BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just a quick question that hopefully someone can answer. I just bought a used 06 honda cbr600rr last week. It started no problem out of the lot and rode it home no problem. I even went on a 20min spin on it this morning and not a problem. I got home and stalled it a couple times while putting down the kickstand while still in gear. Anyway, about 10mins later I tried to start it and nothing. Just a click click click sound and nothing, don't think it is turning over or anything. I assumed its a battery issue so I jumped it with my car and it started right away. Went for another quick spin around the block, parked it, and now it is fine and starts everytime I try today. Im a little confused since it started no problem yesterday and today and after stalling it once it needed a jump to start, could it be a battery problem? What else should I check? Thanks all!:rockon

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well I would check your connections in the starting system. Battery,starter motor and relay for corrosion. You will have cut a out on your clutch lever and probably your side stand as well. Your starter button seems to work and it starts with a jump and sometimes with out so your battery sounds OK but check the voltage with a meter anyway. After you have cleaned up all the connections and if it is still acting up then I would zone in on the starter relay. Good luck!

·
Registered
18,876 Posts
It's typical Honda, I'm suprised nobody warned you. Runs great when it doesn't have electrical problems.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would start with the battery. Get it checked out. Also, I don't recommend jump starting unless you are in a real bind. But if you must, ensure the car engine is not running.

If you don't already have a smart charger, get one, and charge up the battery, and then get the battery tested.

Once you have a healthy, and fully charged battery in place, then you can get the charging system checked out, or whatever else.

The service manual will give you the instructions on testing your charging system.

Like other posters have suggested, bad electrical contacts can be contributing factors too. But at this point, I wouldn't go there yet. Ensure that you have a fully charged, healthy battery in there first.

·
And shepherds we shall be
2,941 Posts
Why do I always hope that when I click one of these threads I will stumble on a "I put this NOS in my tank" or "I thought it was oil I used but it was break fluid for my oil change. To clean it out I used break cleaner." type thread...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Start with the cheapest fix...could just be a loose ground (-) from the battery. I had a loose one after I put the new bat in...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I will check out the battery first and maybe get it replaced. Once the battery checks out I will try something new, although it has only been one time the bike has not started in the past 4 days but I would still like to know why.

·
Ride to you limits
1,220 Posts
(1) Tighten your Connections on the battery terminal use a socket not a screw driver.
(2) Check the voltage of the batter with a DC volt meter should be over 12V/DC
(3) Try to get it started ( bump, jumper etc) Both are bad on electrical but do what u got to do
(4) when bike is running rev bike up to 4000 rpm and with volt meter on the battery terminals check the voltage if its above 13.5volts its the batter if Below 13V DC its the rectifier.
If all that is good Check your ground connection and Hot connections on the starter its self, If all tight you prob has a screwed starter (unlikely but possible)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wait, what about bump-starting a bike is bad for the electrical? It should be the same as using the started except you're using your body energy to turn over the engine instead of the starter motor?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm having a similar problem, I turn the key on, all is good, I hit the starter button and everything dies, sometimes everything wont die and the solenoid will click, maybe the bike will turn over (slowly, very slowly). If I hook it up to the charger the bike will start no issue. I'm thinking check connections first, anything else I should be looking for?

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
Thanks all. I will check out the battery first and maybe get it replaced. Once the battery checks out I will try something new, although it has only been one time the bike has not started in the past 4 days but I would still like to know why.
My bike will not start (or even turn over) with the Kickstand down unless in neutral... IMO unless this happens again, you may have just done something incorrectly in the start up procedure....

·
Registered
653 Posts
get a battery tender and keep it plugged in for a few hours. :eek: if that fixed your problem maybe look into getting a new battery at the end of the season?

·
Ride to you limits
1,220 Posts
I'm having a similar problem, I turn the key on, all is good, I hit the starter button and everything dies, sometimes everything wont die and the solenoid will click, maybe the bike will turn over (slowly, very slowly). If I hook it up to the charger the bike will start no issue. I'm thinking check connections first, anything else I should be looking for?
1) Tighten your Connections on the battery terminal use a socket not a screw driver.
(2) Check the voltage of the batter with a DC volt meter should be over 12V/DC
(3) Try to get it started ( bump, jumper etc) Both are bad on electrical but do what u got to do
(4) when bike is running rev bike up to 4000 rpm and with volt meter on the battery terminals check the voltage if its above 13.5volts its the batter if Below 13V DC its the rectifier.
If all that is good Check your ground connection and Hot connections on the starter its self, If all tight you prob has a screwed starter (unlikely but possible)

·
GSX R600 K9
1,848 Posts
Clutch's reply seems to be accurate. Try it and let us know. Good luck!

The same thing happened to me when I bought my Gixer last year. The mechanic at the dealership changed the battery at first and sent me off.... As soon as my cooling fan went on, the bike chocked and died. So for the whole month of July last year, when it was sunny and beautiful, my bike was @ the dealership waiting for a new rectifier to be shipped from Japan. What a bummer!

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
Hi everyone. Just a quick question that hopefully someone can answer. I just bought a used 06 honda cbr600rr last week. It started no problem out of the lot and rode it home no problem. I even went on a 20min spin on it this morning and not a problem. I got home and stalled it a couple times while putting down the kickstand while still in gear. Anyway, about 10mins later I tried to start it and nothing. Just a click click click sound and nothing, don't think it is turning over or anything. I assumed its a battery issue so I jumped it with my car and it started right away. Went for another quick spin around the block, parked it, and now it is fine and starts everytime I try today. Im a little confused since it started no problem yesterday and today and after stalling it once it needed a jump to start, could it be a battery problem? What else should I check? Thanks all!:rockon
the starting circut will not function nor will the bike run, if the kickstand is down and the bike is in gear.... this is a safety feature, not a bad battery or anything else for that matter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts