BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey — has anyone done the California Superbike School and what did you think? I am a fairly new rider and have taken a basic riding course, but want to do something track-oriented to increase my confidence, speed and skills specifically for road riding.

There's a BIG difference in price from the CSS vs. Local track courses... is it worth it to spend the extra $1500 on CSS?

Thanks!

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
Hey — has anyone done the California Superbike School and what did you think? I am a fairly new rider and have taken a basic riding course, but want to do something track-oriented to increase my confidence, speed and skills specifically for road riding.

There's a BIG difference in price from the CSS vs. Local track courses... is it worth it to spend the extra $1500 on CSS?

Thanks!
IMO, if you are a new rider, then take a local course from West Coast Superbike School - I recommend the Advanced Rider Training (ART). Once you get more seat time and experience, then sure, spend the extra dough and take a course somewhere else. I have taken both the ART and Racer training with WCSS, and did a season of racing at Mission - all great experiences and invaluable for road riding.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,459 Posts
welcome to the site.
I would recommend the ART course through either PRS or West Coast superbike. Same course.
If you did your lessons through PRS, they are going to California for a course using ninja 250's.

·
H2O Turbo Fitness
91 Posts
Cali Superbike uses BMW S1000RRs, and you must use their bike and cannot use your own - that's why it's a higher price. I'd LOVE to do it (now in my 7th year riding), but am determined to rip my SV650S first before I spend that kind of money getting used to a 'new-to-me' bike on the track. Go with West Coast Superbike or ART first before investing in CSS. My 2c.

·
NOOOOOB
2,631 Posts
I think it was closer to $2000 at CSc

That's alot of hookers and blow.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Thanks!
I've been a coach with CSS for the past 8 years so if you have any specific questions about it please PM me, or ask here and I'll do my best to answer :)

Cali Superbike uses BMW S1000RRs, and you must use their bike and cannot use your own - that's why it's a higher price. I'd LOVE to do it (now in my 7th year riding), but am determined to rip my SV650S first before I spend that kind of money getting used to a 'new-to-me' bike on the track. Go with West Coast Superbike or ART first before investing in CSS. My 2c.
This is not entirely true. Yes CSS uses BMW S1000RR's but you do not have to use their bikes unless you are doing the 2-day camp format. For the 2 day camps you must use the school bikes but we also run single day camps where you can use your own bike and those days are cheaper than the 2 day camps. On a single day you get 5 riding sessions of at least 20 mins each, coach to student ratio of 1:3 students max and the chance to ride one of the off track training bikes. A good way of doing the school is to do two single days in a row if you are set on using your own bike.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers!

Misti

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've been a coach with CSS for the past 8 years so if you have any specific questions about it please PM me, or ask here and I'll do my best to answer :)

This is not entirely true. Yes CSS uses BMW S1000RR's but you do not have to use their bikes unless you are doing the 2-day camp format. For the 2 day camps you must use the school bikes but we also run single day camps where you can use your own bike and those days are cheaper than the 2 day camps. On a single day you get 5 riding sessions of at least 20 mins each, coach to student ratio of 1:3 students max and the chance to ride one of the off track training bikes. A good way of doing the school is to do two single days in a row if you are set on using your own bike.

Misti
Good info thanks! It's been on my mind for a bit now. Maybe this yr!

·
H2O Turbo Fitness
91 Posts

Misti
That's stellar!! Thanks for that clarification, Misti :) Hopefully I can get to a track that's running a 1-day'er one year, tho I def want to try out the 2-day at The Ridge on the S1000RR! :rockon (this year it's July 16-17 for those interested)

·
n00b
704 Posts
Consider Fast Riding School in Shannonville Ontario. http://www.fastridingschool.com

I had a great time there. If you're going to travel, you may as well give them a shot and they're very reasonably priced. they do sell out quickly for the year though.

edit: ART is a great school from all I've read (and mentioned above too). So locally, give them a try. I'll hopefully make it out myself this year.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Especially if you're going for road riding confidence, I would save the $1500 bones and do the racer training module or ART. They will teach you all of the fundamentals. If you were interested in track days at the bigger tracks down south, I could definitely see the value in learning with CSS but WCSS will teach you more than you'll be able to put together in a weekend and you'll have the better part of 2k left over for track days and bike mods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts