BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before new years I almost got hit by a car not paying attention to my advance green, I move out of the way only to meet the meridian. The front rim is bent, and I'm late for work. All the witnesses see I'm ok and leave, the driver who almost hit me didn't stop. I leave the bike on a nearby triangle meridian thing and get a lift back to my place in order to take the car to work.

Next morning my buddy passed by and saw the bike was now gone. I call towing companies, then the cops and it is indeed stolen.

At first I think....ok so now I don't have to pay to have the rim bent into shape....and I paid extra coverage with honda based on their claim that in the event it is ever stolen I can just walk back into honda and leave with a brand new model from that year cause they cover what icbc doesn't.

Now I'm friggin terrified there's going to be some loop hole they can attach to me for a new poop shute and have their way with me, leaving me sans bike and more screwed than I've ever been.

Anybody have advice, or experience dealing with this scenario.

·
My Twitter: SH1FTG34R
1,891 Posts
Well first of all, I would have never left my bike at a busy street or intersection, it's just asking for trouble. I know you had to get to work but I would of called a towing truck ASAP. Now, I don't think you'll get into any trouble since it was stolen by somebody, so I think you'll be okay. What i'm worried about is that icbc is going to say that you shouldn't of left your bike unattended at a busy intersection, what I would do is go to google and type in "Free Lawyer advice" and call them and ask :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Isn't getting hit by a car a valid excuse for being late for work?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Was that the one sitting on Mariner Way?
I saw it and thought WTF.
Good luck, but I never would have left it there.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Was that the one sitting on Mariner Way?
I saw it and thought WTF.
Good luck, but I never would have left it there.
Ya I saw it too??? and looked for the rider. Got a pick up and could have loaded it up for ya.

Bad place to leave it. there were a few bikes stolen last year from that area...anyone remember the posts? coqitlam mall area

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Whaaaat? You left your bike sitting on a maridian all day and expected it to be there later?

Why not at least push it to a side street?

Also your insurance would have covered your towing costs.

Sorry, don't want to sound like a jerky but...

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
Where the hell do you work that you couldn't be late due to "getting hit by a car" and why wouldn't you have called for a tow?:banghead

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
You got nothing to worry about. Whether it's stolen or wrecked, ICBC will treat you the same way...like a "King"*.

*Rodney King.

·
"Missing a few pieces!'
549 Posts
Okay so the dude must'a asked "can you all call me an idiot for leaving my bike there? I mean shit I didn't realize it was dumb, especially after it was stolen."
:horse
to the point he asked. ICBC will not be able to hassell you in regards to leaving your bike unattended *unless* you left the keys in it (you didn't did you?) Your insurance against theft is covered regardless of where it is parked (unlike "storage" insurance)
You may get tangled up sorting out which damage was the accident and which was a result of the theft which would / could affect what deductable you pay (IF it is different from Comprehensive / Theft)
So rest at ease that you will be covered if you have purchased the correct insurance, regardless of where you parked you bike after the incident.

OBVIOUS DISCLAIMER This commentary is the opinion of the author and in no way construe any sort of proffessional advice. For absolute fact, please consult your local insurance broker or law professional.

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
Have you actually talked to the people that administer the insurance you bought from Honda?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It was the one on Mariner, and I wasn't hit by the car, I had to quickly avoid this guy that started accelerating into me at the beginning of my left turn so everything happened pretty fast. I didn't tow it right away cause I had to go work in chiliwack, wasn't thinkin it would be stolen with a flat, and had a truck I was going to use the next day to bring it to my mechanic in chiliwack.

I almost got a van's license plate through my face so it wasn't high priority for me to think someone would lift it, and I had people countin on me being there in chiliwack so sittin around for a tow truck (that I also thought would cost me 80 bucks) wasn't in my best interest.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Well if a few of us remember seeing it there perhaps put up a sign there and see if anyone witnessed it being loaded up or moved...Never know and cant hurt...

works for dogs....maybe someone has it and is waiting to hear from its owner...

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Tell the truth
+1 ...But the truth as you see it now, not necessarily according to your foggy recollection of that day in question. I think you only imagined your bent rim and I applaude you for getting off the bike when you knew you were too shaken to ride confidently. Get it?

Apart from the above, FWIW: gather the useful info from this thread and delete it because ICBC adjusters do peruse this site. ;)

You're welcome.
:drinkbeer

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
Apart from the above, FWIW: gather the useful info from this thread and delete it because ICBC adjusters do peruse this site.
Ditto on this. If you feel you have got what you need from this thread delete it, pronto. I recall R1 Girl and a few others have been burned by ICBC as a result of stuff posted on this forum.

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
SkipTkt said:
Apart from the above, FWIW: gather the useful info from this thread and delete it because ICBC adjusters do peruse this site. ;)
Probably too late, ICBC monitors this site regularly. Lemme see, he rides a 2005 600rr stolen from Mariner Way before New Years

I hope your story here matched what you have already told ICBC....

or just delete the thread.

·
S2S anyone?
310 Posts
Yah, don't talk on here anymore until its been resolved with ICBC, but I'm interested in hearing the outcome. So post the results and details then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts