BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after doing a lot of reading (and soul searching) I have come to realize and truly believe that leathers (good leathers) are the best thing to wear when you are riding, which is why I have started saving and narrowing down my search for a pair...however...this thread is to find out people's opinions on which is the best "non-leather' pants for riding.

I was looking thorugh the ICON product catalog and they have a lot of options in textile and reinforced jeans. I already own a JOE ROCKET Meteor 5 jackat and pair of gloves and I have been very happy with their quality and fit. I have heard ALPINESTARS are great quality, but a little expensive.

So, if you have a pair of "non-leather" pants, post your comments and recommendations. I am really starting to NOT like the idea of riding in everyday jeans...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
for any sort of highway/strafing runs i will ALWAYS wear my leather, but for around town commuting and general farting around, i have a pair of j.r. ballistic textile pants.
although they will not offer anywhere near the protection of leathers, they fit easily over jeans, are easy to put on/take off, are somewhat waterproof and do offer a modicum of protection. for lower speed around town riding, they are an ideal compromise for me, and when i do ride without any protective pants, i feel nekkid and exposed. i only wish they had more breather vents for when it's warm, although i think they newer designs have more intellegent airflow designs.

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
I crashed going over 100K in JR pants. They saved me and were in relatively good shape (only a few holes) afterwards. They aren't totally water proof, but pretty good if you get caught in a downpour. They aren't bad in the late fall and are pretty cool in the summer.

They were the meteor pants I think. I recommend them. I wear jeans when I street ride. But I wear them over my one piece leathers cause a onezie just looks weird.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info avocet and foker. thanks a Ton.

So JOEROCKET pants are getting some thumbs up. Anyone else?

·
total wanker!
146 Posts
I wear leather except in the cold rainy period. Owned a shit load of equipment and the textile I buy now is Belstaf. Their waterproof stuff ... is. They have good armour too. Not the flashiest mind you. I really like the look of Icon too but I haven't owned it.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I have Belstaff pants, great for winter/wet riding, they're waterproof and warm. Summer I wear jeans for around town, the Belstaff pants are a bit warm but I'll put them on for highway use.

·
Lightly seasoned...
176 Posts
I've gotJoe Rocket Ballistic 5's they're nice and comfy (stay pretty warm in winter) and the seams appear really strong and are VERY waterproof after a good go w/ scotchguard waterproofing spray stuff (I've been soaked from neck to waist and been dry below save for seapage from the jacket)... haven't crashed in them but appear they'd be far better than jeans.

I'd say J.R. are good, balistic nylon is pretty much the same from maker to maker, only difference being the seams, zippers, and waterproofing applied and mostly bling factor. Alpine star and Icon have been getting a bit pricier due to brand popularity/touting by pro's... $$$ doesn't always mean better afterall...

·
Registered
978 Posts
i have a pair of joe rocket pants but never actually used them lol....it was part of a 2 piece suit and i wear the jacket everytime i go out and its great at stopping the wind and is waterproof except for the zippers so since the pants are the same material as the jacket it should work well

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ive got a pair of ICON timax that are good. They are nice and light and the quality seems good. Having never owned a different brand of textiles I dont know how reliable my review is but for what I use them for I like them.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
avocet said:
for any sort of highway/strafing runs i will ALWAYS wear my leather, but for around town commuting and general farting around, i have a pair of j.r. ballistic textile pants.
although they will not offer anywhere near the protection of leathers, they fit easily over jeans, are easy to put on/take off, are somewhat waterproof and do offer a modicum of protection. for lower speed around town riding, they are an ideal compromise for me, and when i do ride without any protective pants, i feel nekkid and exposed. i only wish they had more breather vents for when it's warm, although i think they newer designs have more intellegent airflow designs.
I'm looking into a pair of the JR Alter Egos for that reason. (Too warm during summer.) The panels can be removed to expose some mesh underneath when it gets hot and they also come with a removable waterproof liner. The armour protection is a bit questionable though.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so far...

JOEROCKET - 4 Thumbs Up
BELSTAF - 2 Thumbs Up
SPEEDRAG - 1 Thumbs Up
ICON - 1 Thumbs Up

Tons of great info folks. thanks for all this.

·
User And Abuser
3,912 Posts
I have used my bslidtic 5.0's year round for all riding, including dirtbiking! I got som JR pheonix pants for the summer which will be a very welcome relief from the stuffy 5.0's in summer heat!

·
Magyar ember
431 Posts
I've got a pair of A* textile pants (Air-Flo pants) and I like them. They make me feel alot more confident then just jeans. I wear my jeans under them still most of the time.:thumbup :thumbup

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so far...

COOLER WEATHER
----------------------
JOEROCKET BALLISTIC 5.0 - 5 Thumbs Up
BELSTAF - 2 Thumbs Up
SPEEDRAG - 1 Thumbs Up
ICON - 1 Thumbs Up

WARMER WEATHER
---------------------
JOEROCKET PHEONIX - 1 Thumbs Up
ALPINESTARS AIR-FLO - 1 Thumbs Up

I think I'll start looking closely at the Joe Rockets or the Alpine Stars

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
I'm saving up for a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants. If someone at the bike show has my size and they're a good price, i'll buy a pair there. The Alter Ego has zip-out panels that reveal mesh for better ventilation in summer, but don't compromise your protective gear in the process.

I've worn a Joe Rocket jacket for five years, and while it's getting old, it doesn't show its age yet and it's one of the most comfortable jackets I own. I'm very happy with their stuff.

I think the guy who organizes the iron butt rides wears one of those one-piece suits... Roadstar? Roadman? Something like that. Also apparently very highly recommended, but I haven't seen/worn one myself.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so far...

COOLER WEATHER
----------------------
JOEROCKET BALLISTIC 5.0 - 5 Thumbs Up
BELSTAF - 2 Thumbs Up
SPEEDRAG - 1 Thumbs Up
ICON - 1 Thumbs Up

WARMER WEATHER
---------------------
JOEROCKET PHEONIX - 1 Thumbs Up
JOEROCKET ALTER EGO- 1 Thumbs Up
ALPINESTARS AIR-FLO - 1 Thumbs Up

The JR Alter Ego ones look like a good buy. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the Teknic waterproof pants in nov. and I've been bone dry all winter, even riding in traffic. They also breath well and are reasonably priced.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts