BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

61 - 80 of 144 Posts

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
Of course then there would be a record of 2000 Btc to pay cap gains on. *Unless they got lost in a tragic computer malfunction I suppose. *What's the law in Canada if you "lose" a rapidly appreciating asset. *Do you have to prove to cra that it's really gone?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Call to CRA:

" My computer crashed and I lost all 2000 bitcoins. Can I declare the loss? "

CRA:

" Hold on sir (in a heavy French or East Indian accent). What is this bitcoin you speak of? "

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,800 Posts
"realtor upset at discovery that realtors are no longer necessary"

LOL

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
Ya except investing in any kinky, chinese money dump, real estate market over the past 3 or 4 years would have netted you way better returns with way less risk.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Blog/Politics
Posted May 21, 2017 by Martin Armstrong

QUESTION: Marty,
In light of the recent ransomware attacks where individuals/companies are being held hostage until they pay the criminals in bitcoins, why wouldn’t governments around the globe step in and just shut down Bitcoin. It amazes me. Bitcoin allows people to sell everything from drugs to trade secrets on Wall Street and they do this without having to even pay taxes on it! What’s going on behind the scene that allows this operation to continue?
MM
ANSWER: My guess is they are doing the same as tax straddles during the 70s. They knew what was going on and let it run and then fined everybody with interest and penalties. Incidents like this do not bode well for BitCoin and authorities going forward. Way too easy for a politicians to make a big issue out of it. They are already coining the phrase “cash is for criminals” so it would be easy to swap out a word here and there.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,800 Posts
> it would be easy to swap out a word here and there

certainly is, isn't it

In light of the recent attacks where individuals/companies are being held hostage until they pay the criminals in cash, why wouldn’t governments around the globe step in and just shut down cash. It amazes me. cash allows people to sell everything from drugs to trade secrets on Wall Street

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
Well a gubment could shutdown btc, but they'd hafta be some hard hearted motherfuckers to do it. *Lotta that back room, rubber hose, type of business.
Any country that could do what it takes to kill btc within its borders could more easily end the drugs or the Stock market corruption.
Also Marty's an idiot. *The premise of the question is bitcoins anonymity, so how can the answer totally ignore/refute that premise without some kind of explanation?

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,800 Posts
a bit late to put the honeybadger back in the box.
Sure, countryX could 'ban' bitcoin. But CountryA,B,C,D,E,F, and G are still behind it, so ... that'd just be the time for an extended vacation.

or you could just keep all faith in the banks

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,800 Posts

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
yea, 'china bans bitcoin'. again. weeee. paired with a co-ordinated attack in major media = cheap coins

so, who bought the dip?. Hrm.... JPm, we see what u did there...
what am I lookin at there? I don't speaka de yargee bargee .

umm bitcoins in a TFSA? yes please.

although, from your article, some Canadians don't get it (or, you know, are totally in on it. because, Quebec.)
By comparison, Quebec's financial services regulator recently accepted an ICO into its so-called regulatory sandbox, as CoinDesk reported on Wednesday.
edit: Whoa, Look on down the road. no offence, but I was expecting something a bit fringe. that shit is real, and timely.
Still reading the BIS explanation of the different accounting treatments of derivatives.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,800 Posts
Anyone who bought bitcoin and litecoin when this thread started made out like bandits.
it's kinda funny looking back at BCSB's first crypto thread. Wasn't really "into" it at the time, tho that thread certainly helped raise (my) awareness. So umm, yea, thanks for that, I probably owe you a beer one day :p

now quick! some other country ban it!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
it's kinda funny looking back at BCSB's first crypto thread. Wasn't really "into" it at the time, tho that thread certainly helped raise (my) awareness. So umm, yea, thanks for that, I probably owe you a beer one day :p

now quick! some other country ban it!
Thanks for the old thread. Sometimes I hate reading what I posted years ago but that wasn't too bad ... lol.

It's been a profitable adventure for sure. Bought me a few bikes over the years. Maybe a sport tourer next year.

Beer is good. :cheers

61 - 80 of 144 Posts