BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help. I bought a 2007 aprilia sxv 450 two days ago. Drove it for an hour test ride and then bought it basically that same morning. Then 20minutes later a rod blows through my crank case.
So I a looking for advice. Should I try to part the bike out or does anyone know where I might be able to find a used engine for sale???

Any constructive advise would be kind....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I blew a whole in my crank case with my rod

In my 2007 aprilia sxv 450. And I don't know what to do. Is there a place that sells used engines or do you think I should just part my bike out.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
eBay is a good spot to watch for new motors. Pay attention to freight charges though.

Supermotojunikies is a site to check in with other SVX riders and see if they have any tips for your specific bike.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
I have fixed engines that "windowed"....If it isnt like a bomb went off and just blew a hole it may be fixed. But first see what a new set of cases are and go from there..either way it wont be cheap. But a blown up bike isnt worth much. Better to try and get it running. Perhaps put up some good pix...If it looks fixable I will let you know.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Talk to PeeWee. He knows those things.

·
Registered
66 Posts
engine need to be rebuild every 60h. 2007 engines with red silicon between engine cases it is bad engine from factory. Engines with brack silicon between engine cases seem to last longer and run better. If you get engine from ebay you have to ask lot of question before you buy it

·
Wait for me, I'm SLOW
1,224 Posts
engine need to be rebuild every 60h. 2007 engines with red silicon between engine cases it is bad engine from factory. Engines with brack silicon between engine cases seem to last longer and run better. If you get engine from ebay you have to ask lot of question before you buy it

+1 lots of problems with those bikes. Check the Aprilia Forum they can help out as well.

·
Those guys are f#%@ed
339 Posts
The SXV450's are widely known for blown motors in the first few hundred k's of use. If this motor had the orange engine sealant, then this is your culprit. If the engine didn't blow, then you would soon get engine oil that looks like latte.

You will need to have the engine rebuilt with the black sealant, otherwise it will happen again.

Just out of curiosity, was this one for sale up at International Motorsports?

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,796 Posts
Sounds like a case of 'somebody didn't do their homework'.
Yeouch. That sucks.
Atleast when it breaks - you get to keep both pieces! :evilgrin

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Well if you bought it from a dealer I suppose there might be some kind of lemon law to make them take it back,but I don't know for sure.
If it was a private sale you could take the guy to civil court but I think you may need to prove he knew it was going to happen.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts