BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. A bit of newbie'ish question.

I ride a 2008 Ninja ZX 600 - mainly for commuting and weekend rides, I take it out to Pitt Meadow track days 1-2x year, so I don't really push the bike hard.

Having been doing my own maintenance throughout the years and have 2 questions

1) I have been using full synthetic Motul 10W40 ($23/1L or $85/4L), but noticed at Lordco that Lucas motorcycle full synthetic runs only $12/1L 10W-30 (or about 1/2 the price of Motul).

Given the significant price difference - are there any real differences between Motul - Lucas or any other brand?

Does it matter one is 10W-40 and other is 10W-30?

2) I have used Prestone Xtreme Sport premixed coolant for years. (see attached pic) Lordco tells me today that this product is discontinued.

Would any Prestone coolant (eg for cars) work for bikes? eg Prestone 50/50 for all marks, all models?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Original Pirate Material
1,063 Posts
Car coolant is fine; some tracks require that you cannot have typical anti-freeze when running but given your description of your riding, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

For oil, save your damn money and just get Rotella T6. Available at Canadian Tire, Walmart, etc... Cheap, meets JASO MA, has good zinc and detergents, works well on every bike that I've run. Oftentimes there are sales on the drum but even at full retail, it's like $9/L. Save your money on the fancy stuff, do more frequent changes, and ride more.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I saw that Lucas shat at Lordco. Someone tested it a few years ago and it was the worst of the group he tested. Its online somewhere .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.