BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Get outta the fast lane!!
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title questions asks.... can you convert a 2-stroke dirtbike to dual-sport street legal with lighting kit, headlight, tail light, signals, mirrors, etc?

Or... is it impossible, given troubles with motor vehicle branch?

Just curious.... really no solid info on the internet on the subject.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
You can and no matter what route count on spending around $1000. i HAD A 1996 cr 250 streetlegal. I think I rode it on the street about 5 times in a 2 year ownership. Dirt knobbies suck ass on the road and mixing fuel getting about 10mpg wasn't much fun either.That and 2 stroke dirtbikes were never designed to be held wide open or at a steady throttle for more than 7 second bursts.

A few guys on here have motarded there 2 strokes but the best thing is buy a dualsport and have a dirtbike.

·
Addicted to speed
237 Posts
2 stroke

yeah i have a 72' Suzuki Trail 90 2-stroke that used to be street legal, but but many a bail riding the trails has put an end to the lights and blinkers.

·
Motard Central
881 Posts
Does the bear shit in the woods?

You can do whatever it is you want, just need money...

If it's a on/off your looking for, there are a few bikes available on the market that are allready to go ie; 89/96 DTR's (200cc) or Susuki TS 200. In my opinion, great dual sport bikes.

If your building one yourself, be prepared for big bullshit sessions. If that's the case, do all the work you can and then take it to a shop like 5th gear and let them do an inspection on it otherwise its a big hit and miss deal. There are also a couple MX 2-strokes available for sale in town allready registerd and all decked out ready to rip, both in 250 and 500cc !!! :thumbup

S

·
0 Posts
Dirt to street conversions have been done countless times. It involves quite a good amount of work.
Take the short cut; buy the finished product. :band
Carter Coquitlam has a br.new '03 KTM exc200 two-stroke w/street equipment. $8,500 sale price.

·
Registered
344 Posts
A 500cc 2-stroke MX?? I don't doubt such a thing exists, but holy crap!

FastbyFerreira said:
You can do whatever it is you want, just need money...

If it's a on/off your looking for, there are a few bikes available on the market that are allready to go ie; 89/96 DTR's (200cc) or Susuki TS 200. In my opinion, great dual sport bikes.

If your building one yourself, be prepared for big bullshit sessions. If that's the case, do all the work you can and then take it to a shop like 5th gear and let them do an inspection on it otherwise its a big hit and miss deal. There are also a couple MX 2-strokes available for sale in town allready registerd and all decked out ready to rip, both in 250 and 500cc !!! :thumbup

·
Registered
330 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
for all motorcross bikes, including two stroke or fours like yzf/crf, you need to get a different stator coil before being able to run a baja kit for the road. Make sure you factor in about 250-300 for this. Dirt bike on the road... sounds like I would be gettting into some trouble...

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
It's funny how two strokes are coming back in the minds of a few Motarded individuals. Having ridden John Parkers Motard CR 500 a few years ago at Tradex I can tell you this. Crazy, crazy, crazy fast and a highside of NASA proportions just waiting to happen.

After my far to short of a ride I had to take a few days to talk myself out of building one. (Still have that ride etched in my cranium too this day!)

My advise for anyone thinking of going this route. Get one and go mental. Bones will heal but you'll be mentally scared for life. And in my world that's a good thing. Two Strokes forever!

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
or buy the crf/x or wr models.they have the stators and setup for it.

addicted said:
for all motorcross bikes, including two stroke or fours like yzf/crf, you need to get a different stator coil before being able to run a baja kit for the road. Make sure you factor in about 250-300 for this. Dirt bike on the road... sounds like I would be gettting into some trouble...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Evan better buy j1k s motard it is already done and super clean. plus it has all the registration work done to. doesnt get much simpler

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can and no matter what route count on spending around $1000. i HAD A 1996 cr 250 streetlegal. I think I rode it on the street about 5 times in a 2 year ownership. Dirt knobbies suck ass on the road and mixing fuel getting about 10mpg wasn't much fun either.That and 2 stroke dirtbikes were never designed to be held wide open or at a steady throttle for more than 7 second bursts.

A few guys on here have motarded there 2 strokes but the best thing is buy a dualsport and have a dirtbike.

is it possible to make a 1996 Yamaha wr250z dirtbike street legal if it isnt already?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts