (gently on the irdiums) with a cloth
and dry with a towel and give it a coating of Pledge after
that with another dry cloth.

H

·
0 Posts
Digi168 said:
I just use Plexus, works great on the whole bike and works good on the visor.
This stuff is awesome....works great on your windscreen as well. Call me anal but I won't use anything other than a chamois(sp?)..
..I believe it's lamb hide or something like that....works great.

S

·
0 Posts
Flag R6 said:
Anyone tried rain-away/rain-x or any of the like on their visor? Thinking about it but don't want to screw the visor.
Yeah, I use rain-x all the time on my Shoei visor and it works great. Rain beads off like a dream and it doesn't damage or cloud the visor at all so no worries.

S

·
0 Posts
aahhhh!!! The beauty of liv'n in the OKANAGAN.... SUN SUN SUN and very little rain. Unlike the center of the universe, better known as hongcouver.

I don't have to wear a solid shield here.. nah nah!!:D

·
Registered
234 Posts
I found that using McGuires #50 RV cleaner works nicely for cleaning the bike, helmet and visor off. I also use it after I wash and towel dry the bike. #50 will clean up even the little scuff marks.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crazy Guy said:
I found that using McGuires #50 RV cleaner works nicely for cleaning the bike, helmet and visor off. I also use it after I wash and towel dry the bike. #50 will clean up even the little scuff marks.

never heard of that, what is it ? a spray ? a liquid ?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've tried Rain-X on my visor and it was awesome. Thanx for reminding me to put some more on. If your caught riding in the rain all you have to do is turn your head and the wind clears the water right off your visor!

I have an iridium visor and I've already scratched it up with simple washing. I don't recommend using plexus because you have to buff it off. The added pressure scratched mine ever so finely. I couldn't believe it when it scratched after that. There's some 20/20 that is good for tinted visors. Along the lines of windex.

With iridium you have to be so dam careful of what fabric to use and how much pressure to give it. Just because of the cleaning, I now prefer the tinted visors.

I'm gonna try the WD40. Human, another question for ya. Does it feel oily to the touch?

B

·
0 Posts
Careful with the Pledge and the WD40, both will leave a film after extended use, I used to use them on my old windscreen and after a while it started to have a muggy appearance to it. WD40 is essentially an acid, so after a while it will eat away at things. Plastics and rubber are notorious for being great snacks for that stuff.

K

·
0 Posts
Okangaan

Living in the Okangan might be nice. A couple of weeks ago i was up there, (May long) Went from Shuswap to vernon, I had to stop there to clean my visor as I could hardly see out of it. There were so many bug hits, the top shoulders of my jacket were covered as well.

I just use the cleaner from the Sunglass Hut as well and I find that it works amazingly.

Just my .02 Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts