BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

can anyone help tap a hole or weld a nut?

470 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TeeTee 
#1 ·
does anyone have a tap set?

or can weld a nut for me?

need to fix an oil drain plug hole. I'm pulling the pan off on satuday

thanks

#4 ·
That's fine if you want to chase it but if they are chewed out then you need a new bolt to go in there. I'd suggest going to the next size up bolt in a fine thread.

For a 17 mm socket head I suspect it's a 10mm screw or maybe 12 at most. The 10 leaves a decent area under the cap for a sealing surface and 12 would be OK but minimal. If it's a 10 mm then it's time to drill and tap out to a 1/2-20. If it's 12 mm then you're looking for 9/16-18. These are both the unf threads and not the unc coarse ones. If it's metric then you want whatever is 2 mm up from what is chewed out now. Of course then you need to buy your own taps becuase I've only got the imperial ones....:D PM me for a visit tomorrow if you want to drop by. I'll be around for most of the day other than for taking my Z over to Borderline to show it off and get a free hotdog... :D Oh, and you'll need to pick up the fine pitch short bolt from Home Despot or similar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.