BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike just started stalling lately. At first I thought I was low on engine oil, so I added some oil to reach the max engine oil line. Engine oil was 3/4 past the low line before adding oil. Thought the problem was fixed but it started stalling again today.

Everytime I come to a stop my bike just stalls without giving it gas. I have 6 year old ninja 250. Do you guys think the battery is dead? Or I got a blown valve which causes the gas pressure to drop? Although after some 15minute of riding my bike seems fine. It only happens when I park the bike away for a while and let the engine cool completely. When starting it up, I just let it idle for a minute or 2 and start riding it. It stalls for the first couple 5 minutes.

I would've gone to the shop today but it's too dangerous in the damn snow, although I got caught riding back from school in it. Damn that was some slippery slush!

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5thgear said:
Are you pulling the clutch lever in as you come to a stop ?
Yes and the RPM drops down to idle but I have to gas it to keep the idling rpm from dropping.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could someone tell me if it could be a battery problem at all? I'll try that out tm Lynne. I haven't adjusted that screw in ages b/c it was within spec (1100rpm) and it still is. I'll try it out anyway.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
REVELATIONS said:
Your bike is running bad when its cold? Check the choke adjustments, if your Ninja has any.
I didn't have this problem during the colder months like in nov, dec, and jan.

My manual says to use the choke when starting up but turn it off when riding.

Are you saying I should use it when riding and turn it off in a bit? For the last couple of months I haven't even used the choke except from time to time b/c bike couldn't start up.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
must bite tounge, must bite tounge, must bite tounge....

So you're saying that you are not using the choke and it stalls for the first 5 mins or so and then runs fine.

Use the choke!

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
silverD said:
must bite tounge, must bite tounge, must bite tounge....

So you're saying that you are not using the choke and it stalls for the first 5 mins or so and then runs fine.

Use the choke!
What you're saying contradicts the manual, should it be fine? It is not detrimental right?

Stupid question..does the bike know where the redline is with the choke? Yes I know that I shouldn't ride it hard with the choke on anyway, should let the bike warm up completely first. Just curious.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
The choke is there to increase the fuel to air ratio when the engine is cold.

When the engine is running at anything much over idle, say 1500 and above as you ride down the road, you won't notice much of a difference with the choke on or off, unless you goose it (now there's and old expression eh) without the choke, then you may notice a hesitation.

But when cold and at idle it is perfectly normal for the bike to not want to keep running without the choke at least a bit on. The colder it is the more choke you need. And by cold I mean the engine not running for a long time, not the ambient air temp...

Pull your choke out and get it going, push it in until it is idling where you want it to. Start riding, and slowly over 5 mins or so push the choke all the way back in.

You'll get the hang of how soon you need to push it off as time goes by. If you know that once you start going you don't have to stop for 5 mins, then you could push it all the way off as soon as you get going...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
^^^ what he said.
turn on the choke each time u start the bike... after like 3 minutes.. the engine shoudl run more smoothly, you can then turn off the choke and it shoudln't stall from then on...

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
coolio said:
What you're saying contradicts the manual, should it be fine? It is not detrimental right?
No it's not detrimental, read the manual again, I think you may be missing something. Just don't forget it and leave it on, and that won't really hurt anything but will kick hell out of your gas mileage.

coolio said:
Stupid question..does the bike know where the redline is with the choke? Yes I know that I shouldn't ride it hard with the choke on anyway, should let the bike warm up completely first. Just curious.
You shouldn't ride it hard when it's cold, the engine that is, doesn't matter if you need the choke or not. Does the bike know where the red line is? The bike is a piece of metal and plastic, it don't know shit anytime. If your bike has a rev limiter it should function cold or hot.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Ratzilla said:
I've always thought riding with the choke is bad for the bike?
The more the choke the richer it will run, so if you run with full choke for hours on end you'll carbon everything up, but a few minutes when it is cold shouldn’t hurt anything.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
coolio said:
I didn't have this problem during the colder months like in nov, dec, and jan.

My manual says to use the choke when starting up but turn it off when riding.

Are you saying I should use it when riding and turn it off in a bit? For the last couple of months I haven't even used the choke except from time to time b/c bike couldn't start up.
How many cc is your bike, 250? The smaller the displacement, the more susceptible it is to changes in the environment, slightly different gasoline, etc.

Just because it ran without the choke yesterday, doesent mean it will today. As long as it runs fine when its warmed up, it lets you know that everything *should* be ok.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
It's perfectly normal for a cool engine to need a little choke and not harmful at all to ride with some choke on. Just keep pushing it back in a little at a time as the engine warms up. It's also very normal for a cool engine to stall if you push the choke back in fully too soon.

Another possible reason for rougher running may be that it's in need of a tuneup. When was your last one?

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TeeTee said:
Another possible reason for rougher running may be that it's in need of a tuneup. When was your last one?
I did do some maintenance on my bike according to the manual (valve adjustment, spark change, carb syn, etc)

Is that what you mean by tune-up?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
The bike's getting older, and it's cold and damp these days. Let it warm up on the choke a little longer than you normally do, and it should be fine. I find mine seems to need a lot more choke now, but that may be due to it coming back from the shop with a rebuilt engine.

The little ninjas also benefit from richening up the (hidden) idle mixture screws, which lets you use less choke at start up.

As someone said, if it runs well when warm, it just needs more warming up. But when it's warm, LISTEN to it idle. If the idle's not smooth, you might be in need of another carb synch/new plugs/clean air filter/valve adjustment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
from the sounds of it, you're not familiar with using the choke yet.

the technical version of richening air/fuel ratio is up above...but in simple terms, this is what it does.

bikes dont like to idle when the engine is cold (been sitting a couple hours w/out starting). if you start it and dont give it gas, it will likely stall. it wont hold a smooth idle w/out throttle input until the engine is warmed up.

when you start up the bike for the first time that day, or after its been sitting a while, use the choke. this is equivilant to you holding the throttle open a little, thus keeping the revs up and warming up the engine. slowly decrease the amount of choke as the bike warms up....and eventually you'll be able to push it all the way in without the bike stalling.

when you hit that, it means your engine is warmed up, and good to go.

try this...if it still doesnt idle properly after, then post again and we can go from there

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the great advice! Bike seems to be good now. I barely used the choke before so I didn't really bother caring about lubing or whatever.

Since now that I use it, I notice that it is kinda of sticky when moving it up and down. Manual says it should slide smoothly. Do I need some lubing then? Is it as easy as lubing the throttle cable? Do I I need to lube it? Manual doesn't say anything about lubing the choke cable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts