BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys (and girls) that have them on your bike, did you notice a big difference in comparison to stock?. I mean they look prettier than stock but I am hoping there is a signifigant improvement over stock on an 00 R6.

Also any suggestions on where to buy some locally or is it cheaper through E bay

TIA

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
97GSXR600 said:
For you guys (and girls) that have them on your bike, did you notice a big difference in comparison to stock?. I mean they look prettier than stock but I am hoping there is a signifigant improvement over stock on an 00 R6.

Also any suggestions on where to buy some locally or is it cheaper through E bay

TIA

I doubt there would be any performance difference just from using a braided brake line.
It may be stronger, but I think other than that it's purely an esthetic change.

·
Gear whore
2,922 Posts
Jester666 said:
I doubt there would be any performance difference just from using a braided brake line.
It may be stronger, but I think other than that it's purely an esthetic change.
Supposedly they do not suffer from brake fade at high temperatures.

The biggest thing you will notice is the "feel" is different. A braided line is consistently stiff whereas a stock line can feel really squishy at times.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I can speak from experience going from old stock lines to steel braided brake lines. Pads stayed the same. Yes, the brake peddle feels stiffer. After the initial grab, the brake lever just didn't give quite as much as before.

I'm not sure if you would feel much of a difference if you had pretty new stock lines and switches over to braided lines. But if you go from old worn out brake lines, you'll probably notice a difference in brake lever feel for the better.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
This is really easy to figure out.

Grab your stock lines with one hand and pull in the brake with the other. You can feel the line swell.

Braided lines don't do that so you get more pressure where you need it at the pad.

·
100%GOON
1,908 Posts
I find the pull/feel much stiffer...I like 'em over the stock version.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Not in actual lever effort to stop at a given pace. It's just a feel thing.... unless you can actually pull the lever all the way back until it hits the grip and the bike is not doing a stoppie or locking up the front wheel

Lines make it FEEL better and better pads make it actually stop with less lever effort. When the lines swell you feel that in the system as a sponginess but if you pull with X pressure at the lever then you get X pressure at the calipers even if you need to pull farther due to the lines swelling.

It's the pads that resist brake fade, not the lines. The lines have zip all to do with brake fade. Brake fade is caused by the pads changing their coefficient of friction as the temperature rises. Going to a more heat tolerant brake pad will help avoid this.

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
TeeTee said:
Not in actual lever effort to stop at a given pace. It's just a feel thing.... unless you can actually pull the lever all the way back until it hits the grip and the bike is not doing a stoppie or locking up the front wheel

Lines make it FEEL better and better pads make it actually stop with less lever effort. When the lines swell you feel that in the system as a sponginess but if you pull with X pressure at the lever then you get X pressure at the calipers even if you need to pull farther due to the lines swelling.

It's the pads that resist brake fade, not the lines. The lines have zip all to do with brake fade. Brake fade is caused by the pads changing their coefficient of friction as the temperature rises. Going to a more heat tolerant brake pad will help avoid this.

There we have it...another myth debunked.

D

·
0 Posts
The lines won't necessarily increase braking performance, but they might reduce force required to exert brakes, from what I've seen they make the brake lever a more sensitive on/off switch for the brakes...

·
Member #827
1,505 Posts
The difference in feel is staggering. The added feel can give the rider greater confidence in braking ability so it's definately a worth while modification.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts