·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my bike a while ago ....hooray...:rockon

thinking to do some work on my bike, but i realized it would be cooler if
i take down the side mirrors...

can i take them off ... ?
is there a law that motorbike has to attach the mirrors on .. ?

·
Addicted to two wheels
2,615 Posts
.....yah, they just unbolt. BUT...you have to have some form or sort of mirror. Pat (Purplekawi) on this board has the coolest little mirrors on the ends of his handlebar...and they work!. On my ZX10 all I see is my elbows.

·
Ride Solo
4,219 Posts
it would be way cooler if you reversed them so they face forward.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
You're putting FAR too much trust for your life into the hands of our extremely poor lower mainland drivers if you go with no mirrors. Also the need to spend extra time shoulder checking to make up for the lack of the prevue given by decent mirrors means you're blind to what the cars are doing in front of you for far too long.

Yeah it looks cool and racy but is it worth the extra risk of a crash for the look?

Now ALTERNATE mirrors is another thing entirely. You can go a little smaller and have them mounted somewhere else and still have the advantages without adding a lot of extra risk.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You're putting FAR too much trust for your life into the hands of our extremely poor lower mainland drivers if you go with no mirrors. Also the need to spend extra time shoulder checking to make up for the lack of the prevue given by decent mirrors means you're blind to what the cars are doing in front of you for far too long.

Yeah it looks cool and racy but is it worth the extra risk of a crash for the look?

Now ALTERNATE mirrors is another thing entirely. You can go a little smaller and have them mounted somewhere else and still have the advantages without adding a lot of extra risk.
i agree....you wont look cool if your bike is wrecked and you in the hospital....!!

better safe than sorry.........!!

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
just got my bike a while ago ....hooray...:rockon

thinking to do some work on my bike, but i realized it would be cooler if
i take down the side mirrors...

can i take them off ... ?
is there a law that motorbike has to attach the mirrors on .. ?
Given that this is posted in the new riders forum:

1) Are you a good enough rider to absolutely not need mirrors?
2) Do you think you know enough about "what you don't know yet" to make the decision for 1?
3) You are required to have mirrors by law.
4) IMO, you should worry more about learning hot to really ride, then start thinking about how to customize the bike.... but then what do I know...

Good luck and be safe out there.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
ya new riders on bikes with no mirrors... i guess it looks pretty cool from the patio table at starbucks while you gaze longingly at your sweet sporty bike parked out by the curb.
i have come quite close to running over idiots on mirrorless bikes changing lanes. they look beside them, but not BEHIND them. hence, the REAR view mirror moniker. hitting a car beside you wouldn't be so bad... getting run over by a passing car going 25km/h faster would just plain suck.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
I'd love to try one of those Reevu's out. It's the ideal concept if it can work and work well.

It's a close cousin of the heads up helmet display used by the military but without half the trouble.

·
Registered
437 Posts
legally have to have at least 1 mirror. don't matter where but have to have one. I got pulled over on one of my bikes after a bail and cop let me go cause I was a couple of blocks from home and he could see that my bike was hurtin'.
just my $0.02 worth

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them ....

·
Registered
241 Posts
the other option is to install a tiny camera on either side of the front and have two small LCD screens just above your tach/speedo. I know in the states they consider that to be a workable replacement.

·
565 Posts
Given that this is posted in the new riders forum:

1) Are you a good enough rider to absolutely not need mirrors?
And conversely, Are other drivers good enough that you do not need mirrors??

When I come to a stop at a light, in 1st gear and clutch in, guess what I'm staring at most of that time. My Mirrors, my escape route, glance at the traffic light occasionally, my mirrors, my mirrors, my mirrors.

·
Registered
271 Posts
wow... pretty soon we'll get all that..... nightvision, and a dvd player to look at while we're at the red stop lol or boring straight highway :p

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
i've seen squids down in the states who put little dental mirrors on the bike so they satisfy the law... can't remember what state(probably alot of them actually) but the wording of the law doesn't stipulate size/precise location of the mirror, just as long as it is mounted on the bike.
although that dvd player idea... me likey!!! it would help prevent the old head bob when i start getting all sleepy on those long straights!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts