BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, well my buddy and I opened up my bike and re-did my timing chain as it was really starting to sound like a rattle snake (around 34,000kms). Everything went smoothly, we redid the tensioner as well, and the cogs looked to be in really good shape still, so there was no need replacing them.

When we popped it all back together, we decided to go with sythetic oil, but now when I crank it up, there is a lot of complaining from the chain for a couple minutes. Is this just cause of the new oil type (less stays in the chain when it sits?)? It runs great, no problems with the timing itself that I can see.

Also, if any one has an f2, we think we ran the choke cable the wrong way hooking it back up as it barely does a thing any more. Any one know the proper route for this? hayes manuals aren't that great and I wasn't around when my buddy took it all apart.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
My track bike complains a little too. But in my case I think my shoe may be getting worn. The tensioner is oil pressure activated so I don't see that there's anything to be done there other than open a gallery and check to see that the oil pressure is up to spec as per the manual.... I'm assuming there's a check for that at least. Haven't looked at it myself yet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, i think there is a check for that...just not sure if the haynes manual covers it, need to dig through it. I think for now I am just going to have to let it take its time warming up, it may just be a matter of tuning my ears to the sounds of the new chain/oil compared to the old (as it goes away once lubracated). Great bikes though. Now I just have to do a new chain/cog set and front wheel bearing to get rid of that small huricane brewing ahead of me.

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
I own a 94 cbr600 as well and when it's cold the cam chain makes a lot of noise. Once it warms up though there is enough oil pressure and there's no noise at all. I think it's just because the chain is stretched a little and the tensioner plunger has to go all the way out to tension the chain. A new chain would fix the problem or just slap on a manual tensioner with the same effect for way cheaper. It is a 12 year old bike after all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I replaced my cam chain and tensioner on my 94 F2 I had the nasty cam chain slap occur only when my bike was warm... I dug up some info suggesting that the tensioner was defecive and sure enough I swaped in another new one and presto problem fixed. FYI-- I run full synthetic and had no cam chain noise with cold engine for the first 8000 km since rebuild- its starting to slap a bit now and next season going for the manual tensioner instead of the oem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts