BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of 014's now and love the stick. The tire life could be better, blah, blah, blah.
I would love to hear from anyone with 020's, reguarding stick and tire life.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
I've run several on my ageing Viffers, and the current rear looks to be good for close to 14000km with a fair amount of touring, and a few Boundary Bay days. Usually, I expect about 12000km out of a rear 020.

I used to like running an 020 on the back and an 010 (now replaced with the 014) on the front, so I now have an 014 on the front. I've had problems with 020's cupping on the front of my VFR's ('90 and '93), but that may be particular to that year and model of bike. Haven't run 020/014 combo long enough to decide if that's what I'll stick with, but no complaints so far. Grip has certainly been adequate for me when playing at Boundary Bay or riding at a spirited pace on the street. The 'Stones can usually be had fairly cheaply, too.

·
1,768 Posts
I got 24,000km out of my old stock 020's. The Bridgestone rep said that's the most he's ever seen out of an 020 though, so it's probably not too common. I'm on my second set now but only 4,000km or so. Grip is good for me with spirited riding, but I don't push it to the limit and I'm not sure about your riding style.

;D

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I have the 020s and they're great. Excellent longevity, and enough grip for my style of riding.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Reviving this thread.
My bike came stock with 019 front and 012ss rear. I got about 6000km out of the rear and my trip to Oregon pretty much flat spotted the rear. The front has started to cup pretty bad as well. Tire pressure is checked regularly as well.

Looking for more info and opinions on the 020 tires and the 014fr/020rear combo.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I had 014's got about 16k out of the rear. Super sticky never felt them slide or about to slide or anything. Changed over to 020's for better wear. Not sure what the wear will be like but I did feel them slide once but they were somewhat new at the time about 2k on them. Not sure how they will wear cause I have about 5k on them now.

·
Worst. Passenger. Ever.
943 Posts
wow 16k out of the rear? i think i'm at about 10 right now on the 014s and there's almost no tread left in the middle

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
lot's of people run a sticky front and long life rear. The only real difference in the 020 is the rubber is thicker . Profile and handling is basically the same only a pro road racer would notice a difference. On the street for doing long trips it's a great combination. Odds are you won't crash slipping out the rear tire 65% of the riders on BCSB claim to slide the rear threw the corners all the time anyway.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
5thgear said:
lot's of people run a sticky front and long life rear. The only real difference in the 020 is the rubber is thicker . Profile and handling is basically the same only a pro road racer would notice a difference. On the street for doing long trips it's a great combination. Odds are you won't crash slipping out the rear tire 65% of the riders on BCSB claim to slide the rear threw the corners all the time anyway.
I think the compound is different. The 20's feel harder and less sticky to the hand after a ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
psyclone said:
I think the compound is different. The 20's feel harder and less sticky to the hand after a ride.
I find 014's considerably more sticky than 020's. I get 15K out of the front and 10K out of the rear. Will probably try the 20 on the back next time after reading this thread.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
After doing a little more research I may just try the Metzler route. M1 front and Z6 rear.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
psyclone said:
Your right about that but the profile matches up for handling, your always better to have a sticky tire on the front

1 - 13 of 13 Posts