BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyones tried this, manage to fit one of those earpieces inside their lid. how sucessful was it?

i'm kinda thinking on the lines of getting some communicating device other then the chatterbox style.

·
Registered
260 Posts
oh yeah... that's a great idea.
that way you can RIDE like all the other distracted idiots in their CARS.
JUST RIDE.
you can talk at Starbucks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wait, wait! Maybe he has a REALLY good reason. So what is it? And please don't say, "to talk to my girlfriend about that last episode of Oprah, while we ride."

·
Bring on the sun
2,078 Posts
I've heard of it being done...No chance in hell I could fit mine inside my helmet though. Have to make some sort of mods.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
geezzz, can there be anymore flames. i always ride with earplugs and always carry 2 extra sets of plugs with me.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the Bluetooth technology, but can comment on "in helmet," communication.
Having noise in your helmet does not immediately make me a knuckle dragging, mouth breathing moron on a motorcycle.
Used intelligently, communications, either bike to bike, or bike to car or cell phone, can enhance the riding experience, and "up," the safety factor.
Examples? I was in a group of 6 motorcycles on a road trip up north (Yukon and Alaska). In helmet communications allowed us to keep tabs on the riders stretched out over several miles. Fuel low? No problem. Rest break? Immediately organized. Flat tire? No guessing or questions, we all knew at the same time.
CB radio's may be a bad joke for some, however, travel in the southern States has proven to me it's an effective way of garnering traffic, weather and safety information while trolling along a busy freeway. Need an exit? No worries, because a trucker will take you what mile marker and which place to shop/stop/fuel/eat.
Want to travel at a velocity that's *your* particular style? Knowing where, how many and what the police are doing can be handy "counter intelligence."
No, scoff if you must, I'm a large fan of "in helmet," communication.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Okay, I'll scoff.
Those sound like fine reasons to use in-helmet communication, but hand signals work the same.
On a philosophical side, I communicate at work all day long. The only time I ever truly escape the cacaphony of everyday existence is on my motorcycle. No cell phones in my ear, no girlfriend asking this or that, no buddies phoning. Just pure peace and quiet. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your reply michael....thats exactly the reasoning behind my asking. I was planning on a few long distance trips this year with a few riders, and rather then have us all by a chatterbox style set, i'd figure we could try some headset idea. It's not to chit chat while riding "hey check out that chick" its more for if we get separated, low fuel emergency etc.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Jason, I have to agree. The bike is the only time where I have an opportunity to think of and do nothing other than concentrate on my ride, anything more is too risky. As a geezer rider my abilities to multi task aren't what they used to be, less demands on my attention are better and safer.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yes, I get into those moods when all i want is solitude.
One of the reasons why I ride a motorcycle.
I just shut the communications and music off.
Instant solitude.
Warp9racing, you may decide, as an alternative, to install a CB radio, without the bluetooth technology. Sure, there's a wire dangling from your helmet, but last time I looked, bluetooth was considerably more expensive. (if that's an issue for you).
The ability to "bluetooth," a radar detector, interbike communications, CBradio, cell phone, GPS verbal prompts astounds me.
Needed? No.
Handy? yes.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I've bungled through a few different blue tooth ear pieces for my Samsung phone and so far the best ear piece I've found is the latest Jebra. But I wouldn't be putting it in my helmet. It's very quiet and there's just no way it'll be audible at speed.

If you're serious, the new BMW helmets with blue tooth built in is what your'e looking for. However, all of your mates would need the same helmet. And it may not be compatible with North American cell phones.

On long rides with others, I make sure we all have each other's cell phone numbers. If someone gets seperated, breaks down or runs out of gas, we agree to call each other. Everything else can be done with hand signals.

But that's just my opinion, just as you're entitled to yours. Truth be told, next time I'm in Europe, I'm off the the BMW dealership to check out those blue tooth helmets. I'm such a sucker for gadgets.

·
Jason #8,946,528
305 Posts
The base BMW System 5 helmet runs approx. 400-440 Euros, the WCS-1 (System 5 w/ Bluetooth) runs 880-900 Euros. You really have to have a strong desire to talk to people at those prices. I personally picked up the System 5, back in February, it is a great flip-face helmet. I also like the looks of the BMW Sportintegral one-piece, but it does not have the Bluetooth option, I believe. The Sportintegral also doesn't come in anything larger than size 61 (equivalent to Shoei large).

·
Registered
913 Posts
The GF and I use those 2-way FS Radios with hands free, and its works great. Usually its for pee breaks/gas stops and warning each other of road hazards.

We did a road trip to calgary, and used them for a couple of deers hiding in the bushes ready to pounce out. Its good if used properly. Not recommended for city driving, but mostly for road trips and highway riding.

She knows better than to say..."so hunny, how was your day....."

·
Registered
37 Posts
gforce69 said:
Try this available through most cell retailers and motovan.

http://cardowireless.com/scala_rider/
That's what I would recommend as the answer to your question. It's made specifically for motorcycles and works great/safely for on bike use. You just tap the unit to pickup and end calls, it also does voice dialing if your phone is setup to do that. I've used one on the road and it's nice and clear, the person I was speaking to thought I was at home. You can get them at most of the local bike shops, $199 if you have a bluetooth phone.

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Just picked up the CARDO last night. Will be testing it this weekend as a bike to bike communication device, So cool.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts