BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Amsoil , I swear buy it and have done testing on it.

We ran Motul 5100 in a XR 250 with a thermometer built into the dipstick on Vetter mountain and swapped in Amsoil at lunch time the bike on the same trails and temperature ran 25 degrees cooler.

Motards only run 1.2 lires on average and destroy oil quickly it's all I'll run in those bikes.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Amsoil is like $12.99/L ? Motula 5100 is $9.99.
Is it really worith it to go for Amsoil?

Wait a minute, with Amsoil I can change the oil at double the interval right?

S

·
0 Posts
5thgear said:

We ran Motul 5100 in a XR 250 with a thermometer built into the dipstick on Vetter mountain and swapped in Amsoil at lunch time the bike on the same trails and temperature ran 25 degrees cooler.

Motards only run 1.2 lires on average and destroy oil quickly it's all I'll run in those bikes.

hey hillbilly, 5100 ain't a full synthetic.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
5thgear said:

In order to prove the synthetic oil you endorse can indeed make an engine run cooler than another similar brand of synthetic oil, you must perform a significant series of load tests in a scientifically controlled situation with identical load and environmental conditions with properly trained third party unbiased testers.

S

·
0 Posts
Chumly said:
In order to prove the synthetic oil you endorse can indeed make an engine run cooler than another similar brand of synthetic oil, you must perform a significant series of load tests in a scientifically controlled situation with identical load and environmental conditions with properly trained third party unbiased testers.

holy nerd alert. the results of oil vs. oil vs. oil etc....... are online already.

·
Chomh gasta le splanc
101 Posts
I use RedLine if anyone cares. It is totally synthetic. You can get it at MoPac in Langley. Not much info out there on the web though. Top fuel drag racers use it.

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
I care........

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I heard someone talking Amsoil at Stella's for the last GP. What flavour Amsoil, or is there only one full synthetic?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Kent, you're not supposed to taste it. It's supposed to go into your engine.

You probably ate that paste in grade 1 too I'll bet.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Hoe said:
I use RedLine if anyone cares. It is totally synthetic. You can get it at MoPac in Langley. Not much info out there on the web though. Top fuel drag racers use it.
Redline is good stuff also but non of the bike shop distributors carry it.

We compared it to Motul 5100 because it's one of the most popular oils out there. It does have the best bottle design. It's $8.99 litre and Amsoil is $9.99 litre.

Heat destroys an engine so if it runs cooler with Amsoil I'll run that.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Chumly said:
I've seen those tests 3 ball 4 ball 5 ball ??? Amsoil kicks ass on those test so does every other oil. It's like believing everything you read in a North American motorcycle magazine the ones from Europe are way more accurate.

I just know on Vetter in those hardcore offroad conditions if a bike runs cooler with a certain oil it's for the best. Most bikes are blowing rad fluid all over the place on those rides.

Best Coolant out there is Coolanol by Maxum. We ran all of them in our bikes and that's the only one that didn't boil over. Only down side is it can freeze in the winter time.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
I dont doubt Bills claim for a second, but I agree with Chumly that another 2-3 tests would be great at providing some measure of repeatability.

However, sportbikerider magazine had a 3rd party lab conduct some lab tests on the oil and here are the results.

The first one (Total Base Number) basically tells you how long a change interval will be for the oil. Im not 100% sure on the numbers here, a score that is 2x that of something else may/maynot mean that the oil can be left 2x longer in the engine.

The second one (Heat Index) tells you how much heat the oil can handle b4 turning into sludge/or evaporating.

As you can see, Amsoil does come out on top.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I run only Amsoil, 10W40. I get it from Mission Motorsports for about $11 a litre.

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
sense we are on the topic of oil. what is the best oil filter out there as well? K&N? and where would you buy this "Amsoil " lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts