BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
I get hung up on the three wheel tracking vs obstacles/debris on the road. I wouldn't mind giving one a rip but I don't see myself owning one.**

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sat on one Saturday. Go cart on steroids. Very low to the ground so avoiding debris and speedbumps imperative. Would it be fun for short rips? Most likely.

It could have the shittiest seat ever considering the cruiser type positioning. My boney ass hurt just looking at it.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I've spent about 10 minutes ripping around on a Ryker. It was super fun. I'd never buy one, but i can understand the appeal. It was a bit difficult to get it to drift, but could be done. I'm not sure what the big concern with road obstacles is, as one of the great things about having two independently suspended front wheels, is that they can each track independently ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
The hang-up I see is having three separate tire paths down the road so the rear runs in the oil slick centre the whole time? Maybe that would help with drifting? Even a car only has to avoid road obstacles with two wheel paths, I'm talking debris or potholes or whatever. Adding a third wheel path seems three times worse than a motorcycle for avoidance and one and half times worse than a car. I'm not sure how the independently sprung front end negates that?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You could argue the exact opposite to be true. A motorcycles biggest weakness/flaw is it's single wheel path. So maybe have more creates more opportunity for good traction when its lost on the others.... :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
My concern isn't traction, it's obstacle avoidance. As well as having the drive tire running in the oil/debris path most of the time. It's kind of a moot point as I don't ever see myself riding such a contraption. But it's what springs to mind whenever I see the odd one rolling around. I do know a fellow that has had a spyder for a number of years now. I haven't bumped into him in ages though. I know he really likes it. I'd be curious to hear his take on my three wheeled/path concerns.

·
Original Pirate Material
1,063 Posts
Anyone ridden one of these things? I can't wrap my head around Spyders but these ryker rigs are interesting. Kinda sporty and cvt drives are cool and fun.

Can-Am Ryker 3-Wheeler | Can-Am On-Road CA | Can-Am On-Road CA
I had some time riding on the Ryker (both displacements), the Spyder F3 model, and the touring spyder model up to squambucks and back. They're fun, but I wouldn't own one.

Driving dynamics are different than a motorcycle, obviously, and there is a lot of front grip which can be both good and bad. The grip tends to lead to tramlining and the trike likes to follow road imperfections, more-so on the Ryker models. This can be tiring, and it also takes a bit more push and body english to hustle these things around corners quickly. Additionally, they're tuned for safety and so even with the front grip, there is a tendency for these things to push and understeer - can obviously be addressed on the larger models with throttle, but this should be a consideration. You sit low to the ground and I dragged a boot when it slipped off a peg when I hit a 'bump' at speed - shouldn't typically be an issue if you're not an idiot.

Power wise, the 900 Ryker and Spyder F3 were fun with the smaller Ryker and touring model being a bit gutless, IMHO. The Rykers aren't as refined as the Spyders, and tend to provide a grainier engine feel than the triple in the Spyders. That said, with less weight, the Rykers squirt pretty nice from stop to stop. Respective to the Spyder's, I think the models have similar triples, but I felt the F3 model was much more powerful. It had a lovely linear and torquey powerband that was very easy to modulate for slides, sounded a peach too.

Spyder models are flappy paddle, and it's ok - shifting speed is like earlier generation tiptronic cars IIRC - good enough.The Ryker's are CVT and is probably the best CVT I've ever used - super quick engagement and barely discernible 'rubberband' transmission feeling. The 900 Ryker is quick; probably close to the F3 in an 1/8th drag as it hooks up easier than the F3. The TC cannot be turned off on the Rykers which is unfortunate, as I feel this would facilitate drifting and powerslides.

As mentioned by bartender, it's fun but I wouldn't own one either. Very niche product and given the size and price, I'd much rather buy a miata.... or an electric motorcycle, given range and usage will probably be similar. Ripping powerslides with the F3 Spyder was fun though - lovely triple with gobs of torque, and the chassis was much better damped than the ryker models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts