BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you guys avoid all the stuff they make you pay when the package crosses the border?

im buying a book from ebay, they are probably going to double my cost at the border.

i know someone was saying something about sending it to a place just across the border...can someone expand on that please?

any other tips?


Thanks!

-D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
I have a friend in bellingham that I get all my stuff shipped to.

but if you dont have that luxury, you can rent mailboxes (mailbox etc. is close to the border I think), then get it shipped there and go down and pick it up.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I use the letter carrier and they are awesome! all you have to do is have the shipper put your name and phone number above the letter carriers address and they will call you when it arrives. I had someone ship me something from colorado. they called me, I went to pick it up and it only came to $3 or so. check out their website. this all depends if you want to risk taking it accross the border, otherwise you could try and get the shipper to put "sample" on the little green customs decal when they send it over. also, use post if possible, couriers will charge brokerage.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
bender said:
I use the letter carrier and they are awesome! all you have to do is have the shipper put your name and phone number above the letter carriers address and they will call you when it arrives. I had someone ship me something from colorado. they called me, I went to pick it up and it only came to $3 or so. check out their website. this all depends if you want to risk taking it accross the border, otherwise you could try and get the shipper to put "sample" on the little green customs decal when they send it over. also, use post if possible, couriers will charge brokerage.

ok, so im gonna go to point roberts with my backpack on the bike... the people at border are probably gonna ask me what im planning on doing there. any suggestions on what im to say?
thanks

ps: oh yeah im picking up a buncha books. 3 to be precise. Im saving about 20 bucks on shipping because pointrobers is "states" and im guessing that im saving on duty too.

-d
 

·
Just Another Enthusiast
Joined
·
2,051 Posts
Miteorite said:



ok, so im gonna go to point roberts with my backpack on the bike... the people at border are probably gonna ask me what im planning on doing there. any suggestions on what im to say?
thanks
-d
That is easy--LIE. When I am coming back from Blaine with motorcycle stuff (I once had a pipe and Corbin seat in my backpack) I say I was down for 3 days, even if I just crossed the border 15 minutes ago!

If you stay 48 hours in the US, you are allowed to bring $200 back without paying taxes or duty. Most times they just say OK and you are on your way. On the rare occassion they pull me over, I go inside and look at what I am bringing. I tell them how much I paid for them and where, I have no receipts (only because I lie about the price to get under the $200 limit) and I am on my way again after a 5 mintue delay. :)

Super easy, I remember bringing my Scott's damper across (value ~ $400 US) and getting ready to do the usual (see above) but did not have to as one of best friends g/f was working the booth. Those are the REAL easy times. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
I always use the letter carrier in point roberts. When you go across tell them you are going to get gas and going to the bank. If you have a car and the stuff is in the car you tell them you didnt buy anything over there and if they ask what it is that is in your car you say you took it down with you. They are very slacker down there so there isnt much to worry about.

Brad
97vfr
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's just a buncha books. i doubt im gonna have too much of a problem.

:D thanks guys. :thumbup
 

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
Ooh, yah! Not paying duty on books makes you a real bad-ass biker dude! :gun :court

Haha! I checked the customs tariff and books have no duty! :imwithstu :roflmao
 

·
Just Another Enthusiast
Joined
·
2,051 Posts
Bling Bling said:


Haha! I checked the customs tariff and books have no duty! :imwithstu :roflmao
Neither do motorcycle accessories, but you still pay taxes and if it is shipped across you will still pay handling fees through the courier service you use.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bling Bling said:
Ooh, yah! Not paying duty on books makes you a real bad-ass biker dude! :gun :court

Haha! I checked the customs tariff and books have no duty! :imwithstu :roflmao
sweet! :D thanks mang.

so if i tell them that im bringing "merchandise" over, they are not gonna shoot me on sight? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,489 Posts
Just tell them you were down buying gas, and mix in some school books with them and you won't have a problem.

I use TSB shipping in Point Roberts, I use to use the letter carrier, but switched a couple of years ago.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top