BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rider
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get a new chain and sprockets, and I was wondering if bigger is better? If i do get a bigger sprocket how much top end will i lose?

G

·
if u get a bigger sprocket you will lose a lil bit of top end, but u will be able to do wheelies much easier.

Sry i dont know the exact amount of speed you will lose, it also depends how many teeth u go up by.

Pm Bill at 5th gear he will know the exacts for you.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
I dropped a tooth on the front and went up two on the rear and I'd say the speedo is off by around 20%.
Do it, you won't regret it. Makes a huge difference. Just bring ear plugs for freeway trips.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
! down and 2 up won't lose any top end. You might actually gain some top end and will get there quicker. I don't think a GSXR 600 can redline in top gear , so going lower will really help.

·
Rider
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, I might as well go bigger if i am going to be changing it anyways. How difficult is it to change the front and rear sprocket??

·
No the pic is not me
930 Posts
! down and 2 up won't lose any top end. You might actually gain some top end and will get there quicker. I don't think a GSXR 600 can redline in top gear , so going lower will really help.
How much would the speedo be out on the gsxr 600 with those sprockets? I've got the same bike different year and I was thinking about changing the sprockets as well.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
Speedo Healer. It just plugs in and it will re calibrate your speedo.
Or just leave it as is and do mental math.

·
PAyne
1,122 Posts
Whats stock sprocket size on an 99R6? I dont have the bike here to look at, or i would go count myself. (duh)

Thanks,

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the input, I might as well go bigger if i am going to be changing it anyways. How difficult is it to change the front and rear sprocket??
i just put a new chain and sprockets on my cbr. it was extremely simple. never done it before. took a little over an hour. i just went 1 smaller on the front. no reason just the kit i bought. i find the hardest thing is getting the rear axle shaft back in by yourself, while trying to hold the wheel in place.

·
Rider
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I did mine last week, i found it pretty easy aswell but it took me like 3 hours had to go out and buy new tools a couple times ( first time doing any major work on my bike ) . i went with the 1 down and 2 up and a 520 convertion. And your totally right about the rear axel luckly i had my gf out there handing me tools. Thanks for everyones input. I'm really glad i did the change it makes a big difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts