BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if this is a good alternative to wearing full leathers in the summer.

If you dont know what

something like that, with a t-shirt on,

I mean so you wouldn't have to die of heat in the summer... i mean if it isn't a good idea, i guess ill still have the wear my leathers

·
8=(,,,)==D
458 Posts
You'll still get rashed, if you wear it without leather. When I slid at 80km/h, the leathers itself caused enough friction to give a light patch of rash on my arm.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Yeah that type of armour is for impact only. I wear stuff like that mountian biking and that stuff is hella hot.

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
when you bail the first time.. even going 30 km/hr come back and ask if not wearing the proper gear was worth it.

my minimum for riding in the summer.. thick jean, race boots, race gloves, back protector, and leather jacket.

still not enough

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but arn't textiles almost the same thing? just a mess covering with armor in it?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Textile type jackets have the material on the outside (the textile) which is the part that prevents abrasion. The armour keeps hard point parts (elbows, back, and shoulders) from bruising or breaking. The t-shirt you suggested will be gone as soon as you slide and the direct contact of the armour will more than likely cause it to shift on your body.

Honestly I would just buy a decent mesh jacket. If you want one of the best ones, have a look at the Vanson one. It's under $200 which isn't too far from the armour you showed above. They have them at BK. Go try one on.

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
my Joe Rocket textile jacket impacted a truck at some speed ~50km/hr, slid on the ground, hit the curb, major scuffage... still usable.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I wear and sell lot's of those. They work great. Way better than a mesh textile jacket. If you go over the bars and end up sliding feet first a textile jacket will lift and rash your lower back. The Body armour stays in place and covers all the main areas , spine, shoulders , kidneys , elbows, collarbone and chest.

Most textiles only have a 1/4 of soft impact foam that grinds away fairly fast and they don't fit as tight and will slide around exposing skin. Leather with hard armour is still the best for sliding but for around town and stunting I like the body armour with a hoody it's comfortable and it's better than the traditional wife beater T

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Your question asked if it's an alternative to wearing full leathers.

The answer is No. Nothing is better at being leather than leather.

Is it better than a T-shirt? Yeah. What Bill says about the sliding feet first makes sense (and he'd know alot more about that than I would ;) ). When it gets really hot I wear a mesh jacket & jeans with propper boots & gloves around town. Note the 'around town' part.

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5thgear said:
I wear and sell lot's of those. They work great. Way better than a mesh textile jacket. If you go over the bars and end up sliding feet first a textile jacket will lift and rash your lower back. The Body armour stays in place and covers all the main areas , spine, shoulders , kidneys , elbows, collarbone and chest.

Most textiles only have a 1/4 of soft impact foam that grinds away fairly fast and they don't fit as tight and will slide around exposing skin. Leather with hard armour is still the best for sliding but for around town and stunting I like the body armour with a hoody it's comfortable and it's better than the traditional wife beater T
yah I remember coming into your store and you telling me that, I dont think you have a full armor, like that pic i have. Do you have any ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
So wait here, ive been curious about that stuff for a while and never asked. Do people wear all that body armour under a pair or leathers? or do most people just wear their leathers with the back protector. I would never ride without the back protector, but i didnt think all that stuff would even fit under suit?

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
The don't fit to well under leathers but you could. Most good leathers have armour (soft) with the option to buy hard armour.

I crashed on a downhill cross country race in Lilloet on a hill called " blue disk" which is 1200' straight down and there's no stopping. I hit a hidden log in the grass while passing and did about a 70 km/h tumble thru rocks and logs. I remember laying there and thinking " I'm not hurt" this body armour works. Got up and kept racing.

Best thing about the armour suits you can use them for lot's of sports , snowmobiling, BMX , Mountainbike downhill, snowboarding , dodge ball...

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
hey where can i play dodgeball around here... Bill, you starting a proffesional stunt dodgeball league or something?

T

·
0 Posts
I asked my EX G/F to join me in Las Vegas and was going to ask her to marry me......but she had "dodgeball" practice.

Dodgeball and I don't get along anymore!!!

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
the purple cobras....SHIT NO WAY...im on it!!!

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
"If you can dodge a wrench, then you can dodge a dodgeball!"

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
0.o

i love how the topics of mine always some how go way off topic lol...

meh dont matter i go the answers im looking for anyways :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts