BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there's any way to check what condition the engine and the body is in. Like a pre-buy inspection.

·
126 Posts
I think you could take it to a shop. I got two of my friends to look at the bike I bought. They supposedly knew a lot about bikes. Well I found out that they don't know all they said they do. Anyways, just get it looked over carefully and take a course (ie the BCIT part-time motorcycle mechanics course) so you know more about it yourself.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't think BCIT offers that course
do you have more information on it?

·
126 Posts
I just finished it last week. It's pretty basic stuff, but it was really good. It was $214, and worth every penny and even more. THe last day you can bring your bike in and work on it. Everything is so much easier with a lift. The instructor (Lawrence) was awesome and really knew his stuff. I had a blast. It's under the code MCMX, I think it's 1115. Not sure. Well worth it. I just wish they'd offer a follow up course.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Yeah, you can take it to the shop of your choice, get it checked out by a professional, and you'll be much better off. Especially if this is your first bike, and (I'm assuming) you don't know too much about motorcycles. If the seller says, I've always had it serviced at "so-and-so" then take it back to that shop. THey likely know the bike's history fairly well...and if they are a reputable shop, they will give an hoest run down on the condition of the bike. It will probably cost you about$60 or so. I remember when I was first buying, I was looking at an old GSX-R, and I took it to North Shore Suzuki to get it checked out. I'm glad I did, when I went back to see what they had to say, the guy pulled out a list of stuff that needed attention, a full page long. :rolleyes Had I bought that bike on just what I thought about it, I would have been stuck with a $1500 repair bill, on a $3000 bike.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what if I was buying it from a used car dealership? they should still let me take it to a shop right?

·
California dreamin'
2,440 Posts
Regul8r said:
what if I was buying it from a used car dealership? they should still let me take it to a shop right?
They should. I was looking for a bike and the seller (either private or a dealer) wouldn't let me take it to a shop to get checked out I would forget about that particular bike and look elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
KatRider said:

They should. I was looking for a bike and the seller (either private or a dealer) wouldn't let me take it to a shop to get checked out I would forget about that particular bike and look elsewhere.
Yeah, if they're not allowing you to get a professional to take a look at it, that should be huge warning signal that something is fishy about that bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts