BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Linguistic Ninja
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a f4i because it's so pretty and fast looking. That'll get me all the girls right? ok ok I kid i kid.

Actually..... i search beginner bike.. under 500cc seems to be the general recommendation so i stick to that. I'm going to be checking out dealers tomorrow.. and i've whored up craigslist, the buy and sell and the forums here.. but nothing really caught my eye... are there any other places i should be looking that i haven't already looked at?

second question: i'm sure i'll find out tomorrow when i do my shopping as well, but how snug should helmets be fitted? i wear glasses so i'm still trying to figure out how that is gonna all work... but we shall see.

ok i think that's it for questions for now.. but i'll have more later

J

·
0 Posts
Consider taking a course also

Hi There,

Another point to consider is taking a Motorcycle Safety Course. There's a couple of great schools around the lower mainland that offer these courses.

Pacific Riding School
Action
BCSC

To name a few.

Cheers :coffee

·
Registered
371 Posts
You can do whatever you want. But is it recommended ... no, that seems to be the collective wisdom here.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
DaFonz said:
second question: i'm sure i'll find out tomorrow when i do my shopping as well, but how snug should helmets be fitted? i wear glasses so i'm still trying to figure out how that is gonna all work... but we shall see.
Helmets should be snug enough that your scalp moves when you move your helmet. There should be no pressure points felt in any particular point on your head. Helmets fits tight and tend to feel looser after the foam breaks in.

As for glasses, some come with a groove for the arms. Many helmets have removable liners for washing these days. If you have to, you can remove the liner and make your own groove by sewing a seam in to create a groove for the arms of your eyeglasses.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The biggest factor in the equation is YOU. If you take a rider training course, take it slow, take the time to learn to ride WELL before riding fast, and respect the bike then starting on an F4i will be ok. BUT, if you are like the majority of young, male, new riders you won't have the restraint to do these things and it will end very badly, we've all seen it before. You can kill yourself just the same on a 250 but choosing to start with a smaller, carburated bike, your odds are a bit better. The best thing you can do no matter what you ride is take a rider training course and buy good gear.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Take a rider training course. Best money I ever spent. Plus, you make some new riding friends and learn a ton of stuff about bikes in a very short period. Oh, and it will help keep you alive. That's important too. :coffee

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sweet. Say hi to Dat, Mo and Chris for me. You'll have a good time with them. I'm sure you can find some nice 500cc bikes here in the forums, or, if ya want some funky stuff, check out www.jpgreybike.com They have cool 400cc bikes imported from Japan. all older than 10 years though...but look super retro.

S

·
0 Posts
Yea, basically everyone here will give you the same answer from what I have seen. I learnt on a 450, and took no lessons. That is partially why I started on a 1988 450, because I couldn't afford the lessons. A no-no on my part, but whatever. I was kicking guys' asses that had the same riding time as me but were on 600's. So you will be more comfortable and faster on a slower bike. Especially if it costs a little less, and you're not going to crash your "shiny" new 600 F4i. But I also think, if you take lessons, you would be fine on a 600 as long as you know you're on a 600. My whore of an ex girlfriend rode before she took lessons, she scared me to watch and I thought she was going to down it so many times. She took Action motorcycles, now PRS. After that, she was a completely different rider, I was sort of shocked to be honest.

S

·
0 Posts
DaFonz said:
Just got off the phone with dat.. doing the weekend classes that start on the 23rd.. anyone else in that class?
Smart man. A lot smarter than a lot of people that want to ride. Oh, and for the future, if you wanna pick up the chicks like you said, lol. Don't call your
F4i "pretty" :surrender

·
Linguistic Ninja
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
StagnantWaterPo said:
Smart man. A lot smarter than a lot of people that want to ride. Oh, and for the future, if you wanna pick up the chicks like you said, lol. Don't call your
F4i "pretty" :surrender
how about totally "awesome"? I'll pose it up next year when i got my year of experience under my belt.. ah fuckkkkk i can't wait... need to find riding gear now!

·
Registered
622 Posts
haha. Sweet. Love the attitude DaFonz.

I learned from Mo and Chris and Dat and bought a CBR600 F4 (I don't have the " i " so I guess mine's not pretty) and it's a lot of bike. I love it but I'm careful and often reminded of just how much power is in these 600cc machines.

Post up some pics when ya get your bike.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11294

If you really want to learn without hurting yourself, during your course ask them about YSR's. I learned more about riding hard in one season of small bike racing than I did riding on the street. It's like big bike racing without the cost, speed, and injury. You're still capable or 90 Km/h and dragging knee but with much less consequence if you crash. And it's cheap!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Simple said:
Sweet. Say hi to Dat, Mo and Chris for me. You'll have a good time with them. I'm sure you can find some nice 500cc bikes here in the forums, or, if ya want some funky stuff, check out www.jpgreybike.com They have cool 400cc bikes imported from Japan. all older than 10 years though...but look super retro.
There are some cool bikes on this site. These imports though, are they hard to find parts for, and expensive to fix? Also would this place have them inspected and tuned before selling. Just asking if you know of course.......

·
Registered
622 Posts
To tell you the truth...I have no idea about that place. All I know is that those little 400s look sweet. You are probably right about the parts though.

·
retired panda racer...~_~
740 Posts
i think the greys are all older than 15 years...
there's an interesting "Grey Market Bikes" thread out there :thumbup

I started with a ZZR250 and it's been great...
the money i saved by getting smaller cc bike, i could spend more on gear and going to a motorcycle school.

sure, i can't get the bike to go faster than 170kph... but (especially when you're a new rider) i've never found times when i needed to go faster than that... plus i think you can lean over farther while going a slower speed... so i found a smaller cc bike to be a great learning bike....

that being said... i don't think there's anything wrong with an F4i
(except that my honda loving friends would never let me live it down if i'd switch to their hondaloving team ~__~)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts