BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bike in Calgary and need to get it home to Vancouver. I found a couple of commercial shipper names on the interwebs but some personal experience, good or bad, might help me make a decision. I also thought about driving out and picking up a little enclosed U-haul trailer but the one way deal is a minimum of 4 days and that's about $500 which is about what a commercial transporter would charge. I'm quite happy to do the drive just to get out on the road for a couple of days.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Wanna borrow my trailer? PM me... It's open, not closed; a Kendon... Might cost you a 4-pack of Kilkenney!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's a very generous offer and I need to think about that.Thank you. My hesitation is my fear that the car is going to be throwing off a fair bit of sand from the roads at the bike this time of year. It could arrive home well sand blasted. I have a cover but I'm not sure if that is a help or hindrance. I've had plastic scuff the hell out of the tail piece on a bike I had years ago from wind buffeting.

Doser ? Didn't you ride the Saddlesore 1000 with Gord Austrom and I a few years ago ?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Nope. Never been an 'Iron Butt'er'. Altho I did go out and spin Vanc > Prince George > Valemont > Kamloops > Vanc a few years back, just to see what that was like. 1800kms, 19 hrs. Was superb... Almost easy... I wished I'd 'fucked around' a bit on local roads before coming home, so I could have hit 2000kms in 24 hrs...

I understand your hesitation about the 'open trailer' thing. More of an issue in the Spring, in Canada, than heading to OR, MT, or CA in the fall. And a cover probably would get ripped to shreds. Whatever works for you, of course!

BTW, I've never met Gord Austrom directly ( spoke to him, tho), but I climbed with his brother Carl decades ago. Small world!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yup, that sounds like the ride. June 9, 2009. Gord had a flat in Prince George and we waited while he took off looking for a can of compressed air / leak sealant. Do you use a remote device for smoking while you ride ?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I did it on my own, David; August 2013:

non-smoker...

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cuff was the one. The reference to his "patented" smoking device did it. Thanks for the link; that brings back a few memories. I did the same ride on my CBR1000RR last June. It's such a great day ride that's I'm going to do it again this year. Long day, lots of fun.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I would just do painters tape on the headlight, signals, and a couple of other items, and I think you'd be fine.

I drove from Cedar City Utah to Vancouver with 2 bikes (well maybe 1 and 3/4 bikes) in just over 24 hours with Don's trailer, and can confirm how great it is for towing, and never had any issues with road debris.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
btw David, what did you buy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts