BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1359 Posts

·
backslider
11,214 Posts
Hey - don't laugh - I framed houses for a few years, years ago; then spec-built a bunch; and then sold real estate and did some small land development projects ... and back in the late eighties there were a couple newly arrived East Indian (so called) 'builders' who didn't have a clue what they were doing, and they built houses that looked much like that there shed. For example, a 10 x 10' bedroom in one of their houses would have been four to five inches out of square ...

You can imagine the fun their finishers had, trying to get shit to line up. But ... the building department passed them (I guess they were, more or less, still 'to code' - just way out of whack) ... and ... people actually bought them.

I felt really bad, that people who hadn't a clue bought houses like that from realtors who likely hadn't a clue; and that there weren't any regulations as to who could or could not, pick up a phone and start building spec homes as a general contractor.

And is it any wonder, then, that so many multi-family buildings developed leaky-condo syndromes?

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
Looks good to me. Sure he isnt moving family in there?

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
This should be very entertaining.

Sadly, he's not broken any building codes as yet. As long as he does not pour concrete, he can build whatever he wants without any worries.

Actually, that fence, is that the border to the property? That might be a code violation. Gotta be 4' in some places.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Absolutely awesome DNA. Thank you so much for this!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Don't know if that muni have a maximum dimension for that shed (looks big) but looks like its on farmland so maybe restrictions on size is different.

That's funny! I do admire his "roll up the sleeves and can do" attitude, ...don't rain on his spring wood project! :laughing

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
Shit, I'd rep if I could. Say's I have to spread the love around a bit. Thanks for the laugh! You *really* need to keep us updated!

·
must have more bacon
5,434 Posts
he is obviously crazy like a 3 dollar bill , this is a shrine to you , it is your final resting place , if he invites you over for dinner don't go ,you're the main course

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,237 Posts
DNA, go and talk to the guy, explain what he's doing wrong. If this was a new rider that was clueless on the bike, we'd all be giving advice and suggestions for him to improve - why is this case any different? He's clueless, that much is obvious, and yes, there's an entertainment factor, but the guy is digging his own grave (financial, at a minimum) and it can be avoided with a few easy words, so why hold back? No one was born a builder, just like no one was born a motorcycle rider. We all learn from someone, and we'd all be worse off without help from others. If he ignores the advice, so be it, but at least it was offered. We wouldn't intentionally watch a clueless rider ride into the ditch, would we?

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
DNA, go and talk to the guy, explain what he's doing wrong. If this was a new rider that was clueless on the bike, we'd all be giving advice and suggestions for him to improve - why is this case any different? He's clueless, that much is obvious, and yes, there's an entertainment factor, but the guy is digging his own grave (financial, at a minimum) and it can be avoided with a few easy words, so why hold back? No one was born a builder, just like no one was born a motorcycle rider. We all learn from someone, and we'd all be worse off without help from others. If he ignores the advice, so be it, but at least it was offered.
A most noble conception; However, not possessing equivalent experience from which to speak authoritatively, I will only use socratic suggestion - and even that, must be delicate. Now is not the time to instill him with doubts!

We wouldn't intentionally watch a clueless rider ride into the ditch, would we?
In all likelihood, yes; yes I would. In fact, i would do my best to film the whole thing and put it on youtube.

·
loves them old
144 Posts
DNA, go and talk to the guy, explain what he's doing wrong. If this was a new rider that was clueless on the bike, we'd all be giving advice and suggestions for him to improve - why is this case any different? He's clueless, that much is obvious, and yes, there's an entertainment factor, but the guy is digging his own grave (financial, at a minimum) and it can be avoided with a few easy words, so why hold back? No one was born a builder, just like no one was born a motorcycle rider. We all learn from someone, and we'd all be worse off without help from others. If he ignores the advice, so be it, but at least it was offered. We wouldn't intentionally watch a clueless rider ride into the ditch, would we?
Some sea turtles make it, others get eaten by sea birds.

The shithawks are swarming...

·
Banned
5,231 Posts
Yeah, what can you say? Where do you even start? Burn it and start over? Methinks such a suggestion would be poorly received...

21 - 40 of 1359 Posts