BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, so i am about to go out and try to do my mst on a hayabusa since its the only bike i have :S My brother has done his mst (not on a busa, he got a bike of a friend) he told me it would be quite difficult on a busa so i was wondering what everyone else thought... Thanks ;)

Also as a side note, my dad thought maybe there would be someone there renting some crpy dualsports that would get the job done for the test, because thats how it was when he took his... although that was many years ago :p any thoughts on that or would anyone who has been there know?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mst on my hayabusa

Hey, so i am about to go out and try to do my mst on a hayabusa since its the only bike i have :S My brother has done his mst (not on a busa, he got a bike of a friend) he told me it would be quite difficult on a busa so i was wondering what everyone else thought... Thanks

Also as a side note, my dad thought maybe there would be someone there renting some crpy dualsports that would get the job done for the test, because thats how it was when he took his... although that was many years ago :p any thoughts on that or would anyone who has been there know?

Posted this on another forum topic as-well b4 i saw this forum topic sorry o_O

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
If you can ride the bike in a civilized manner you'll do just fine. Just make sure you get some practice in before the test. Find a deserted parking lot.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
If you can't do it on the bike you are going to ride, then i strongly suggest not riding that bike.
If you practice for a bit, it will be a breeze.

·
User, Registered
142 Posts
If you're going to be riding a particular bike regularly (such as the busa), you should be competent enough on that bike to do the MST maneuvers or you have no business riding it. Harsh words, I know. But that's the point of the MST afterall, isnt it: to gauge whether your skills are sufficient enough to be let loose on the road and on the rest of us. Take it to an empty parking lot and start practicing.
:rider

·
No soup for you!
646 Posts
Whether you can do it or not is down to you. If you have the skills, the MST is a breeze on any bike--if not, you'll fail.

Practice a lot before going to ensure your skills are up to the task

Practice alot. Set up your own course with some makeshift cones. I like to use 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water.

Cone spacing for the slalom should be 1.5 times your bike length, and the u-turn will be the turning radius of your bike at full lock+about 2 feet. You have to do it without putting your foot down. Emergency stop will be about 30kph while making the stop about 10 feet from the marker and NOT going past it or skidding your tires. After you stop you must leave your foot on the back brake and only put your left foot down.

Do that course about 50 times untill you can get it right. Then move the cones a bit closer to make it even more challenging. Then do that untill its good. Then go do your mst:laughing

Thats how i trained my girlfriend who had never ridden before in her life, or driven a car, and she passed it with flying colors.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Funny thing is.....

I just happened to meet someone in a ride yesterday that did use the busa for the MST... LOL... passed no problem. Did his road test too on it!!

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
Practice makes perfect.....

Take a look at this document:

http://www.dtcbc.com/docs/pdf/dtc318.pdf

Start on page #27, and set up a test run on your own, use pop cans or something to simulate cones.....see if you can do the test....if not, practice until you can.

Being prepared is all this is about, and this will arm you with the knowledge to do so, good luck.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Can you run a marathon in basketball shoes?
not a marathon, but i did my first (and so far only) sunrun in casual rebook shoes in 2004. :coffee

·
Is it winter yet ?
806 Posts
I did mine on an old katana 750 .. not a busa but its still pretty heavy and has a huge turn radius...

I setup the course as per that manual in a parking lot. did it a couple of times and did the mst.. It was easy as pie.

I honestly think it gets easier if your bike doesn't have a very good turn radius. My U turns and slaloms were almost too easy.

·
+1
2,281 Posts
Real question is if they'll need you to shift into second for the high speed corner/brake :)

There's a sticky in the new rider's forum to a sub-thread that has all the information about the MST.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts