BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Yellow Power Ranger
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a Camcorder. I want one that I can take videos and transfer them onto my computer and have them as an mpg and/or avi format. Which type of Camcorder can I buy that will do this. Is it easy? I bought a DV Camcorder a few months back and I couldnt figure out how to do it, so I took it back. Anyone know anything about Camcorders?

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
"MiniDV" camcorders that record onto tape usually require that you transfer the video onto your computer using some sort of Video capture or editing software via a USB or firewire cable. The video usually gets transferred as raw avi which runs you at 12 Gigabytes per hour of video. If you are a video purist and want to maintain the most quality digitally, this is one way to go.

If you're not concerned too much about small changes in resolution, you can try one of the external USB devices out there that you can just plug any video source into and it will capture and convert directly to MPEG4 format, which is a highly compressed video. Costco has one of these devices reasonably priced.

Better yet, you can buy a video camera that records directly as MPEG4 format either to a built-in hardrive or a memory card. When you plug these into your computer's USB port, they should appear as a drive that you can just copy and paste the compressed movie files from.

Check the JVC GZ-MG30
or the Samsung SC-X105L which has been discussed in prior threads.

M

·
0 Posts
size is also a good question. canon has some amazing older (like a year) models that are totally kickass, but theyre not your palm camera like you see in many stores.

·
GoPro Inspector
4,422 Posts
go to future shop and get a minidv canon or sony for 600bux and u'll be flyin'. They are compact and the image quality is great.

·
Yellow Power Ranger
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will pic up another DV camcorder and get a firewire then try that out. From what you guys tell me, I can use a firewire to transfer movies from a DV camcorder onto my computer.

PS-I have a 5mp Canon digital camera which takes videos, but its no where near as good quality as a normal camcorder.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Furious Fiero said:
I think I will pic up another DV camcorder and get a firewire then try that out. From what you guys tell me, I can use a firewire to transfer movies from a DV camcorder onto my computer.

PS-I have a 5mp Canon digital camera which takes videos, but its no where near as good quality as a normal camcorder.

Are you planning on making your own home made "smut"??? If so check out http://www.avn.com for great ideas!!!

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
kuldip said:
Poor Coolio, no one helped him like this lol
no kidding, eh?
that guy could post about anything and all he gets is flack.
anyone else posts up the same question and all sorts of serious and useful answers get posted. :court

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Phil, check out A&B sound!

I just saw an ad for a Hitachi brand or something camcorder for $700 or $600!!!! ANd it is a hard-drive camcorder, 20GB!!!!!!

·
Test Pilot
95 Posts
coolio said:
Phil, check out A&B sound!

I just saw an ad for a Hitachi brand or something camcorder for $700 or $600!!!! ANd it is a hard-drive camcorder, 20GB!!!!!!

Check out my post above.......That harddrive camcorder rates pretty low!

Just my :2cents

1 - 14 of 14 Posts