BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
*thick german (accent)*
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the scenario:
I'm westbound on 12th ave (April 15th appox. 16:00) between Main and Kingsway. There were 2 cars in front of me, at the light at Sophia st. When the light turned green, the car in pole position, didn't budge. I gave it a good 5 count (for engine stall etc) then gave a little horn which made the drivers head jerk up and begin to enter the intersection. After switching lanes I was beside said vehicle (Toyota Matrix Lic. plt. 37* MC*) again the driver head was down but I could see the blackberry. Again I honked and made the motion of taking the phone off the ear and placing it on the receiver. To this I was returned "the finger" with "F-U" mouth movements - Classy. I don't expect anyone to think like me, but c'omon......

Now since I have absolutely no authority, I had to just ride on (of course I returned the favour), angry but out of fear for my life!

Here's the rant:
It is illegal to steal so if I see someone doing it and I can intervene it is my civic duty to do so, is it not?

It is now well past the "grace" period and I see just as many drivers on cell phones as any other time. And the manoeuvres (manouvers, US) that I see scare the crap outta me.

basically "You are doing something illegal, I'm asking you kindly to stop, you respond with hostility and "the finger""

Here's the question:
How many cell phone related accidents/deaths/police enforcement will it take until the general public will understand that this is serious?
Is there anything we could/should not do?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Are you serious?

Maybe just worry about yourself. Statistically, you're much more likely to be at fault in an accident on your bike than a "cager" on a cell phone.

Ask yourself an honest question. Do you closely follow the speed limits? More likely than not you exceed them from time to time. Speed is far more likely to be a factor in a bike accident than a cell phone but I bet you don't want every driver in a car to be lecturing you about speed at every intersection.

Live and let live.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,308 Posts
so if I see someone doing it and I can intervene it is my civic duty to do so, is it not?
Depends... how much do you like dealing with lawsuits?

Yeah, the dude with the BlackBerry is an asshole, but I betcha there were 10 more around you. You can't "cure" them all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Are you serious?

Maybe just worry about yourself. Statistically, you're much more likely to be at fault in an accident on your bike than a "cager" on a cell phone.

Ask yourself an honest question. Do you closely follow the speed limits? More likely than not you exceed them from time to time. Speed is far more likely to be a factor in a bike accident than a cell phone but I bet you don't want every driver in a car to be lecturing you about speed at every intersection.

Live and let live.
You're deflecting!

·
*thick german (accent)*
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ANYWAYS!!! Back to the "ask the officer" part.
Obviously I'm not looking to be a traffic vigilante, I understand that, that isn't going to solve anything. I could've totally pulled the driver out of the car and beaten them to within an inch of their lives. But that would solve nothing.

The question rephrased is "Will this law go unabided?. Will it just be overlooked, is it ok for people in cars to not have to pay attention to the road?"

P.S. from now on - if anyone ever says "Statistically, satistics prove, numbers would indicate" et al, please provide them, so ur not just billowing hot useless air into a serious question.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
ANYWAYS!!! Back to the "ask the officer" part.
Obviously I'm not looking to be a traffic vigilante, I understand that, that isn't going to solve anything. I could've totally pulled the driver out of the car and beaten them to within an inch of their lives. But that would solve nothing.
You might also get beaten up, run over, charged or whatever else. It's not worth it one little bit.

As for the crash statistics, they've been posted on this board multiple times now. I'm not going to quote them again if you're really interested you'll have a look. Your ignorance on a given subject doesn't deminish that subject I'm afraid.

·
level 1 'Tard
529 Posts
I completely understand both sides of this situation. Lets add to it. I've personally been given written warnings for speeding while stopped to refuel based on a "concerned" citizen looking out for my well being and phoning it in. were they right? I'll give you half.

Now what is the police response if i phone in vehicle and license of said blackberry user or such?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
there needs to be clear direction from the police, icbc and the courts that this law is serious.

total denial of insurance coverage if in an accident and your cell is being used with out a headset would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
there needs to be clear direction from the police, icbc and the courts that this law is serious.

total denial of insurance coverage if in an accident and your cell is being used with out a headset would be a good place to start.
Same thing for being in an accident when you're speeding, right?

·
*thick german (accent)*
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Ya, was already thinking bout that, if they could get a time on the crash and if the person(s) cell phone records state a connection during that time, and they can`t pull a handsfree from the crash.

·
Not wearing pants.
3,387 Posts
ICBC and crash scene analysts already do that. The law is taken seriously, many tickets have been and will be issued for it. Like Warchild says, however, use of a non-handsfree cellphone while driving is no more illegal than speeding, so unless you can honestly say you abide by all the rules in the MVA, you subject yourself to the same hypocritical vigilantism - would you want people in cars ahead of you slamming on the brakes and blocking you when you come up behind them doing 20 over the limit? Or how about opening their car doors to clothsline you when you're lanesplitting?

·
*thick german (accent)*
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ICBC and crash scene analysts already do that. The law is taken seriously, many tickets have been and will be issued for it. Like Warchild says, however, use of a non-handsfree cellphone while driving is no more illegal than speeding, so unless you can honestly say you abide by all the rules in the MVA, you subject yourself to the same hypocritical vigilantism - would you want people in cars ahead of you slamming on the brakes and blocking you when you come up behind them doing 20 over the limit? Or how about opening their car doors to clothsline you when you're lanesplitting?
Yes, Yes, Yes, of course none of us would want to be cut off or anything else to endanger our lives to be taught a lesson. When did I ever say I wanted that for cell phone users?????

I SAID I DID NOT want to be a vigilante - NOT WANT TO!!
Did I forget to mention that I know I have absolutely no authority? I'm pretty freaking sure I did.

I don't do anything other than ask/indicate for them to put it away - ASK
(most ppl do without hesitation and some even have the "you got me" look and smile)

I don't kick doors or anything stupid - I DO NOT

and as far as speeding I cannot deny that I do, but my full awareness is on the road, conditions, possible upcoming hazards etc etc etc! I assume no one has any driving skills, and act accordingly. In any case - My eyes are on the road and the world around not on the palm of my hand.

What urks me is the lack of attention to the road cell phone use causes. That and getting "the finger" for asking someone to be safe.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Undercover bikers.
That would be sweet. Imagine all the infractions they'll catch people doing...

Oh that reminds me I had a bmw lane split me... I was riding along and the road had a bike lane and the car went faster just to pass me on the right side to get ahead of me... I was like WTF :rtfm oh plus driver was talking on a cellphone :rolleyes These cellphone drivers obviously don't care for the law.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
be awesome to have a cell phone jammer installed on a switch! as they go by flick it and watch them lose the call! then follow them just to piss them off!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

Ya that would help, the person you hit now has no one to sue or pay for their damages! But i think it ouuld be a good idea though to cover all liability claim up to the limits, but deny coverage for the persons vehicle. If its a write off or has $10,000 damage too bad! That may teach the person without negatively affecting the innocent third party.

·
The real Batman
147 Posts
Here's a funny story, as well as a Q for the LEOs. The other day I saw an RCMP officer driving a marked SUV and talking on a cell phone. No it was not his radio, and no he was not on a headset. It was a cellphone he was holding in his hand. What a way to uphold the law!!! My lane was quicker, and I didn't catch his plates (or squad car #), so naturally, I slowed my entire lane down for a bit until he caught up, took down his number and am looking to file a formal complaint - LEOs, where do I do this?

Thanks

·
Moto Compulsive
223 Posts
Here's a funny story, as well as a Q for the LEOs. The other day I saw an RCMP officer driving a marked SUV and talking on a cell phone. No it was not his radio, and no he was not on a headset. It was a cellphone he was holding in his hand. What a way to uphold the law!!! My lane was quicker, and I didn't catch his plates (or squad car #), so naturally, I slowed my entire lane down for a bit until he caught up, took down his number and am looking to file a formal complaint - LEOs, where do I do this?

Thanks
I don't know about BC but in Ontario, Police are exempt from the handheld devices ban. Same with all emergency vehicle operators (including tow truck drivers).

Since the law was passed out here, the number of regular drivers on the phone has dropped considerably... only half of them do it now. :rolleyes

1 - 20 of 60 Posts