BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend of a friend who lucked out big time when Daytona closed their doors. He was able to pick up an old Honda F2 engine and frame and a whole bunch of miscelaneous parts from them, and with the help of his bike mechanic wiz friend, put together a great working bike, and guess for how much??? Apparently about $500.......
So that got me thinking.... where would I get the parts.....wouldn't it be fun if........who would like to help me on a project bike to play with.......that could then be used for track purposes only........ Would it be possible? Likely?
If anyone knows of a salvage yard or a friend of a friend who has an old out of commission engine that they would like to get rid of, let me know. What better way to get to know bikes than to put together my own???
Couldn't be THAT hard, could it???
Or maybe it's just 3:38am and i'm dreaming ...

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
There's no reason in the world why you can't do the same thing. The only problem is that it will run you a lot more money. For various reasons I didn't bother buying a bunch of stuff from the Daytona close out and now I'm really regreting it.

To walk into a bike wreckers at this point and get the same package will run you about $3000. Supersports, a wrecker out in Langley, quoted me $3500 for a late model salvage bike less plastic. Mind you that was assembled and running. That's why I say $3000 for the parts.

The Daytona prices were only slightly above the scrap metal prices. You're just not going to find another deal with those prices and quantity to choose from again.

Sorry to bust your bubble because it's a fine concept.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Best thing to do. Make friends with a shop that has access to the ICBC auction for bikes. Have them keep an eye out for ya. They just may give it to you for a little above their cost.

Personally I'd love to get a wrecked SV650. But I have no money for a second:( .

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atomlowe said:
Best thing to do. Make friends with a shop that has access to the ICBC auction for bikes. Have them keep an eye out for ya. They just may give it to you for a little above their cost.
Where can I meet these friends?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BMatthews said:
To walk into a bike wreckers at this point and get the same package will run you about $3000. Supersports, a wrecker out in Langley, quoted me $3500 for a late model salvage bike less plastic. Mind you that was assembled and running. That's why I say $3000 for the parts.

The Daytona prices were only slightly above the scrap metal prices. You're just not going to find another deal with those prices and quantity to choose from again.

What do I look under in the yellow pages if I wanna find bike wreckers? And how "late" is a "late model"? I'd probably go for anything '87 and up.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Bluestone said:

Where can I meet these friends?
Where you bought your bike from is a good start. Trevor from BK will be at the dinner tonight. Just go in to a dealer and talk with them. Just bring it up with the dealer that your looking for a salvage bike (ie. F2/F3 with fairing damage). If you tell them what your looking for, they may just help you out. Its a little early yet to do this. Wait until May, there's usually quite a few bikes that get wrecked early in the season, but not usually this early.

You can find bike wreckers under "Motorcycle Parts" in the yellow pages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts