1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Nice writeup of the only modern Bimmer that would be on my short list these days...The lengthy option list irks me a bit, though.

But DUDE----if those skis had dug into the ground on the right side---OUCH!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice writeup of the only modern Bimmer that would be on my short list these days...The lengthy option list irks me a bit, though.

But DUDE----if those skis had dug into the ground on the right side---OUCH!
They were my old cross country set, all is good. I forgot to take a precaution from a previous article though:

I agree the options list is a bugger. Its easy to take a almost reasonably priced bike and rack up a whopping price tag.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I always enjoy your video reviews.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heeeeeeeeey, you were the dude on that RC8 by Squamish a few weeks ago! :D
Guilty. What were you riding?

Still working on the video for that one, was a bit rough the tires never got warm enough to push the RC8 much. Footage is looking a bit "upright". :(

Though got some good shots over in west van, until I it was politely asked to leave.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,268 Posts
Guilty. What were you riding?

Still working on the video for that one, was a bit rough the tires never got warm enough to push the RC8 much. Footage is looking a bit "upright". :(

Though got some good shots over in west van, until I it was politely asked to leave.
I was on a bone stock R6 :devillook

West Van Starbucks is what I meant when I said Squamish... doh. That was all part of this poseur gathering: http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108166

Looking forward to watching that review!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was on a bone stock R6 :devillook

West Van Starbucks is what I meant when I said Squamish... doh. That was all part of this poseur gathering: http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108166

Looking forward to watching that review!
Oh, cool! Sorry I didn't put two and two together. Bit slow today, under the weather.

That was just before we started doing runs up and down the MotoGP section filming. Lots of good footage, didn't even get pulled over for having a camera boom hanging out of the back of the jeep ;)

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
I agree the options list is a bugger. Its easy to take a almost reasonably priced bike and rack up a whopping price tag.
I was very seriously considering an 800GS. But apart from the overly pushy Pac Yam staff and "sold out" JV Stock, the bike is just too damn expensive. $20,000 loaded up? I'm better off getting a fully-farkled used GS1200.

The bike's fantastic and will no doubt suit many people's riding. But for that price tag I shifted my focus to a more suitable 90/10 bike and a dirt oriented second bike (ie multi & DRZ combo), and still have cash left over. That way if my gf wants to learn to ride I also have a toy for her.

You have to think, it's a great bike but do you really want to single-track a $20,000 bike? I also think you have to spend a bit more over and above the $20,000 (since all that gets you is luggage, computer, ABS and anti-theft) to get it really suited to touring with heated grips, hand guards, crash bars, custom seat.

But again, great review Neil. I look forward to getting some riding with you on your adventures this year. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scott,
I agree the price point is a valuable consideration, most likely though a majority of F800GS owners won't be hitting the single-track. The
F800GS (despite BMW's marketing) still represents an adventure bike rather than full on dirt bike. It meets the need of those who don't want to do a 3000km+ ride on a DRZ in order to enjoy the web-work of dirt roads North America offers.
One consideration also is the hidden costs of a second bike vs. single bike ownership, such as insurance and maintenance in addition to the second bikes cost. A few years of second bike ownership and the price difference between the F800GS and a two bike garage start to even out - just a thought.
Personally, I'm totally onboard with the idea of a used R1200GS, or more likely R1200GS Adventure - when I drop something I want the earth to feel the impact and hurt. Mind you, I'm not a serious off-road rider, and tend to do moderate to longish rides and fairly mild adventure riding, so will trade off comfort for off road ability.

Would be good to get out on the roads with you man. Looks like I'm doing Utah in June and Arctic Circle/Alaska in August as web series.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts