BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pixel Hustler since '88
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on a trip soon to Hong Kong and Tokyo for a bit and I was thinking about puting the bike up on a stand while I was away, but then I realized I only have a rear wheel stand... I remember reading in an article somewhere that it was a good idea to keep the weight of the tires if the bike's not going to be used in a while...

Sooo.... does this mean I should buy a front stand as well? I've been riding all year, so I've never had to store a bike before...

Another soloution I was thinking was maybe I should just buy an NC35 while I'm over there and not care about my old bike(j/k) Oh... if only I had the money...

Oh... I lied about the ice cream

D

·
0 Posts
a_breath_of_zen said:
Oh... I lied about the ice cream
then i will lie about the answer.

you need to suspend the bike from the rafters by rope. that way not only will your tires be super round, but your suspension won't sag either.

·
Pixel Hustler since '88
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doug said:
you need to suspend the bike from the rafters by rope. that way not only will your tires be super round, but your suspension won't sag either.
Should I put a hamster in each wheel, a smart one the will know how to avoid the spokes, to keep them rolling to a further round my wheels with a evenly distributed amount of centrifugal force?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Keep the rear tire up on the stand and put a peice of carpet or something soft under the front tire, if you really don't want to buy a front stand. It would probably be best to raise both ends (i.e. rafter hanging style :laughing or more simply two stands).
Or you can just say screw it and get new rubber when you come back!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
How long is 'a bit'? A month, 2 months, 6 months? Ask your mommy to move the bike to a differernt position every 2 weeks. Mango pleeze.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
We need to know how long you'll be gone for so we can sell your bike to pay for all the ice cream you promised us.......As you may not know a lot of bikes sit in showrooms for many months at a time as do cars with no problems....in the old days with bias tires and poor rubber compounds a tire will develop a flat spot over nite on a cold day....for you my ice cream friend...a year would be no problem for your bike to sit ....the main issue would be to make sure the tires are kept full of air and the battery on a float type charger and do an oil change befor you go.....now where is our ice cream!!!!!!

·
Ghost SV Rider
1,469 Posts
Don't be thinking you can travel and not find a BCSBer in Tokyo. I'll meet you somewhere and you can buy me some ice cream. None of that cheap stuff either.

You can also overinflate your tires too. Not too much.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
just lie it on it's side, voila weight off the tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts