BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This place is dead as fuck but I thought I may ask here anyways.

I've put nearly 20k on my '08fz1 and I'm quite happy with the bike now that I've done most all of the basic mods to it. Full exhaust, deletes, intake mods, tuning. I've also done custom seat, levers, and upgraded the rear shock. I am still struggling a little with suspension setup to be honest since the shock swap but that's maybe another topic. My FZ is the touring edition which gives it factory full fairing and fjr hardbags which I'm a big fan of. I've ridden the bike with and without the fairings, without it's just the same as the half faired 'normal' fz1, and no one will convince me that full fairings don't make a big difference.

I am curious if there are any bikes out there that would be a decent upgrade to this machine? I'm not wanting to go heavier like a fjr and if anything would like to go lighter and more power. But all the bikes I've been eyeing up seem to be compromises espescially in the hardbag department, full fairing, or comfort? One bike I've almost sold myself on is the tuono but I can't get past the lack of storage. Being able to lock my helmet in a hardbag is super convenient for my commute/work.

Maybe won't make any changes and will stick with the fz1 for awhile more but im always curious what's out there.

Anyways cheers to any real live human who read this.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,329 Posts
My last bike, '09 K1300S was by far my favourite. Super comfortable, electronically adjustable suspension was great, full fairings, hard bags, even a decent OEM seat. Endless power, too. Probably heavier than your FZ1, though.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 had /has plenty of fans. there is factory luggage available, and there are good options out there from Givi and especially Shad.

·
track hack
2,029 Posts
Agree with Doser.

Given your criteria, the only bike that I can think of that fits that is the Ninja 1000 with the bags added on.

However:

• it's heavier than the FZ1 by a bit
  • side bags aren't large, doubt a full face lid fits but not sure.
  • you want more power (can't imagine why honestly) but the Kawi has roughly 10 ponies less stock vs stock.

$15,5K for the regular model, not sure what they run fully kitted with bags or if that's just a factory add-on.

Oh, and make sure you look at the current Gen '20+ as that's a noticeable upgrade vs the previous Gen's.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've sat on but not ridden the new ninja 1000 and I like the looks of it but it doesn't meet my performance expectations atleast on paper to be honest. Everything I've done to the fz should put it around 145-150 to the wheel now about 25-30 over stock, haven't dynoed it but I've poured over many other mod lists and dyno charts from those that have. If you aren't familiar with the fz there is lots left on the table to be had with the mods I've done. An amazing bike and value rally. And I completely understand the power thing. I certainly don't need more power then I'm already playing with. I wrestle with this dilemma in my head often. But I would like it and if I can't have it I can't see upgrading. I'm planning a full rebuild/upgrade of the brake system on the fz this winter and maybe quickshifter too if I don't jump to another bike.

Really just hoping to see if there is something out there I've overlooked performance wise. I can't afford a h2se otherwise I think I would consider that over a n1000. I believe there is big gains to be had on those bikes with mods, but again pricey. Im seeing 2017+ tuonos dipping into my price range which is what's tempting me on that bike, if it could be setup for commuting/touring. I think similarish power to where I'm at now but lighter and I believe 2017 is when they had the big electronics upgrade. Abs and all that fancy stuff does appeal to me.

·
backslider
11,330 Posts
This - this age old dilemma - is what one might call the timeless conundrum ... comfort/tractability vs performance/jaw-dropping acceleration.

·
backslider
11,330 Posts
ps: I had an '06 K1200S, on which I put over 110k kms before selling it. Great bike, but lacking in some respsects (a bit heavy/a bit long/somewhat limited suspension adjustibility range). But over-all, a great compromise. Now - I'm on an '06 CBR-1000RR .... fantastic handling, acceleration, flickability and super-smooth gear-box (the K1200S had a very notchy shifting characteristic) ... but honestly, is more than challenging comfort-wise, on anything more than an hour or two (on the straight sections only!).

Reactions: Squisher

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The rumoured suzuki gsxs 1000T might be another option. Suzuki yet again late to the game.

If I was interested in a performance cruiser I'd probably go for the ninja 1000. Cheap and reliable. I missed a great deal on one several years back ... darn.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the answer is to have many many bikes but the insurance gets out of hand.

Another bike that I find myself considering at times is the mt-10. Polarizing styling, lack of fairings, and lack of decent looking hardbags all hold me back on that one though.

Probably I'll do another season with the fz, but part of the fun of motorcycling for me is trying/having different bikes so who knows. Tomorrow I've talked my wife into doing a little window shopping. Some people 'pub hop' I prefer to bike shop hop.

I appreciate all the input because I don't have any real opportunities to discuss bikes much. All of the suggestions I do research on so even if it's not ultimately a bike I will end up with I still enjoy learning about them.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
"Variety is the spice of life"

I can't get away with a variety of women but bikes are the next best thing.

Life is short. If motorcycling is your thing experience it to the fullest.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,237 Posts
I have a ZX14r. With bar risers, it's the most comfortable touring bike for me so far. GOBS AND GOBS of power, torque, etc. Chia here rides a ZX14 previous gen, and I'm on a 2016 ZX14R 2nd gen. I get about 10% better fuel economy, but essentially after that, it's the same bike. I have the SE, so have Brembo brakes, but I think the non-SE stockers are actually better. Add bags and you would be set.

Reactions: Squisher

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
squisher, re your FZ-1; Ride magazine in the UK ran/runs real-world tests on new model motorcycles, as do many magazines. part of Ride's assessment, however, is unique. they ride an approximately 300 mile / 500 km circuit, with A roads, B roads, and highways. and they 'go for it', in a way that a sporty rider wanting a full-meal-deal outing might do. and in the end, they time the loop...

for many years - like many MANY years, long after a multitude of new models had been introduced and tested - the quickest time they had ever recorded was with an FZ-1. the secret was that the bike was quick as hell (pretty much as quick as anything can be on the street - this is NOT a track!)... and comfortable! result: you could ride at the (street) limit all day.

it's a wonderful thing to think about new machines, and we all do it. but be careful of the 'grass is greener' effect. you've got a fast, comfy bike, and while it's not new and flashy and lacks modern electronic features, I predict you'll not find yourself 'quicker', no matter what else you switch to. and the money saved pays for a lot of tanks of fuel, and motels, and meals, and bottles of wine in the evening...

but keep on looking, man. that's a great pleasure!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear that loud and clear. I really do like the fz1 a lot and I probably will just hold tight for now. But what do you mean my bikes not flashy? lol. That is one of the things I like about it is that many people are a bit stumped by it with the full fairings there are no model identifiers visible on the bike, only tuning forks on the tank. Being not very flashy and having the hardbags has gotten me a pass or two as well I can't help but believe.

It's still fun for me to think about, consider, research and discuss. And there will always eventually be a next bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts