BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
What? I can't hear you...
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been riding around off road on old Yamaha enduros with my family on camping trips and the like, and this summer I'm enrolling at PRS and getting my class 6. I've got an old Yamaha CT175 that I just finished restoring (yeah, I know it wasn't worth it, but its got sentimental value) that I can putt around on, but by late August I should have enough moolah for a decent sportbike. I WANT a new 1050 Speed Triple, but know that that's far too much bike to learn on, not to mention I need something to aspire to! So... with that in mind I've been reading up on Triumph's Daytona 675, and it seems to be a pretty respectable bike. It's most definitely more capable than me, granted, but I don't want to havbe to sell it and buy another when my skill level improves, and the three cylinder reportedly is a pretty smooth engine with good power delivery. But, you guys know WAY more than I do about sportbikes, so... what do you think?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
you will find that not many people here own triumphs. I personally like the speed four, kinda like speed tripple but lower displacement. I have never ridden any nor have experiance with them.

R

·
0 Posts
if you can't afford a bike till late august...you might want to wait till next season. I mean, unless you plan to ride in the rain...there's no real point..

·
Yellow Power Ranger
3,009 Posts
Most people crash/drop their bikes in the 1st or 2nd season of riding. I would suggest getting a used bike that would be a little cheaper to fix in case something does happen. A brand new Triumph will cost you an arm and a leg to fix. Although, if money isnt an option...why not just get a Ducati 999R?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Speed3, I've previously owned a CBR 600rr and have riden some Yamaha sport bikes as well. This riding season I decided to get something more comfortable and more unique, I mean how many Hondas and Yams do we see on the road??? They are everywhere. So, I bought an 06 Speed Triple. This is such an awesome bike I don't even know where to begin. When you've got some experience, I would recommend looking into the Triple,you would'nt be dissapointed. However the Daytona also got some pretty good reviews in the April edition of Motor Cyclist.

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet! Really, I've sat on a few, looked at many, and ridden none, but I absolutely love that bike. I'm pretty certain, and I'm going to sound stupid here, but I think a Speed Triple will be the last bike I ever buy. And then I'm going to paint it BRG and black. :D

Mmm... money is definitely a problem, and I never intended on getting one new; that's insane. I don't want to take the big depreciation hit, I'd much rather someone else did for me! As for the whole Triumph bit, I've got a couple old english cars (MG and Jag) and love the way they put things together, not to mention the fact that I grew up around my dad's old TR6C. And fixing it shouldn't be a problem, I do everything myself.

Now, I know that dropping it is a very real reality, hence why I'm spending the first few months on a familiar, small, light(er) bike. But after that, I'm curious as to what people's opinions are on.. say.. a Daytona 675 sans fairing, at least for a couple seasons? That said, I'm still curious as to what you experienced riders think of starting a 675 cc triple (besides the fact that I may scratch it ;))?

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
I would think the 675 would be a better choice than the i-4 600s: the power should come on a lot more smoothly (less peaky) and you will have some very usable midrange as well as top-end.

I hear the body is quite narrow -- that should make it easier to put your feet down and feel comfortable when standing still.

But they are all rockets ready to flip you off or wad you into the wall if you give then reason to. Hence the only thing that will prevent that is you.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
Speed3 said:
So... with that in mind I've been reading up on Triumph's Daytona 675, and it seems to be a pretty respectable bike. It's most definitely more capable than me, granted, but I don't want to havbe to sell it and buy another when my skill level improves, and the three cylinder reportedly is a pretty smooth engine with good power delivery. But, you guys know WAY more than I do about sportbikes, so... what do you think?
The 675 (or just about any modern sportbike) will most likely always be capable of more than you are, so don't worry about needing to sell it when your skills improve. You may, at some point, decide that you'd like your performance served up differently, but "outgrowing" a bike shouldn't be a concern. I don't think I'd recommend a new race replica 600 (or the 675) as a first streetbike for anyone. It's not just the expensive plastic--I think something more relaxed in terms of power delivery and riding position is easier to learn on, although your dirt riding experience will certainly help.

If you really like the Speed Triple, why not look for one of the earlier models? It might take some looking, but you'd certainly find one for a hell of a lot less $$ than anything new. But that's still a lot of bike.

There are plenty of threads out there on beginner bikes, so I'd suggest you do some searching. And thinking.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
To help compare consider that your 175 is like a open boom ultralight. Now consider that in comparison the 675 or any of the new 600's is like taking your ultralight training and stepping directly into an CF-18. You ain't gonna outgrow any of these options EVER! But be aware that there's obviously a steep learning curve involved. Going for something like a Ninja 500 or the new Ninja 650 or an SV650 would be sort of like taking your ultralight training and getting into a super nice cross country fast Cessna executive biz plane.

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I should have reworded my response there. I don't make any claims of greatness, and agree that I'll probably never be better than the Daytona. As for the earlier Speed Triple's they are, as you say, a lot of bike. More than I'd like, especially at this point. Lastly, you mention that any of the newer 600's would be like a CF18, then mention that a Ninja 650 is a better choice? I'm confused... I figured the 675 would be the better choice due to it's three cylinder/broader powerband engine, what makes the Ninja 650 different?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey, buy what you like and grow into it. Take training. Learn what you and your bike are capable of together. The biggest concern is your level of maturity. Can you control your right hand? The triples should have better bottom end torque compared to the 4's which means they will get you from zero to ? faster, do you have the ability to control the urge as the revs climb? The reviews indicate that the new Triumph is quite comfortable and fast. I grew up in a time when the Brit bikes were king but they weren't any where near as reliable as the later Japanese bikes. The Japanese bikes are still pretty much bulletproof, are the new generation of Brit bikes as good? Might be worth considering?

What ever you do, good luck. I agree even the older 4 cylinder 600 was a very attractive bike.

Decisions, decisions!

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Speed3 said:
.... Lastly, you mention that any of the newer 600's would be like a CF18, then mention that a Ninja 650 is a better choice? I'm confused... I figured the 675 would be the better choice due to it's three cylinder/broader powerband engine, what makes the Ninja 650 different?
The 675 is going to be just as powerful as the 600's but with more torque down low. It's hardly a bike to "ease into" sportbike riding. The Ninja 650 is a vertical twin and like the SV650 they make around 80'ish hp at the rear wheel compared to a pinch over 100 for any of the current 600's and presumably the 675. My track bike early 90's Honda makes 80 to 85 hp and I find that it's quite enough to put a big grin on my face so it's not like 80'ish hp is something to be ashamed of. But the idea is that an 80 hp bike makes power that won't surprise you too badly at the worst possible time like a 100 hp bike may do.

At least you're not coming into this totally blind and others before you have started from nothing with a 600 so it can be done but just be aware that there's the heart and appetite of a lion inside the fairings.

And truth be told the 600's are actually very tractable when the RPM's are kept down under about 8K. But over 8K they come on strong very quickly. It's like a Jeckyl and Hyde sort of deal. It's not like it comes on all of a sudden though. The power builds over about 2000 rpm range.

Just because the triple is reported to have a broad power band that doesn't mean it's a better first sportbike than the 600's for a relative newbie. It just means that they can get into trouble at less RPM's if they get too adventureous. It is going to be THAT powerful a bike.

I'm not trying to scare you away from what you want. But at least if you go the 675 route or one of the 600's you'll be aware of what is in store for you. My own feelings, and take 'em for what you will, is that if you must have new then the Ninja 650 or SV650 are prime candidates and would give you a bike that you could happily ride for years or if you want the sexier option then at least sell for not much loss in a season or two and hopefully 10,000 kms under your tires. Or if you buy used an early to mid 90's 600 since that generation was at least only moderatley stupid fast unlike today's 600's that are mondo stupid fast. Ride any of these for a season or two as an intermediate trainer and then get whatever dream bike turns your crank. And if you get a mid 90's vintage sportbike then perhaps keep it as a track play bike later on once you have the dream bike.

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I don't need anything new! Hell, my favourite bike in the garage dates from 1970 and my cars come from '68, '74, and '83! I love old things. I understand now what you're saying, and yes, all that power being smooth doesn't change the fact that it's still ALL that power. I guess it's taken a lot of adjusting going from cars where 400 horsepower isn't enough to bikes, where 100 is starting to engender both respect and fear. I'm thinking that perhaps I'll simply take one for a spin after I've got my Class 6, and see what I think. I'm pretty certain of my ability to stay out of the throttle, given all the cars I've driven in my relatively short lifetime have only gotten me one singular ticket for doing 83 in a 70 zone on Lougheed Highway (come on, that part where the United Way exit is SHOULD be 80! :(), but like you say, I don't want to be surprised when I least expect it. I've driven cars that can bite you in the ass pretty quick when you aren't applying yourself 100%, so I know what you mean. And I suppose if I think the Daytona's a bit much then.. well..

I guess I'll just start looking for a big old Yamaha DT. :D

Thanks for the advice!

R

·
0 Posts
coolio said:
Is it really a lot? I have monitored the prices and the change is not that significant.

Seems to me like people think they can ask more because there's less on the market. The prices in this whole area are completely stupid, though. I can laugh for days about the 25 year old bikes @ 3000 dollars.

Anyways, Speed3, you've got great taste in bikes. The Triumphs are all hella nice, but like you're feeling more isn't necessarily more on two wheels. I don't think anybody yet has mentioned that you should make sure you've got about a thousand dollars put away for gear right off the bat. Personally, I'd recommend staying away from Joe Rocket nylon gear, too. Do some searching and research while you're saving up your cash and take some lessons. Grab a Nighthawk or an SV or something similar with a smaller twin and put a couple thousand kms under your belt and then start thinking about whether you need anything else, and, regardless of that, what you want next.

Have fun, and keep it between the lines!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
hey... newbie here.... tons of experience in the dirt. I hear it helps! but I won't bring a dirt ego to the street.

twas/am also in love with the speed triple... even chatted with vancity... but I opted to get the ninja 650. put 2k down on one yesterday.

getting my class 6 thru action motor cycle school starting June 7th.

giddy up.

M

·
0 Posts
i love the triumphs as well. if i were to go new id get a Ninja 650. great bang for your buck and a warrenty!

ive been looking for an older 600 (something like a CBR F2 or F3) but fricken eh people must think they can charge a fee or something for riding them previously. theres very little under 5k and even less under 4. im thinking about getting a WR and SMing it just to get some experience on the road. ive seen quite a few bikes like a gsxr750, but im scared of my freakin 2002 YZ250 i really dont want to think that i would be like on a 750. i do love my 03 YZ250F tho. i wish we got more cooler smaller bikes. europe gets all the cool stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts