BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to start my bike ... after about 3 weeks and it doesnt start.. it will turnover however ..
what should i do next to see whats wrong with it.. thanks

i left out it is a older bike 85 honda interceptor vf500
thanks again

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
maybe if you try starting it instead of satarting it (beer talking)

seriously, put it in second gear, then run with it downhils with clutch in when you pick up speed let the clutch go while hitting the starter and crank the throttle, that ought to start it.

or you can take your battery to canadian tire and ask them to check it ... dont forget to say please

·
Registered Abuser
1,017 Posts
Is it turning over strong enough that it should start? Have you tried jump starting it? Find a little hill, drop it into second and pop the clutch. Sorry I can't offer any clear cut help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It Turns over but not starting...check for gas, full tank?, turn on the gas? pull a plug wire and check for spark. Yes to spark. Yes to gas, then look at the carbs and there is a small slot screw on the bottom/side of each carb. open them and gas should flow. drain some out then try to start it. Still no go? post up what youve done. or give Villi beer. Or take it to Bill at 5th

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It Turns over but not starting...check for gas, full tank?, turn on the gas? pull a plug wire and check for spark. Yes to spark. Yes to gas, then look at the carbs and there is a small slot screw on the bottom/side of each carb. open them and gas should flow. drain some out then try to start it. Still no go? post up what youve done. or give Villi beer. Or take it to Bill at 5th
yeh but first check the bettery like we said. You got an old bike, prolly old battery, it got a bit cool at night which affects it. Try jumping it first, then take the bat to be checked at canadian tire (sometime they doit for free). If that dont work, you probably dont know how to fix it so take it to billy at 5th gear

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
oh yeh man i had a few big bottles of Unibroue Trois Pistoles. its 9% beer and one of the worlds top rated stouts ... its pretty good, i will drink it again, even though i am not all that big on stouts

·
Registered Abuser
1,017 Posts
Is that the beer from Quebec? I've done some pretty extensive experimenting with it and discovered that it tastes different at different temperatures.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
so i went to start my bike ... after about 3 weeks and it doesnt start.. it will turnover however ..
what should i do next to see whats wrong with it.. thanks

i left out it is a older bike 85 honda interceptor vf500
thanks again
I probably has enough juice to turn over but not enough to create a spark while turning over. Just jump it from another vehicle.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
I probably has enough juice to turn over but not enough to create a spark while turning over. Just jump it from another vehicle.
And in case it's not obvious from doing this if you find that jumping it starts the bike right up then it's because your battery is old and it's not holding a charge. So you need to get a new one.

Older batteries on their last gasps often have problems with the first cool days of fall. The cooler temperatures lower the chemical activity that produces the electricity and they just :surrender

·
What's the speed of dark?
163 Posts
Bill - Don't you mean from another "bike"?
I blew the battery on my '95 VFR a few years jumping it from my truck. Too many amps on the car/truck batteries...

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I blew the battery on my '95 VFR a few years jumping it from my truck. Too many amps on the car/truck batteries...
I've worked at lot's of shops and jump started 100's of bikes with a car battery. Never seen anything blow up. Just don't have the car running and leave it on for ever. Just hook it up and hit the starter.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've worked at lot's of shops and jump started 100's of bikes with a car battery. Never seen anything blow up. Just don't have the car running and leave it on for ever. Just hook it up and hit the starter.
I blew a fuse once doing this, but normally it works fine.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts

A car should be fine unless the bike battery is really low.

But that's a good point. If the bike battery is super low then disconnect the bike's battery and just use the car battery hooked directly to the bike's battery cables. That'll tell you if the bike is running and at the same time confirm that the bike's battery is low or beyond help.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
yeah i've jumped many a bike from many a different vehicle's and as long as the car/truck is not running, it's all good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts