BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 144 Posts

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,808 Posts
so, if ur gonna hodl, how far for security? encrypted paper wallet micro etched on surgically implanted titanium strip and thermite grenade to the hardware, or something stronger?
ideally you'll want a hardware wallet (ex, https://trezor.io/) for any non-dabbling amount of crypto.
This sort of device will keep your keys safe and private, and otherwise immune from 'hacking'.
The device can be lost or stolen; it still requires pins and passcodes to unlock your funds, and your access to your funds can restored and recovered to a new device if you 'lose' it.
The only real 'issue' is keeping your seed words safe and secure. There's numerous games that can be played with this, it can likely even be 'hidden in plain view', if you give it the adequate camouflage.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
yabut. how do you know their software is secure? I know open source and all, but plenty of open source vulnerabilities out there. I think for me that it's probably enough (and prob the best bet considering its recovery/anti stupidity features), but how do you know for absolute certain that the only thing that can steal your coins is something that breaks bitcoin altogether?

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,808 Posts
yabut. how do you know their software is secure? I know open source and all, but plenty of open source vulnerabilities out there. I think for me that it's probably enough (and prob the best bet considering its recovery/anti stupidity features), but how do you know for absolute certain that the only thing that can steal your coins is something that breaks bitcoin altogether?
certainly not impossible

obviously there's wizards out there who *can* pull off prettymuch anything. But note the firmware patch in response.
So really you'd have to worry about an unknown attacker gaining physical access to your personal device to pull off an undiscovered 0-day? how many coins do you need to own to even begin to attract this kind of attention??!

but; if you're worried about it, go with a paper wallet, or do a fresh wallet generation from a bootable usb (tails!), note address, take down recovery phrase, and nuke the keys, shred the drive. hexdump a base64 encode of the recovery phrase, split into 4 parts, encrypt these chunks with seperate pass phrases and get the ASCII dumps, put this in 4 seperate locations, and draw up a davinci-code style misdirectional map; tear this into pieces and bury a piece on different continents, with the GPS to each one given to a seperate grandchild...

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
thanks. that was very interesting. I like the bit about the unscrupulous case removing attackers. as opposed to the abundant scruples of the thieving cunts who would leave your case intact I suppose.
also, the summary where he mentions fault injection reminded me of glitching direct tv cards. that certainly didn't take any wizardry. hopefully hardware wallets are more robust than that.

obviously there's wizards out there who *can* pull off prettymuch anything. But note the firmware patch in response.
So really you'd have to worry about an unknown attacker gaining physical access to your personal device to pull off an undiscovered 0-day? how many coins do you need to own to even begin to attract this kind of attention??!

but; if you're worried about it, go with a paper wallet, or do a fresh wallet generation from a bootable usb (tails!), note address, take down recovery phrase, and nuke the keys, shred the drive. hexdump a base64 encode of the recovery phrase, split into 4 parts, encrypt these chunks with seperate pass phrases and get the ASCII dumps, put this in 4 seperate locations, and draw up a davinci-code style misdirectional map; tear this into pieces and bury a piece on different continents, with the GPS to each one given to a seperate grandchild...
at least it sounds like we are skinning the same cat with thermite grenade/surgical implant vs. shredder and davinci code. just wanted to make sure I was thinking about this properly.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,808 Posts
good to see you're keeping up on all the 'latest' in bitcoin news; what, are all the metalhead news sites warming up to the idea of "gold 2.0" ? :p

as I'm sure you well know, the initial 'PBOC bitcoin ban' panic, which has indeed resulted in exchange investigations, halting of trading, and even freezing of withdrawals, has already been largely shrugged off and absorbed by the market; the bull is back running - hope ya'll bought the dip. SEC ETF final decision in March. place your bets accordingly

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
good to see you're keeping up on all the 'latest' in bitcoin news; what, are all the metalhead news sites warming up to the idea of "gold 2.0" ? :p

as I'm sure you well know, the initial 'PBOC bitcoin ban' panic, which has indeed resulted in exchange investigations, halting of trading, and even freezing of withdrawals, has already been largely shrugged off and absorbed by the market; the bull is back running - hope ya'll bought the dip. SEC ETF final decision in March. place your bets accordingly

It can be very good and safe to buy 'stuff' on paper with seasonal variances in mind. Natural gas for example, it works every year and is very safe. Gold used to be bought and sold like this as well, based on India's spring marriage season. Modi's clamp down on not only paper money, but gold transactions cross border has eliminated this in it's tracks. China is looking 'sternly' at Bitcoin's use as a means to get money out of the country. it can happen overnight.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,808 Posts
certainly 'not without risk'. however, "banning" it doesn't seem to work out so well. (how exactly DO you ban face-to-face transactions?)
As you point out, it's rather easy to spot the guy with bullion in his shirt (step through the metal detector please sir), but nigh impossible to spot a memorized brainwallet crossing a border.

But really though; what.is.UP with this January 1988 Economist cover heralding the rise of a 'one world currency' ... in 2018 (seems an odd call to donkey-tail a year on that claim)

not going to be BTC though. It'll be something strictly controlled, de-anonymized, and highly regulated ... how else will they nullify 'dissidents' at will ?

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
not going to be BTC though. It'll be something strictly controlled, de-anonymized, and highly regulated ... how else will they nullify 'dissidents' at will ?
might be a place for both. I don't really think I want the neighbour buying his home with shady, murder for hire, crypto bucks. Since you're not an anarchist, I'm sure you agree.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
But really though; what.is.UP with this January 1988 Economist cover heralding the rise of a 'one world currency' ... in 2018 (seems an odd call to donkey-tail a year on that claim)
I think you're over thinking the date, they just did a '30 years from now' prediction.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,808 Posts

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,808 Posts
I think you're over thinking the date, they just did a '30 years from now' prediction.

aaa yes, the 80's. when 30-year predictions were all the rage. Just odd the artist didn't round up to 2020... when Robocop arrives

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,808 Posts
Do they see bitcoin as a threat?
Of course they do; no one wants to have their entire business model fall under the rise of the 'next napster'

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The Bank of Canada wants government intervention regarding digital currencies. They have also been working on their own. Do they see bitcoin as a threat?

https://btcmanager.com/boc-digital-currencies-will-not-survive-without-regulation/
What government, all government sees as the ultimate threat, is the cash society. they want to know about every transaction, everyone's deposit, everyone's value. The push for cashless society so they can tax it is their ultimate goal. They are testing it now in India, and most will not accept Australian $100's, and EU $500's now. I predict only the U.S. dollar as the world currency within 25 yrs.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
Well almost at "parity" with gold again, which means exactly jack shit I guess, but kinda exciting regardless .*
They say the pending etf is about $150 of value. *I call bullshit. *I'm thinking it dumps $400 if the etf fails and only goes up about $100 if at all if the sec gives their ok.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,808 Posts
a lot of eyes on the ETF for sure; decision could go either way at this point, but hodler's know: on this it's ultimate fate does not depend.

but I think i'm going to grab some more BTC here, keep it on the tables for the drop ... if it's a yes, hodl on as it trends up... no: instant duck and cover from the btc dump into ETH or alt of choice and ride the inverse wave up ...win-win, whicheverway the COIN flops

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
I can't buy into eth. *I hope that popescu or whoever broke that shittily written dao thing does sue and get his money back.
How is eth better than fiat if the developer can say : ya screw your money I don't like what u did so, fuckin yoink.
If anything, that makes it even less fungible than serialized paper cash.*

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Odds are against the ETF going through. Buying now could bring a short term loss of up to $400. You wouldn't lose long term.
I'm waiting till after the 11th for a buying opportunity. If it does go through, that's fine too.

I'm not an Eth guy either. It stunk from day one.

21 - 40 of 144 Posts