BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was just thinking on the ride home today morning, that I distinctly remember Steve Crevier and Steve Dick blipping the throttle under heavy braking before turn 1 at Mission last year....

by "blipping" I mean I saw he right hand rev the engine while he was downshifting and braking at the same time....talk about coordination all 4 working it plus concentrating on the corner....man...

well my question why whould I want to do that? and how ?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You do that to match your engine speed with the lower gear. It gives you a smoother downshift and prevents the rear wheel hopping under severe downshifting/braking.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, I thoguth it was that....now how do I do it ?

normal shift :

close throttle
disengage clutch
up/down shift
engage clutch
open throttle

blipping shift ?

rev
close throttle
disengage clutch
down shift
engage clutch
open throttle

???

·
Registered
227 Posts
i'm guessing this is similar to "double clutching" or "rev matching" in a manual car?

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
Most racers do not use the clutch when downshifting and using the brakes etc. You just blip the throttle and bang it down a gear. It's a fine art that comes with much practice. Some will use the clutch if there is an issue with the bike (saving it) or if the race engineer decides that the parts installed will be better off using the clutch. Try it once. You'll be amazed how useless the clutch is sometimes...

Either way the idea is to get the gears down without "disturbing" the rear traction circle. You've seen with GP bikes the rear sliding out under braking into a turn... imagine popping the clutch out in a downshift in this situation... luckily most riders are already in the proper exit gear at this point but you can imagine the high side that would ensue...

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
Process take 1/2 a second:

Foot on gearshift.

At the SAME time blip throtle, pull in clutch a bit and bang it down a gear. To be honest the throttle action should be started about 5 milliseconds before the two other actions. And the clutch should be about 5 milliseconds before the gear shift...

Try it at about 80 going from 5th to 4th...safe speed to do it at. The gryo efect of the wheels will smooth out any jerkiness you incur so that you don't get sketchy or wobble. And try it in a straight line for the first couple months.

·
Registered
193 Posts
here is the way to do it:
close throttle
disengage clutch
down shift
BLIP throttle (to bring RPM up to match that of the lower gear)
engage clutch (before RPM comes back down)
open throttle

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Human, you took the Action course and I am surprised you did not learn it there. The BCSC course I took four years ago taught this to our class of never-evers, I just assumed it was a standard technique...

·
Registered
787 Posts
vrecksler said:
Human, you took the Action course and I am surprised you did not learn it there. The BCSC course I took four years ago taught this to our class of never-evers, I just assumed it was a standard technique...
I took the course at Action back in '99 and they never taught me that. But i do use this technique because i use it in my car too.

It helps keep the revs up so that u can take off faster when you throttle after, especially coming out of corners.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Please guys NEVER downshift without the clutch. It may be okay for racers who can replace their tranny after each race, but if you love your bike, you'll downshift with the clutch. Upshift is okay without.

·
Registered
898 Posts
how are you guys able to blip the throttle while hard on the brakes at the same time? Whenever I try to do it, I end up pulling the brake lever a bit each time I try to blip the throttle, causing the bike to jerk.

Is there some special sort ot technique? or is it all just practice?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I do this all the time.. it was how I was taught. Always match engine speed with road speed for that gear.. I blip, and on the engines decelration i engage the gear when I feel appropriate.. if I do it smoothly.. it sounds good.. if not.. I get a bit of lurch.

It certaitnly is something that needs practicing. You also need to learn how to control the throttle while breaking hard.. and also need to learn that the rear brake is BAD when doing this..

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
geebutbut said:
how are you guys able to blip the throttle while hard on the brakes at the same time? Whenever I try to do it, I end up pulling the brake lever a bit each time I try to blip the throttle, causing the bike to jerk.

Is there some special sort ot technique? or is it all just practice?
Index and middle finger on the brake and ring/pinky finger on the throttle. It does take a little getting use to. You have you sort of slide your index and middle finger instead of accidentally grabbing more brake when you blip the throttle with your ring and pinky.

I think for me, the sliding the fingers helped alot.

·
Je ne suis pas Francais
3,398 Posts
I personaly use only the index on the throttle and the major, ring and pinky on the brakes .

I thought everybody was using that technique of blipping the throttle while decelarating , it's soooo much smoother and easier on the clutch .

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AlphaRed said:
here is the way to do it:
close throttle
disengage clutch
down shift
BLIP throttle (to bring RPM up to match that of the lower gear)
engage clutch (before RPM comes back down)
open throttle

now that makes more sense, I dunno what I was thinking....thanks...

·
Burn it up
163 Posts
yeah....ive always used this technique when downshifting, u can practice it slowing down, just get used to being on the front brake and having some throttle control at the same time, then work on getting it smooth and quick.

No matter how much I hear how its "ok" to not use the clutch when upshifting, I just cant bring myself to do it very much. Can someone just assura exactly how "ok" it actually is. I used to ride dirt with no up clutching, but dirt just feels different, softer or something. I used the clutch when riding my DB on the road for short distances.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
For quick upshifts, pre-load (ie. upward pressure with the toe) the shifter, THEN ease off the gas while engaging the clutch slightly. The shift lever will "snick" into the next gear.

No, you are not shifting without using the clutch. But it's only being used a little.

Done properly it's VERY QUICK and SMOOTH.

Practice, practice, practice :)

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Yeah, teaching this technique of downshifting is a part of the BCSC curiculum. If you do it all the time, it forces youy to always be in the correct gear, incase you need to get back on the throttle after slowing down. Also, then you're in the right gear for the corner exit.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Just another reason to take the BCSC course over the Action course, as long as they are competitively priced.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts