BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am repainting my bike, I am now deciding on the colour. I was talking to my paint guy about flat black since I have seen some nice work in flat. He mentioned that I might disappear with that colour, and it got me to thinking... So how risky do you think it is to have such a colour as grey/black ect. Does anyone here have any experience with not being seen on that colour my other motorists?

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
It makes HUGE difference, use your common sense. When I switched bikes and gear after my first "I didnt see you" accident, it was like night and day, all of a sudden I was visible!!

Before accident

How can you possibly not see me now?

·
Learning the hard way.
1,334 Posts
I think Silver is worse than black, and matte black's worse than gloss black. The silver/grey will blend with the cement and the flat black will just absorb everything. The jet black will at least reflect a little light.

c.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I am with you revelations, I am thinking maybe I should go with Pilon Orange lol. I definitly wouldnt miss you coming down the road, you look like a giant bumble bee :)

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Brighter the better. Too bad I love bright red, though. I believe I read something a while back saying people instinctively aim for red. :rolleyes

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
adam112 said:
yeah I am with you revelations, I am thinking maybe I should go with Pilon Orange lol. I definitly wouldnt miss you coming down the road, you look like a giant bumble bee :)
I had a couple of drunk Nanaimo women call me that once :laughing

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Nanaimo women drunk? Liar!!!
:laughing

·
Registered
373 Posts
Alot of people rely on the colour of their gear and end up with a false sense of security because they think they are more visible. Not True. A brighter colour may help but don't let your gaurd down. You are still invisible so ride like it. Cagers don't watch for you plain and simple.

F

·
0 Posts
i agree cars dont see you anyway ,,yellow or black they see nothing .

its BETTER to have a more visable color no doubt ,,but i agree it may give you a fasle sense of security .

·
Registered
622 Posts
Too true gforce69. Cagers don't see us. No matter what we wear. It's mind boggleing. Keep your eyes open and dont trust anyone, drivers or pedestrians.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Do you think sometimes, it's better that cars DONT see you?

If they are driving along the freeway, and they see this Orange speck QUICKLY coming into view in their mirror, and they're in the fast lane...All of the sudden they Change lanes.....WHen you were gonna split around him anyways.
If you were dark, he wouldn't have seen you.

I guess, the light is always on anyways...And if you drive with the high beam always on...They will likely see you.

The bottom line is a Smarter rider will consider being visable...
But, as a good rider, isn't it up to you to be aware of the Traffic around you..and Slowing down for intersections!!!???

Simple said:
Too true gforce69. Cagers don't see us. No matter what we wear. It's mind boggleing. Keep your eyes open and dont trust anyone, drivers or pedestrians.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree cagers dont see bikes regardless, just want to obviously stack the odds in my favour, a quick shoulder check and they may see a blur of orange or yellow but maybe not flat black so much. Or should I just go with black and continue to be cautious since they dont see me regardless of colour? lol.

·
Registered
376 Posts
ya, i have a black/silver/blue and almost everyday during last riding season a car would cut into my lane. having a dark colour does suck, but it looks hawt.
so u gotta wager what u want more...safety on the road or the pimpness of the bike..lol

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Alot of people rely on the colour of their gear and end up with a false sense of security because they think they are more visible. Not True. A brighter colour may help but don't let your gaurd down. You are still invisible so ride like it.
Well put. Brighter colours help, but aren't the panacea.
Of course, have you seen Bill in his Hi-Viz Aerostich and red motorcycle?
I've watched standing sunflowers in a Kansas field turn away from the sun, and follow Bill as he rides by.....

·
Registered
371 Posts
adam112 said:
I agree cagers dont see bikes regardless, just want to obviously stack the odds in my favour, a quick shoulder check and they may see a blur of orange or yellow but maybe not flat black so much. Or should I just go with black and continue to be cautious since they dont see me regardless of colour? lol.
I say just go with whatever color you like. I'll probably jinx myself by saying this, but I ride a silver/black bike and I've never had any problems with people not seeing me. If a brighter color is going to catch somoene's attention they're at least half paying attention already...not the people you need to worry most about lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts